I get inner ear infections, still.

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
^_^
Marklar
₥5
For those of you who know my pain I will give you a “we rock”. We rock.

At least twice a year I suffer from chronic otitis media, acute – or better known as chronic inner ear infections. The eustation tubes on both of my ears never fully matured as I grew older, meaning they slant like a child’s and therefore are at risk of not draining properly.

Earanatomy9631.jpg

It always starts out the same, and always ends viciously. At first it’s just a harmless cold, but by day three fluid is so backed up in my eustation tube it’s just a matter of time before it pushes its way through my ear drum, causing it to erupt and leaving me deaf in that ear for a month. Sometimes, I am lucky, and able to drain the tube backwards through high powered decongestants and antibiotics, but a lot of times, I’m not. Right now, as I write this thread, BOTH of my ears are infected, and I can tell you this, my equilibrium is so thrown off I had to hitch a ride in to work and I fell into a wall on my way to my office.

Last edited:
:( i'm sorry to hear that. one of my girlfriends had that in one ear, and she thought, if she was lucky, she'd die. i hope you get it resolved somehow!! :(

Part of my mom's inner ear disappeared, the part that handled the equilibrium, when she was in her mid 30's and as a result she has a hard time riding escalators, elevators and merry-go-rounds. Maybe if you're lucky, your infections will kill your equilibrium too.

Heh I know exactly where you are coming from. Although I haven't had one in probably a year, I get them ALL THE TIME.
I've had chronic ear problems/infections my whole life. I've had the surgery and everything (that only worked for about 3 years). I've taken so much of that shitty banana medicine they give you its disgusting.

I hope it gets better real soon, but from what I remember, you're in for a painful few days.

:heart:

itburnswhenipee said:
Can't they drill a vent in your head or something?
actually, there's something close to that where they put little tubes in your ears to drain the fluids, but they only last 6 months and then they fall out.

Unfortunately my ear infections are so frequent I'd need the surgery every 6 months for the rest of my life, which would ultimately damage my hearing

Thorn Bird said:
:( i'm sorry to hear that. one of my girlfriends had that in one ear, and she thought, if she was lucky, she'd die. i hope you get it resolved somehow!! :(
I'm used to this mess :lol:

elpmis said:
actually, there's something close to that where they put little tubes in your ears to drain the fluids, but they only last 6 months and then they fall out.
Speaking from experience.... its not worth it. It worked for about 3 years for me. One tube refused to come out on its own, sot he Dr had to remove it. The other one fell out in my sleep. Scared the shit outta me, I remember waking up thinking "What the fuck just fell outta my head" :lol:

elpmis said:

Unfortunately my ear infections are so frequent I'd need the surgery every 6 months for the rest of my life, which would ultimately damage my hearing

I'm sure a bolt-on cold air intake and a Type R sticker will clear you up in no time.