WTF I have decided to unfollow Jesus.

A son of a God. Uh huh.
Jesus is considered to be god, the one true god in some cases, by a significant portion of Christians. Anybody who knows anything about religion knows that. A shit load of people are getting ready to celebrate his birth in a couple of hours, myself included. Jesus is totally cool. 100% god and 100% man at the same time, depending on your denomination.

Lot of biblical scholars, using stuff like when people would've gathered for the census, conception and birth of John, when the shepherds would've actually had their flocks out free-range grazing, etc. put Jesus birth in the fall, likely late-ish September sometime.

Solstice was used to coincide with established pagan rituals or holidays in order to be more comfortable and familiar for them so as to be more receptive to having their souls saved from certain fiery demise. They basically went out of their way and even reorganized the calendar in an effort to bring others into the loving embrace of God, a tradition that continues to this day.

Lot of biblical scholars, using stuff like when people would've gathered for the census, conception and birth of John, when the shepherds would've actually had their flocks out free-range grazing, etc. put Jesus birth in the fall, likely late-ish September sometime.

Solstice was used to coincide with established pagan rituals or holidays in order to be more comfortable and familiar for them so as to be more receptive to having their souls saved from certain fiery demise. They basically went out of their way and even reorganized the calendar in an effort to bring others into the loving embrace of God, a tradition that continues to this day.
It's easier than that. Joseph was going to the capital to pay his taxes. I'm certain the scholars have a pretty good bead on when Rome charged the provinces annual tax.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
It's easier than that. Joseph was going to the capital to pay his taxes. I'm certain the scholars have a pretty good bead on when Rome charged the provinces annual tax.

Yeah but saving the pagans gives April a better eyeroll.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
With communication and transportation as it was back then I'm sure they had some tax deadline like we do April 15th but I doubt they had to do it on some specific day or even week. More like "get it here by this day, earlier than that is OK".

Agrarian economy. Roads traveled by oxcart, donkey, and foot.
Fall would be when people sold crops, got money, and went to pay their pound of flesh.
Would make sense to do census at the same time.
Roads would be terrible in winter.
Shepherds wouldn't be grazing their flocks in winter. They'd be feeding them in the stables with the grain they'd harvested that fall.
All that plus some biblical cross-referencing the birth of John and his age difference to Jesus says late September.
Tax deadline may well have been October 1st or some other fall day they figured everybody should have their crops in and be flush with cash.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and nukes
With communication and transportation as it was back then I'm sure they had some tax deadline like we do April 15th but I doubt they had to do it on some specific day or even week. More like "get it here by this day, earlier than that is OK".

Fall would be when people sold crops, got money, and went to pay their pound of flesh.
Shepherds wouldn't be grazing their flocks in winter. They'd be feeding them in the stables with the grain they'd harvested that fall.
All that plus some biblical cross-referencing the birth of John and his age difference to Jesus says late September.
Tax deadline may well have been October 1st or some other fall day they figured everybody should have their crops in and be flush with cash.
Winter isn't and probably wasn't an issue in Judea. It's the Middle East it's desert. It may have been the rainy season however. You might not want to walk or take your Ox cart across the country in rainy season.

April 15 - "Everybody gets fucked, it's @APRIL !"