I have worms

I've had a d620 for a few months now....I'm liking it

Only during my most hardcore of role playing game phases have I ever had to use a d620. It was machined out of solid aluminum and took a full thirty feet to roll to a stop. I had to rent a fucking uhaul to move it to the playing site and ended up burying it after the gaming session due to the storage costs inherent in owning such a thing.

The best investment for my rig as a back up was to get a 300 gig Maxtor network drive. Family digital photos go on it and all of my back ups.

Also, you can reinstall Windows on a small part of your drive while leaving the rest unformatted. Once into windows you can then format the rest, using Windows itself (disk management), to use for documents and game installations, etc. The only thing you can't do in Windows with disk management is resize a drive.

This way, you can always reinstall Windows without messing with the rest of your stuff. This also helps to speed up defrag.

I have 27 gigs of info that need to be burned or transferred to a external hard drive so Knyte can format my computer. It is a peice of crap and needs it desperatley.

lol maxtor

I usually buy 2 year old technology. However, I don't mind spending money where the real return is there. I have 2 Raptor, 10,000 rpm, hard drives in raid 0. The bang I get for that buck is greater than the latest and greatest CPU. So, to buy a high end network drive is a sound investment. The speed of getting files off of it is equal to many basic internal hard drives.

Maxtors in a Raid 0 o_O That isnt even something I'd risk. One drive kicks the bucket and you've lost everything. One of the drives on this machine is the same 100GB Western Digital I got on black friday 2003, 4 years of constant read/write and it still runs fine. No corruption or anything.

Maxtors in a Raid 0 o_O That isnt even something I'd risk. One drive kicks the bucket and you've lost everything. One of the drives on this machine is the same 100GB Western Digital I got on black friday 2003, 4 years of constant read/write and it still runs fine. No corruption or anything.

I have two old Dell's (over 6 years old) that still have the same power supplies. So, stuff will last. I went through two DeskStars until I learned my lesson. I had one Seagate go bad. I have read good things about Maxtors... so far so good. The increase in over all speed of the rig is phenomenal with the Raptors in Raid 0. Even if I get a glitch and have to format (I screwed the pooch getting the Vista GUI to work with my bootleg XP). The network drive has all the back up. So, personally, I would buy and cheaper CPU and put my money in a fast solid hard drive with a good back up drive.

But, as with anything else, your aggregate money to spend will ultimately dictate what you buy.

Last edited:
Only during my most hardcore of role playing game phases have I ever had to use a d620. It was machined out of solid aluminum and took a full thirty feet to roll to a stop. I had to rent a fucking uhaul to move it to the playing site and ended up burying it after the gaming session due to the storage costs inherent in owning such a thing.

:lol:
You da man, Dan

my buddy was head project manager on the maxtor 250gb HD project like 3 years ago... he told me to never by a drive over 80gb from maxtor.

and FG: why don't you disable the guest account and create an account with no priveledges for other people to use?

my buddy was head project manager on the maxtor 250gb HD project like 3 years ago... he told me to never by a drive over 80gb from maxtor.

and FG: why don't you disable the guest account and create an account with no priveledges for other people to use?

I've done that now. There was so much whining when I woke up because people tried to install games. Bwahahaha.

I wish I had XP pro though so I could set the policy a little better.

aaarrrrrrrrr matey, why don't you go find yourself a copy?

or install debian, that'll really piss them off.
I am a huge fan of BSD because I used to have a seperate computer running as a router. It is awesomely awesome and I was finally getting proficient using it. The problem is I run primarily MS only programs, e.g. Autocad, so using it as a desktop is just useless and dual boot creates more problems than it solves.

Pirated Server 2003 use to be the way I rolled. Until it became more of a headache to keep it from authenticating and killing itself than just using my legal copy of XP.

I wish they'd put XP Pro on sale now that vista is out. I'd happily pay $50 for a full copy.