I guess I'm a Linux admin now

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
My boss came to see me yesterday afternoon and said "Do you know anything about Suse Linux?" to which I replied "Yeah, a little bit, I could probably figure it out." He then told me to download the latest version of it and have it installed on one of our servers by the end of the week, so I guess I'm a Linux admin in addition to the bunch of other things that I've taught myself to do since I started this job :) . I'd like to clarify that I'm by no means complaining. I love the challenge of figuring new things out, I've always felt that complacency eventually breeds comtempt, so the more new things they throw at me here the better.

The point of this thread is for the veteran Linux men out there to help with some hints or point me in the direction of some good documentation that they've used in the past. Any help would be appreciated!

1099259313645.jpg

ChikkenNoodul said:
If the hardware is from a large vendor, they sometimes have forums with discussions on how successful people have been with installing various Linux versions.

At least Dell did back when I was toying with running SuSE on my old laptop...

It's a Dell PowerEdge 1800.

ChikkenNoodul said:
:lol:

Never used those, just the Latitude forums a few years back

I thought both their servers and desktops were utter shite back then, have no experience with the newer stuff
They are still shit. We're losing 1-2 SATA hard drives a week out of last years 300 pc order. Genius.

fly said:
Yup. SATAs dying left and right. People are pissed.

backup backup backup
and create images for quick restore of the OS with a new drive

stupid IT guys..

maximum downtown for any PC should be 10 minutes ..

fly said:

dell did a fairly large desktop drive recall last year...might these have been from that batch? I know we were swapping them out all over the building

pa said:
backup backup backup

stupid IT guys..

What is it you do again?

fly said:

The 270s/280s were/are horrible.

why_ask_why said:
dell did a fairly large desktop drive recall last year...might these have been from that batch? I know we were swapping them out all over the building
Its possible, but I think we would have heard something about it. We had a shitload of 260s warranteed for hard drives last year...

pa said:
backup backup backup

stupid IT guys..

+2 hours because User has "Ultra Important Data that Cannot be lost, yet isn't worth paying the $1/MB charge for data recovery" on their local drive, despite IT's pleading to save all project specific work on network drives and/or use the workstation backup software we have provided.

+1-3 hours installing project and locale specific software that isn't important enough to include in the global corporate image.

+1 hour installing/testing system and software hotfixes because the corporate image is updated quarterly, and doesn't include vendor patches.

+1 hour pushing backed up data (if present) and configuring email, internet, and other "highly technical" settings that the User couldn't possibly be bothered with.

You're right though, IT's responsibility should end after 10 minutes... If it weren't for those pesky users, it'd be true too.