WTF I have decided to unfollow Jesus.

Just find a Wisconsin synod Lutheran church, then it'll all make sense. Old Missouri synod too. Not new Missouri synod though, and whatever you do stay away from the ELCA, they're nuts.

Oh yeah Episcopal does the purgatory stuff too, if I'm not mistaken. Most churches are Baptist and Methodist around here. They don't have as many books in the bible as Catholic bibles.

I tried to go back to church after I stopped believing, for the community aspect, but I couldn't get past a few things; homosexuality being a sin, being born a sinner, the requirement of 100% conformity. I've only been to one church that wasn't like that and I was told I wasn't dressed properly, hard pass.

I'd love to hear about what kind of misunderstanding could have put you in the church, if it's not too personal.
3rd paragraph - me to. But different journey. Parent's were staunch atheists. I don't consider my time there(church) wasted, it gave me "data: I could mull over and come to my own conclusions. I'm tired. Y'all burning in hell - see ya there.:haaay: *excerpt maybe kiwi, she ain't sick like the rest'a yall.

• Gravy
Reactions: kiwi and OOD
Oh yeah Episcopal does the purgatory stuff too, if I'm not mistaken. Most churches are Baptist and Methodist around here. They don't have as many books in the bible as Catholic bibles.

I tried to go back to church after I stopped believing, for the community aspect, but I couldn't get past a few things; homosexuality being a sin, being born a sinner, the requirement of 100% conformity. I've only been to one church that wasn't like that and I was told I wasn't dressed properly, hard pass.

I'd love to hear about what kind of misunderstanding could have put you in the church, if it's not too personal.
bro it is literally the dumbest thing

I thought the host was mushrooms. not, like, the drug kind, but like... slices of button mushrooms.

so in like 3rd grade I started going to church with my Grandma and worked my way up through Confirmation and Communion only to find out it's those shitty wafers. but I was in too deep at that point to admit my mistake, especially because of how incredibly STUPID it all was. and I tried to believe in the stuff I was learning and saying but I also could believe that everyone else believed that stuff, like they MUST have also been Acting™, maybe not because of something like being to embarrassed to admit they'd wasted hours of their life in pursuit of edible fungus but clearly something made them play along.

I made it almost to the end of high school before I stopped serving because I was so terrified of being a disappointment, plus I had independently ended up coming up with what I'd later learn was Pascal's wager, but I was also doing Sea Cadets and Civil Air Patrol, the latter of which I was frequently doing colorguard competitions for and training so I just kind of had enough. I still felt like shit quitting.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: wetwillie and OOD

I thought the host was mushrooms. not, like, the drug kind, but like... slices of button mushrooms.

so in like 3rd grade I started going to church with my Grandma and worked my way up through Confirmation and Communion only to find out it's those shitty wafers. but I was in too deep at that point to admit my mistake, especially because of how incredibly STUPID it all was. and I tried to believe in the stuff I was learning and saying but I also could believe that everyone else believed that stuff, like they MUST have also been Acting™, maybe not because of something like being to embarrassed to admit they'd wasted hours of their life in pursuit of edible fungus but clearly something made them play along.

I made it almost to the end of high school before I stopped serving because I was so terrified of being a disappointment, plus I had independently ended up coming up with what I'd later learn was Pascal's wager, but I was also doing Sea Cadets and Civil Air Patrol, the latter of which I was frequently doing colorguard competitions for and training so I just kind of had enough. I still felt like shit quitting.
That's awesome. Definitely an unexpected response. Except for being "in too deep" that's a familiar feeling.

3rd paragraph - me to. But different journey. Parent's were staunch atheists. I don't consider my time there(church) wasted, it gave me "data: I could mull over and come to my own conclusions. I'm tired. Y'all burning in hell - see ya there.:haaay: *excerpt maybe kiwi, she ain't sick like the rest'a yall.
Don’t worry. I’ll come convert you all in the after life so you can be saved.

Good explanation - happens to many.
Pascal's Wager - to "true believers" you are gonna burn in hell for not having unshakable faith!!!!!!! YOU HEATHEN!!

I really enjoyed being an atheist as a kid - oh the arguments I would come up with to rattle the Christian kids. In a "weak moment" I accepted Christ when I was 13 - deal is I had been asked to travel with a Pastor(nice guy) and play piano for the old folks when he did these outreach sessions at the nursing homes. He wasn't a creeper, I got away from the 'hood, got a meal at MickyDs, maybe an ice cream and the old folks gave me high praise. Then I dropped the idea completely and went back to "God doesn't exist".. Fast forward to 30: I'm just remarried and my wife wanted me to take my kids to church(she worked weekends so this was funny, but I digress). First week some lady turned around and said "my you have a nice voice, our choir needs you". And thus began about 25 years as a church musician, 5-6 with Christian bands doing charity stuff, 2.5 year facilitating a Grief Share group. The people were nice, I think the fear/hope of God helps many people be less asshole(some it makes more,duh). Honestly, I was mainly there to play some music - finding bandmates who aren't flakes is difficult. And maybe to answer my questions. I am now in alignment with Pascal(below)

"If I saw no signs of a divinity, I would fix myself in denial. If I saw everywhere the marks of a Creator, I would repose peacefully in faith. But seeing too much to deny Him, and too little to assure me, I am in a pitiful state, and I would wish a hundred times that if a god sustains nature it would reveal Him without ambiguity.["

*On paper I'm an ordained minister - it was just an internet ordination with the CHurch of GiveMoney so I could marry my step-daughter and tell the assembled crowd, "I am the Reverend Eddie C., and it is so good to be!" No I didn't say that - I can fake normal behavior at will. :D

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: OOD
4c5gmh24f0d61.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Good explanation - happens to many.
Pascal's Wager - to "true believers" you are gonna burn in hell for not having unshakable faith!!!!!!! YOU HEATHEN!!

I really enjoyed being an atheist as a kid - oh the arguments I would come up with to rattle the Christian kids. In a "weak moment" I accepted Christ when I was 13 - deal is I had been asked to travel with a Pastor(nice guy) and play piano for the old folks when he did these outreach sessions at the nursing homes. He wasn't a creeper, I got away from the 'hood, got a meal at MickyDs, maybe an ice cream and the old folks gave me high praise. Then I dropped the idea completely and went back to "God doesn't exist".. Fast forward to 30: I'm just remarried and my wife wanted me to take my kids to church(she worked weekends so this was funny, but I digress). First week some lady turned around and said "my you have a nice voice, our choir needs you". And thus began about 25 years as a church musician, 5-6 with Christian bands doing charity stuff, 2.5 year facilitating a Grief Share group. The people were nice, I think the fear/hope of God helps many people be less asshole(some it makes more,duh). Honestly, I was mainly there to play some music - finding bandmates who aren't flakes is difficult. And maybe to answer my questions. I am now in alignment with Pascal(below)

"If I saw no signs of a divinity, I would fix myself in denial. If I saw everywhere the marks of a Creator, I would repose peacefully in faith. But seeing too much to deny Him, and too little to assure me, I am in a pitiful state, and I would wish a hundred times that if a god sustains nature it would reveal Him without ambiguity.["

*On paper I'm an ordained minister - it was just an internet ordination with the CHurch of GiveMoney so I could marry my step-daughter and tell the assembled crowd, "I am the Reverend Eddie C., and it is so good to be!" No I didn't say that - I can fake normal behavior at will. :D
Hey I'm an ordained minister too! All we need is a few hippies and we can start a cult.

• Love
Hey I'm an ordained minister too! All we need is a few hippies and we can start a cult.
Sounds cool - until someone decides "this is our doctrine and you can't be in the circle if you ain't 100% on board."
I was never booted from a church but it was suggested a few times that I could find a new one. Or as one Pastor said "you're a change agent and we don't need any change." That kind of stupid is why I switched to just playing with people for charity stuff. I'll come to any funeral and sing, play or give the eulogy.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Sounds cool - until someone decides "this is our doctrine and you can't be in the circle if you ain't 100% on board."
I was never booted from a church but it was suggested a few times that I could find a new one. Or as one Pastor said "you're a change agent and we don't need any change." That kind of stupid is why I switched to just playing with people for charity stuff. I'll come to any funeral and sing, play or give the eulogy.
Yeah I don't like being told my ideas about god are wrong. I say collect a wide range of information and especially search within. I kept changing my ideas about Christianity so much that no church would want me to speak in them, unless I drive all the way to Charlotte. So I just call myself a Pantheist now. Sometimes I sound like a theist, other times an atheist. "Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)" If the three largest religions in the world can do It, so can I.

• Gravy
Hey I'm spending a lot of time leading my co-workers to the truths of the bible, which they haven't even read.

Baby steps I guess.

Maybe you're more of a sergeant than a commander, or maybe more of a small team leader instead of an organizational head if that's more relatable. You're not going to get people blindly following you and sending you their daughters with their life savings tucked in their bra in any case with this attitude.

You are charismatic that's for sure. Seems you need a coach of sorts to parlay that into results though.