I have worms

my buddy was head project manager on the maxtor 250gb HD project like 3 years ago... he told me to never by a drive over 80gb from maxtor.

and FG: why don't you disable the guest account and create an account with no priveledges for other people to use?

Over 80gig begins to defeat the speed. That is why I have 2 80gig maxtors in Raid 0.

xp pro works fine if you use firefox and windowsupdate.62nds.com

What do you use autocad for?
It's not just autocad; various IM services and more importantly the logs attached to them (the computer -is- my cell phone), 3 gigs of mail that I cant afford to lose, hundreds of documents in .docx. I could figure out how to migrate but it will take a lot of time and I dont really have a problem with windows. I actually like it sorta, I am one with the windows.

I can get a very nice job in june-july-ish though if I can figure out how to use autocad well though. I'm most of the way there, I never even use the mouse anymore. It's a horribly complicated program though...

I shall check out the various windows pirate stuff. I havent run an illegit OS since '03 though.

It's not just autocad; various IM services and more importantly the logs attached to them (the computer -is- my cell phone), 3 gigs of mail that I cant afford to lose, hundreds of documents in .docx. I could figure out how to migrate but it will take a lot of time and I dont really have a problem with windows. I actually like it sorta, I am one with the windows.

I can get a very nice job in june-july-ish though if I can figure out how to use autocad well though. I'm most of the way there, I never even use the mouse anymore. It's a horribly complicated program though...

I shall check out the various windows pirate stuff. I havent run an illegit OS since '03 though.

what in the hell do you mean you never use the mouse? you type in cordinates my hand? learn the osnap, change your aperature, change your crosshairs to take up full screen. 99% of shortcuts can be done via the command line (edit your acad.pgp file to customize your commands, mine are all set the left side of my keyboard so they can all be typed with my left hand... all are shortened too). keyboard is good for cordinates if you're pointing at a certain angle and type in 8 feet or whatever.

the grid is useless in 90% of all applications, but if you want to use it, don't forget to set your limits.

learn to customize your toolbar.

learn paperspace.

what type of cad work is it going to be?

what in the hell do you mean you never use the mouse? you type in cordinates my hand? learn the osnap, change your aperature, change your crosshairs to take up full screen. 99% of shortcuts can be done via the command line (edit your acad.pgp file to customize your commands, mine are all set the left side of my keyboard so they can all be typed with my left hand... all are shortened too). keyboard is good for cordinates if you're pointing at a certain angle and type in 8 feet or whatever.

the grid is useless in 90% of all applications, but if you want to use it, don't forget to set your limits.

learn to customize your toolbar.

learn paperspace.

what type of cad work is it going to be?
No, lol, I meant that the commands are easier to learn to type in than click around trying to find them. Snaps are quite possibly the most useful things I've ever used in any program ever.

Never turned on the grid to start with. I've been axing toolbars as I learn the commands because I just dont use them and my monitor is kinda small. Quickcalc is more useful than I realised at first.

I'm not entirely sure, it's my dad's employer, some summer thing for engineering students that they dont have enough people for. Keeping up revisions on various drawings was how it was explained to me. I expect mostly shuffling type crap but it is a worthwhile product to learn.

No, lol, I meant that the commands are easier to learn to type in than click around trying to find them. Snaps are quite possibly the most useful things I've ever used in any program ever.

Never turned on the grid to start with. I've been axing toolbars as I learn the commands because I just dont use them and my monitor is kinda small. Quickcalc is more useful than I realised at first.

I'm not entirely sure, it's my dad's employer, some summer thing for engineering students that they dont have enough people for. Keeping up revisions on various drawings was how it was explained to me. I expect mostly shuffling type crap but it is a worthwhile product to learn.

Also change your right mouse button to be "enter" instead of bringing up that menu or whatever. It's possibly the most productive thing you can do.

Didn't Seagate buy out Maxtor last year? That's like the Democratic Republic of the Congo buying Cameroon

Sometimes I need to read what I type:

I have a Maxtor network drive and 2 WD Raptor, 10,000 RPM internal hard drives in Raid 0.

Sometimes I need to read what I type:

I have a Maxtor network drive and 2 WD Raptor, 10,000 RPM internal hard drives in Raid 0.

I swear to God that I am never going to buy an another WD HHD again. I bought a WD 20Gb HHD many moons ago. I need RMAed it less then into a year of use. About 2 years ago I bought 2 WD HHDs, an 80Gb SATA and a 320Gb HHD. The 320 is pretty much toast and the 80 well on its' way. All of my Maxtors and Seagates that I have bought in the last 4-9 years are running fine. :rolleyes: :mad:

I have 27 gigs of info that need to be burned or transferred to a external hard drive so Knyte can format my computer. It is a peice of crap and needs it desperatley.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that someone suggested format/reinstall months ago.

I swear to God that I am never going to buy an another WD HHD again. I bought a WD 20Gb HHD many moons ago. I need RMAed it less then into a year of use. About 2 years ago I bought 2 WD HHDs, an 80Gb SATA and a 320Gb HHD. The 320 is pretty much toast and the 80 well on its' way. All of my Maxtors and Seagates that I have bought in the last 4-9 years are running fine. :rolleyes: :mad:
I dont think it's so much the branding as it is the... abuse, the drive goes through before you buy it. Like when I worked at Staples we would just knock over 12ft pallets of computer equipment and mark the stuff on the bottom (in a subtle way) as 'recco service plan'. I have drop kicked HDDs across the room and stuff, I cant imagine UPS does much better. It has to decrease their life expectancy.

On the plus side I got a lot of stuff on black friday when I worked there, with no abuse or anything and it's been running awesomely for years.

I went away for a week and I didn't want anyone using my dad's laptop while I was gone (cas I didn't feel like deleting all the cookies I have, and favorites, and what not ... and didn't want their nosey butts strolling through my files/pics at random ... damn if I didn't forget where I put the power cord right before I left.

..... and wouldn't you know it ... I didn't close the lid all the way either .....WOOPS. :D :fly:

I dont think it's so much the branding as it is the... abuse, the drive goes through before you buy it. Like when I worked at Staples we would just knock over 12ft pallets of computer equipment and mark the stuff on the bottom (in a subtle way) as 'recco service plan'. I have drop kicked HDDs across the room and stuff, I cant imagine UPS does much better. It has to decrease their life expectancy.

On the plus side I got a lot of stuff on black friday when I worked there, with no abuse or anything and it's been running awesomely for years.

When I worked at UPS I once saw about 30 gateway monitors jam up on a conveyer belt, the weight of the ones behind actually made the monitors in front explode. Was entertaining to say the least...

Electronics are engineered for a certain amount of "shock" though, which is the beating they plan on the device getting during shipping with X amount of packing material factored in.

Or incredibly pervasive viruses. Reinstalling windows. Anyone know any good lightweight backup utilities. Want to save my AIM logs and whatnot.

The moral of this story is if you dont want people using your computer take the keyboard with you.

I read this and thought you were literally installing windows - in your house, and needed tool advice! :fly: