WTF I have decided to unfollow Jesus.

some churches are great! they do charity and provide mutual aid and take care of their communities, the whole community, not just the congregation. that's what's up.

the church I "left" didn't suck as far as churches go, I just felt like in was inappropriate for me to be an acolyte as a nonbeliever. I went through the edgy atheist phase a lot of folks do, but I'm at a point where I an wary of the institution but can be appreciative and acknowledge the good it can do (while still being wary of the harm)

is there a particular denomination that calls to you, and if so, what I'd it about it that appeals to you above others? you don't have to answer if it'd make you uncomfortable, and I'm asking out of curiosity, not condemnation or to try to talk you out of it (I'm awful at conveying tone via text so I'm trying to be better about predicting where my tone might be misread)
I too went through a edgy atheist phase haha.

I think it will be hard for me to find a church that will do good for the community to my standards. I know a lot of churches are basically club houses for the rich, but I'm not into that. It's fine if they like their club, but I'm not going to support that kind of selfishness.

I don't really like the idea of denominations. It's convenient to have a good idea of what a church believes in general, but a lot of people care too much about just their denomination. I wouldn't rule a church out because they associate with one, but I think the label is mostly unnecessary.

My biggest thing is wanting to find a church that is okay with me being pro choice and that is cool with people loving who they want to love, regardless of sex and gender.

I think it will be hard for me to find a church that will do good for the community to my standards. I know a lot of churches are basically club houses for the rich, but I'm not into that. It's fine if they like their club, but I'm not going to support that kind of selfishness.

I don't really like the idea of denominations. It's convenient to have a good idea of what a church believes in general, but a lot of people care too much about just their denomination. I wouldn't rule a church out because they associate with one, but I think the label is mostly unnecessary.

My biggest thing is wanting to find a church that is okay with me being pro choice and that is cool with people loving who they want to love, regardless of sex and gender.

Separate denominations exist because people continue to misinterpret the message.

Protestant supporters of abortion rights include the United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church, the Episcopal Church, the United Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA), and the Lutheran Women's Caucus.[10][38]
(from Wikipedia)
there's also unitarian universalism, but that's not christianity, strictly speaking. it doesn't have to NOT be, it's just very individualist so YMMV across congregants

a lot of the original differences in denominations have to do with a combination of interpretation of scripture and disagreements on minister the faith wrt rules/regulations, but obviously at this point most of them have warped since the time of schism. I wasn't sure if a particular interpretation or I guess, style? appealed to you.

Thats all cool and stuff, but, hey, do me a favor?
When they pass around that collection plate, ask them what theyre doing with that money. Then ask them to prove it.
I've been involved in the business of churchs many times. I have a pretty good idea of how churches use that money. Like I said, it will be hard for me to find a church.

Protestant supporters of abortion rights include the United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church, the Episcopal Church, the United Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA), and the Lutheran Women's Caucus.[10][38]
(from Wikipedia)
there's also unitarian universalism, but that's not christianity, strictly speaking. it doesn't have to NOT be, it's just very individualist so YMMV across congregants
Plenty of Methodist and Presbyterian churches near me.

I wouldn't have a problem with unitarian universalism, but there are none close enough to me.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Also:

9gfqh7hucwlz.jpg

Plenty of Methodist and Presbyterian churches near me.

I wouldn't have a problem with unitarian universalism, but there are none close enough to me.
also, if you find one that aligns well with your beliefs but don't have a good mutual aid kinda program set up, you can always start one yourself!

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD