I face a dilema - Monitoring Software

zengirl said:
So, on this note... :eek:

Ooo uuhh... I've been emailing back and forth with my mom while she's been at work, and we go back and forth quite a bit (like beyond excessively) and about 5 minutes ago I just got this email from her:

"Hey, I just got fired!!!"

Oops

pics of email for proof

zengirl said:
I always thought it was just common sense to assume that any corporate computer use was monitored or could be monitored at any time?

And theac... as a standard template for any company handbook, theres a special section dedicated to computer use:

http://uselessforums.com/files/100305/internetpolicy.JPG[/IM]
[IMG]http://uselessforums.com/files/100305/internetpolicy2.JPG[/IM]
[IMG]http://uselessforums.com/files/100305/internetpolicy3.JPG[/IM]
[IMG]http://uselessforums.com/files/100305/internetpolicy4.JPG[/IM][/QUOTE]Hey, if its already in there, cool. No need to warn anyone. I'm just saying that if it wasn't and its becoming policy, you have to tell people first. Otherwise, you're just implementing random policy changes and that doesn't stirke me as kosher with HR.

theacoustician said:
Hey, if its already in there, cool. No need to warn anyone. I'm just saying that if it wasn't and its becoming policy, you have to tell people first. Otherwise, you're just implementing random policy changes and that doesn't stirke me as kosher with HR.

Right, and from an ethical standpoint I agree with you, but there is nothing on paper that REQUIRES you to notify your employees at this point.

KNYTE said:
pics of email for proof
Oopsiedoops.JPG

I had a job once where they did that. We were a computer parts reseller, like to end user and small business customers, that sort of thing. They would just log on to our machines arbitrarily throughout the day and check out what we were looking at. It was their right and all, since it was their equipment, their policy, etc.

But anyway, I got tired of it one day and downloaded a bloated overkill of a anti-monitoring program from a guy's website and buried it deep down in my hard drive and installed it. He was just some bitter software engineer that a buddy of mine in the ATF had told me about. He wasn't a criminal or anything, he had just been laid off and had a ton of kickass freeware stuff on his website.

The day after I installed that thing there was a helpdesk tech in my cube "checking some things" when I got there. He fumbled around, checked the registry, and left. The next day a different guy showed, and he checked some additional things. That same afternoon a third guy came and replaced my CPU. He was like "We were having some issues with your hardware."

Sarcasmo said:
I had a job once where they did that. We were a computer parts reseller, like to end user and small business customers, that sort of thing. They would just log on to our machines arbitrarily throughout the day and check out what we were looking at. It was their right and all, since it was their equipment, their policy, etc.

But anyway, I got tired of it one day and downloaded a bloated overkill of a anti-monitoring program from a guy's website and buried it deep down in my hard drive and installed it. He was just some bitter software engineer that a buddy of mine in the ATF had told me about. He wasn't a criminal or anything, he had just been laid off and had a ton of kickass freeware stuff on his website.

The day after I installed that thing there was a helpdesk tech in my cube "checking some things" when I got there. He fumbled around, checked the registry, and left. The next day a different guy showed, and he checked some additional things. That same afternoon a third guy came and replaced my CPU. He was like "We were having some issues with your hardware."
bahahahahaha :fly:

zengirl said:
If the company owns the computers and pays for the internet, and for the employees, whatever the employees do during work hours and/or with company resources is the company's property.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

yeah, but at what point is it envasive. That's like saying they have a right to go through your purse because you brought it in to the building. If he is worried about time being wasted, he should just block web access.

SpangeMonkee said:
yeah, but at what point is it envasive. That's like saying they have a right to go through your purse because you brought it in to the building. If he is worried about time being wasted, he should just block web access.
It's absolutely different. A purse is personal property. A computer is company property. There is absolutely nothing about a work computer that is personal.

If you treat people like children and criminals, it won't win their hearts and minds. You want to be draconian with your computer policy, its your right. Don't expect your employees to be loyal if you don't demonstrate any trust in them. As long as you get the job done and aren't breaking the law, who give a crap.

theacoustician said:
If you treat people like children and criminals, it won't win their hearts and minds. You want to be draconian with your computer policy, its your right. Don't expect your employees to be loyal if you don't demonstrate any trust in them. As long as you get the job done and aren't breaking the law, who give a crap.

QFMFT!

theacoustician said:
Exactly. Treating people like children does not foster efficiency.

fly said:
Exactly. Treating people like children does not foster efficiency.
And giving them free reign will tempt them to be lazy and unproductive :fly:

Tust me on that ;)

zengirl said:
So, on this note... :eek:

Ooo uuhh... I've been emailing back and forth with my mom while she's been at work, and we go back and forth quite a bit (like beyond excessively) and about 5 minutes ago I just got this email from her:

"Hey, I just got fired!!!"

Oops

What????

What did she get fired for?

I stopped logging onto UF during the day as much as I initially did ... I was definately wasting to much company time on the net. But I still check my yahoo email a few times a day during a slow time.

FlamingGlory said:
Depends on who you employ.

SHUT UP AND GET BACK TO COLORING THAT PICTURE TO HANG UP IN ALBERTSONS FOR THE FUND RAISER! IF YOU DON'T DO YOU WORK THERE WILL BE NO COOKIE AND MILK BEFORE NAP TIME!

theacoustician said:

Very well put, sir.
Altho, if the boss wants to be a dick and monitor all emails & 'net useage, the employees need to be made very aware that it is happening.