I have a money dilema

buy ONE pair of versatile, good quality shoes and give the rest back. you don't need a couch or clothes. if you really want them, you put your cigarette money towards them.

I suppose that's an idea. I might ring them to see if they can take a little bit of the money back. I don't even know if they'll let me give it back?

hmm. here, we can use what we want if there's too much and give back what we want. you don't want student loans at the end though. you really don't. i don't know what we'd do if i had student loans like spange does. :( OUCH.

if they don't take it back, find a cozy home for it to make some interest for you and then pay it all back the first month you can.

Do what Thorn says and put the rest in an account to grow so when the time comes to pay it back you'll have a little extra.

Self control sucks tho.

btw, I say spend the money. 2% is less than inflation (probably way less these days), so when you pay it back later you're actually earning money.

Well, shoes monetarily depreciate, but whatever.

btw, I say spend the money. 2% is less than inflation (probably way less these days), so when you pay it back later you're actually earning money.

Well, shoes monetarily depreciate, but whatever.

yeah man. and if it was the US I'd say spend it cause the dollar is probably depreciating daily.

why are you getting fuck all from the SLC?

I get about 6k per year not including tuition fees.

In these times of credit crunch and debt, I'm pondering doing something potentially a little stupid, not totally not a little.

So...I have just started a degree and as part of this the univeristy has given me £245 (non-repayable) to buy a laptop or PC, in addition to this the student loans company has given me £255 (repayable at 2% APR). Now I managed to buy a little notebook laptop for £245 so now I have this other money sat in my bank account.

The longer it's sat there the more I think about the fact I need new shoes, would love to have some more clothes for work (I feel a bit trampy rotating between 3 pairs of trousers) or possibly a nice comfy sofa for my living room seeing as one of mine has broken.

Now my question is should I spend this money and repay it in a few years time, or do I (as my head tells me) give it back. It's not a huge amuont of money and the mind has a funny way of telling you that you deserve things when you don't i.e. I haven't smoked for x amount of days so I deserve to treat myself.

Advise me.

My sister did this exact thing that you are contemplating.

First: rememeber, this is exactly like a credit card! You WILL have to pay it back later. And the more you "charge" the more you owe, obviously. Also, the more you spend, the more of an "itch" you get to ask for more.

My sister was handed money left and right from her college. She got bored of her master's program, and broke up with her fiance, then moved 1,500 miles back home. Three years of school cost her $50,000 US from the combo of tuition plus the "free money", and she's stuck paying that off!

Point is, you have no idea how you will feel in 1-2 years about what you're going to school for, or even if you want to continue and instead jump into a career. And whatever you do, you will still have amassed a ton of debt, that you will be stuck paying for many years after you've graduated!

You speak the truth Juleee, except with my course I don't owe any money, the reason I'm doing distance learning is because then I can work full time throughout. I pay up front for all my fees so this would be the only thing I'll have borrowed. Which is a pretty light debt for a student I suppose.

My sister did this exact thing that you are contemplating.

First: rememeber, this is exactly like a credit card! You WILL have to pay it back later. And the more you "charge" the more you owe, obviously. Also, the more you spend, the more of an "itch" you get to ask for more.

My sister was handed money left and right from her college. She got bored of her master's program, and broke up with her fiance, then moved 1,500 miles back home. Three years of school cost her $50,000 US from the combo of tuition plus the "free money", and she's stuck paying that off!

Point is, you have no idea how you will feel in 1-2 years about what you're going to school for, or even if you want to continue and instead jump into a career. And whatever you do, you will still have amassed a ton of debt, that you will be stuck paying for many years after you've graduated!

But at a 2% interest rate, you're losing money by giving it back. It's cheaper for her to buy the shoes now with this money than earn and spend it later.