I didn't die

Findakáno said:
Unforunately they only give your last ten posts since I am a guest. :mad:

If you could rename yourself what would it be?

Only the last ten? You didnt see it then, except maybe for my comment to Winddancer just before I headed back home to the Shire :lol:

Actually I can change my name, but it would cost me 10 points and I don't want to lose them yet. Dunno what I'd pick. I should have chosen a more hobbit-like name, except when I registered I hadn't made up my mind whether to join the Shire or Mordor (yes, I really did consider it seriously). Maybe my best bet would be to start going by a name that goes with the initials D.W. instead of officially changing it.

DW said:
Only the last ten? You didnt see it then, except maybe for my comment to Winddancer just before I headed back home to the Shire :lol:

Actually I can change my name, but it would cost me 10 points and I don't want to lose them yet. Dunno what I'd pick. I should have chosen a more hobbit-like name, except when I registered I hadn't made up my mind whether to join the Shire or Mordor (yes, I really did consider it seriously). Maybe my best bet would be to start going by a name that goes with the initials D.W. instead of officially changing it.
If I am ever mocked about my tattoo again, I will point to this post and demonstrate it as the pinacle of nerddom.

theacoustician said:
If I am ever mocked about my tattoo again, I will point to this post and demonstrate it as the pinnacle of nerddom.
While I am some what of a Star Trek & Star Wars fan it doesn't even come close to to my passion for all things Tolkien. I don't care whether it the books themselves (including the H.O.M.E. series), the mediocre movies by PJ/Bakshi's, art work by Howe or Lee, music like Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth. :drool:

theacoustician said:
If I am ever mocked about my tattoo again, I will point to this post and demonstrate it as the pinacle of nerddom.

Fine with me :cool:

:pics: of tattoo? I don't think I made fun of it when you posted pics before, even when I wasn't a Tolkien fan.

Findakáno said:
While I am some what of a Star Trek & Star Wars fan it doesn't even come close to to my passion for all things Tolkien. I don't care whether it the books themselves (including the H.O.M.E. series), the mediocre movies by PJ/Bakshi's, art work by Howe or Lee, music like Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth. :drool:

You might be the only person here who wouldn't go nuts listening to me these days :cool:

I rather like Star Trek and Star Wars too, but I don't consider them in the same league as LOTR. So far I've only read the LOTR books and The Hobbit. I have Silmarillion (sp?) but haven't read it yet. I've watched the three movies (and noted lots of inconsistencies with the books :mad: ), but I have the extended editions ordered and on the way, should get them tomorrow :D

My daughter and I have spent quite a bit of time discussing the books and the movies, picking the movies apart, but we like them anyway.

No one cared that I was gone, but either way... I was gone. woot

DW said:
Fine with me :cool:

:pics: of tattoo? I don't think I made fun of it when you posted pics before, even when I wasn't a Tolkien fan.

You might be the only person here who wouldn't go nuts listening to me these days :cool:

I rather like Star Trek and Star Wars too, but I don't consider them in the same league as LOTR. So far I've only read the LOTR books and The Hobbit. I have Silmarillion (sp?) but haven't read it yet. I've watched the three movies (and noted lots of inconsistencies with the books :mad: ), but I have the extended editions ordered and on the way, should get them tomorrow :D

My daughter and I have spent quite a bit of time discussing the books and the movies, picking the movies apart, but we like them anyway.

While I like both PJ's & Bakshi's movies, they have problems for me. I think that Bakshi's movie came closer to the the spirit of Tolkein's works such as the characters and story line. While PJ's are visually stunning, has more detail and consequently has more detail that is wrong.

Two things that bother me about PJ even before the first movie came out. The first being when he was asked whether or not Frodo succeeded in his task and PJ said yes. I have strongly disagree with him. At the Crack of Doom when the ring was at its strongest the Ring was able to overcome Frodo will. Becuase of this Frodo claimed the ring for himself. The secondly is that even as a boy he never liked "The Scouring of the Shire". :rolleyes: Out of all the chapters in LOTR I identify that one the most of all with Tolkien.

Last edited:
nice to see you still around ma'am.
I hope all is well and you and the kids and the cats are fine.......

I missed you.....you were the best internetwife a nerd could ever want. sweet, sexy, smart and one mean ass cook.

*sniff* I promised myself I would not cry.*sniff*

Findakáno said:
While I like both PJ's & Bakshi's movies, they have problems for me. I think that Bakshi's movie came closer to the the spirit of Tolkein's works such as the characters and story line. While PJ's are visually stunning, has more detail and consequently has more detail that is wrong.

Two things that bother me about PJ even before the first movie came out. The first being when he was asked whether or not Frodo succeeded in his task and PJ said yes. I have strongly disagree with him. At the Crack of Doom when the ring was at its strongest the Ring was able to overcome Frodo will. Becuase of this Frodo claimed the ring for himself. The secondly is that even as a boy he never liked "The Scouring of the Shire". :rolleyes: Out of all the chapters in LOTR I identify that one the most of all with Tolkien.

I like PJ's movies, haven't seen Bakshi's but I hope to somewhere along the line. I have some complaints about PJ's movies, for sure. I understand having to leave some things out that were in the books, otherwise they would be way too long for most people to sit through, but for heaven's sake DON'T CHANGE WHAT IS THERE!!! :mad:

That being said, I did enjoy the movies as I saw them, despite the inconsistencies. My extended edition of the trilogy arrived today, so I'm looking forward to watching them. With what time I have available that will probably cover a few weeks, off and on.

IMO Frodo's failure or success is kind of up for grabs. True, the Ring overcame him at the Crack of Doom, but he got it farther than anyone else had managed, and could anyone else have brought it that far, and carried it for such a long time, and not given in? Dunno for sure, but I'm inclined to think no one else would have done better. Gandalf had said that Gollum still had a part to play in the whole matter, which he did since he was the one who (inadvertently) destroyed the Ring.

I loved reading the Scouring of the Shire, and thought that it should have been included, even if briefly, because it shows how much the hobbits themselves had changed and matured over that time period, and without it we are left with several loose ends. In the movies we don't really know what happened to Saruman, or Grima. That entire business seems sort of...unfinished.

Onnotangu said:
nice to see you still around ma'am.
I hope all is well and you and the kids and the cats are fine.......

I missed you.....you were the best internetwife a nerd could ever want. sweet, sexy, smart and one mean ass cook.

*sniff* I promised myself I would not cry.*sniff*

We're all fine, thank you sir :)

Awwww, now don't you start crying :(

*hands Onnotangu a handerchief*

DW said:
I like PJ's movies, haven't seen Bakshi's but I hope to somewhere along the line. I have some complaints about PJ's movies, for sure. I understand having to leave some things out that were in the books, otherwise they would be way too long for most people to sit through, but for heaven's sake DON'T CHANGE WHAT IS THERE!!! :mad:

That being said, I did enjoy the movies as I saw them, despite the inconsistencies. My extended edition of the trilogy arrived today, so I'm looking forward to watching them. With what time I have available that will probably cover a few weeks, off and on.

IMO Frodo's failure or success is kind of up for grabs. True, the Ring overcame him at the Crack of Doom, but he got it farther than anyone else had managed, and could anyone else have brought it that far, and carried it for such a long time, and not given in? Dunno for sure, but I'm inclined to think no one else would have done better. Gandalf had said that Gollum still had a part to play in the whole matter, which he did since he was the one who (inadvertently) destroyed the Ring.

I loved reading the Scouring of the Shire, and thought that it should have been included, even if briefly, because it shows how much the hobbits themselves had changed and matured over that time period, and without it we are left with several loose ends. In the movies we don't really know what happened to Saruman, or Grima. That entire business seems sort of...unfinished.

It is finished in the ROTK EE :rolleyes:

The Biggest changes to PJ's movies that I would make would be the characters (their motivation and how they are portrayed). For example Arwen
FOTR - Warrior able to take on the 9 Nazgûl
TTT - angsty Teenager
ROTK - Bubbly Fiancée

Findakáno said:
It is finished in the ROTK EE :rolleyes:

The Biggest changes to PJ's movies that I would make would be the characters (their motivation and how they are portrayed). For example Arwen
FOTR - Warrior able to take on the 9 Nazgûl
TTT - angsty Teenager
ROTK - Bubbly Fiancée

Ah. I'm still on FOTR EE, I'll find out when I get to ROTK :cool:

Good point about Arwen, not one of my favorite characters. My daughter prefers Éowyn, and I have to agree with her on this one.

DW said:
No, tell me more about it. Sounds familiar though.

I read my first book(The Elfstones of Shannara) in 6-8th grade, that year. Probably about the time Findakáno read it. The book caught my eye at the school library. My mom made me return the book when she read the synopsis on the back but I never forgot it. HEY MOM, I OWN THE WHOLE SERIES NOW. NYAAAAH. I read this long before I read any Tolkien and am partial to it. If you like LOTR, you'll probably like reading these books.

edit> this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-4271648-4997452?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Last edited: