Food I have a confession to make.

I know more about the specifics of my condition than most of the rotation doctors... want to talk about waste in the medical system... it's dumb how often I get sent to other departments for non-relevant/contra-indicated procedures.
Sadly, that hasn’t changed in the 20 years I’ve paid attention to it.

Between cancer, and a few other chronic conditions it’s terrifying how bad some of the interactions are.

I know people in legit pain that can’t get meds, and all they want to give me in the ER is pain pills or morphine, and I have to politely refuse multiple times lol.

Food is often a big replacement for some, work is another, so is exercise. I became quite involved in a recovery community, so I guess there’s that. A lot of people in recovery already smoked, I don’t think they started after quitting something else.

When you spend the amount of time that addicts do in their addictions, you’re bound to need something to fill that time up.
I quit going to bars and took up frisbee with my kids instead.

Sadly, that hasn’t changed in the 20 years I’ve paid attention to it.

Between cancer, and a few other chronic conditions it’s terrifying how bad some of the interactions are.

I know people in legit pain that can’t get meds, and all they want to give me in the ER is pain pills or morphine, and I have to politely refuse multiple times lol.
Yeah. I've been here little over a month and you really start to see the cracks.

I quit going to bars and took up frisbee with my kids instead.
I've taken up reading again which is delightful. A couple of my friends still drink so I don't see them as much but when I do we actually do stuff rather than waste our money feeling bad.

Joe (partner to catch you up) would often have a couple of beers at home to unwind after work and since we quit he realised he was using watching TV as an excuse to drink, he was only passively watching it. He reads a lot more now. But he is also secretly eating huge bars of chocolate every day when I'm out. I've set a timeline on him for end of June then it's gotta stop and he's gonna have to join me in being healthy.

Chain smoking, like my parents did until they had kids, is arguably just as bad. I of course didn't know them in the 70s but there are like no pics of my mom from that period where she doesn't have a cigarette and my dad always had a cigar stump.
For your health sure, but not so much for your place in society. Drug and alcohol abuse is way more destructive in that way.

How many people have had their kids taken away because of smoking cigarettes? Lost their license? Got fired from a job? Ended up in jail?
Yeah. That's not precisely how I would define the term "place in society". Someone says that it makes me think they are equating class/education, 'value' if you will with the issues.

Remember um A christmas carol scrooges response to the bit about about the workhouses and people not going there because they would rather die and then he said that it would It would decrease the surplus population.

I dont miss smoking, but i miss taking smoke breaks
Yeah the whole take 5, collect yourself, and do something with your hands was why it took me so long. I still need a clicky pen or something to play with.

and also Good Pops , theyre these fruit-juice frozen popcicle things and I get angry if I dont get at lease one a day
I think there may be heroin in them or something
That’s me and tea.

I drink a lot of fucking tea.

My 11yo is pissed that an entire kitchen shelf is tea.

But it is (slowly) reducing the amount of booze I glug down.