I had never considered age as a discriminatory factor until recently

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
I had never much thought about the concept of discriminating someone based on their age until several weeks ago. What got me thinking about it is an older gentlemen (mid-50s) in our phone tech support department who is trying to get promoted into our desktop team. When I heard about this the first thing that came to mind was "Him? He's over the hill, he's not going to add much to the team". I thought this not only because he was older, but also because he hadn't really accomplished much with his life so far. If he's in his 50s and just barely breaching desktop why would there be any reason to believe he's going to excel at doing that?

Maybe he's just had a late start, maybe he had to start over, maybe you could actually learn a lot from him, even if not job related, but life related cause he's had more experiences then you, maybe you should quit being such a jerk all the time!

*goes off to cry.

Because maybe he decided at 45 that he wanted to go into IT support after a long running successful career elsewhere?

Were that the case, and I'm sure there are such people out there, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but he's been doing "IT" for 15 years now.

Maybe he's just had a late start, maybe he had to start over, maybe you could actually learn a lot from him, even if not job related, but life related cause he's had more experiences then you, maybe you should quit being such a jerk all the time!

*goes off to cry.

stfu/gtfo

I've had the same stuff when interviewing for field guys. I can't help but think in my mind do I want to be calling this dude at 2am to get up drive a few hours and go into a customer site.

Maybe he's always dabbled in computers as a hobby, and work in an entirely different field as a career. With the recent economic recession, he could have been laid off. He has now decided that since IT is a pretty secure industry, and that he should give it a shot.

I always age descriminate. I think people over 55 should be required to take a driving test every year, and I don't date girls younger than me.

It's hard not to depending on the type of job. If I'm agreeing to pay someone a shit load of money I need to know that they can be ready when I need them and work days straight if needed.

I've had the same stuff when interviewing for field guys. I can't help but think in my mind do I want to be calling this dude at 2am to get up drive a few hours and go into a customer site.

I find the absolute best guys I work with for field work, are those who have it as a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th career, are ex-military, and are close to retirement :lol: