I can't believe someone finally did it right

KNYTE said:
Fine. Do whatever. As I stated before, I'm not defending it, I'm telling you how the machine works. Acting like an angsty teenage about it and rebelling against it won't change a thing.

theacoustician said:
Dude, this is the problem. Consumers and content providers aren't speaking the same language. I'm not trying to argue for them, I'm telling you how they think and how they see the situation. Since they are friends with the electronics manufacturers, or in cases like Sony are the content and electronics manufactures, they are both on the same page. Why do they put out "crap"? Because it makes money and is low risk. Why all the DRM? Because it helps them make money.

People need to start thinking like the machine in order to change it. iTunes showed online music sales could be viable. If everyone got behind something that was DRM free and helped it make a lot of money, the machine will change to fit the model. Vote will your wallet. Not buying something is equivilant to not voting. Stealing just proves their case and makes them feel righteous in what they're doing. Find a business model you like and put your money there. The machine will notice.

First we need more people buying on line. That survey that stated that music cost too much and most people didnt buy because the music was bad also stated that only 15% of them ever purchased a song online. The RIAA is not going to take that you are doing without so they are assuming that you are stealing it when in reality people still have issues with spending money on line, or at least downloading it as they are still on dialup.

The media companies are afraid of every form of digital media. If you are not buying you are downloading, if thats not proven then you are recording from the radio or tv. if they can't stop that then they are at least going to limit it. They are even afraid of enthusiasts and are taking steps to eliminate them as well. Its going to be straight up hell when it comes to media after this year.

I was considering itunes for a while, so I could download my songs one at a time, burn them to a cd, the rip to mp3, but I dunno if that would work, plus I couldnt find their catalog without installing the ghey softwares:rolleyes:

Plus, I'd like to see a study on the rampaging piracy of music (that was conducted by someone other than the music industry) to find out exactly how many jobs have been lost as result of this horrendous attack on the industries earnings. I don't see Virgin records on the front of CNN citing piracy as the reason to lay off 5,000 employees. The people at the helm of this DRM intiative are not starving by any means, nor do they need to be making $300MM per year for the amount of not-work they're doing.

IF SOMEONE FROM THE RIAA EVER READS THIS:

S-C-R-E-W Y-O-U

theacoustician said:
Fine. Do whatever. As I stated before, I'm not defending it, I'm telling you how the machine works. Acting like an angsty teenage about it and rebelling against it won't change a thing.

Oh man, you nailed me with that one. I said I pay for a Rhapsody account, and even that is getting tired. Nowhere here did I say that I've downloaded any music illegally, which in all honesty I have not done in over a year. Software on the other hand.... :shifty:

And seriously theac, everytime you get into a debate you personally attack, I'm beginning to think that's your only method of arguement. You're smart, probably even smarter than me, calling me names doesn't help your case, it just makes me want to piss you off that much more.

Last edited:
Ryokurin said:
If you are not buying you are downloading, if thats not proven then you are recording from the radio or tv. if they can't stop that then they are at least going to limit it.
Digital Transition Content Security Act of 2005. Read it. They aren't limiting it, they're eliminating it.

theacoustician said:
Hacking really isn't even going to be an option. .
Maybe I've watched too much XFiles and the LoneGunmen have influenced me, but I have a hard time believing that there is any protection technology which can't be breached. As long as computers and technology is created by man, it can still be hacked by geeks.

KNYTE said:
Plus, I'd like to see a study on the rampaging piracy of music (that was conducted by someone other than the music industry) to find out exactly how many jobs have been lost as result of this horrendous attack on the industries earnings. I don't see Virgin records on the front of CNN citing piracy as the reason to lay off 5,000 employees. The people at the helm of this DRM intiative are not starving by any means, nor do they need to be making $300MM per year for the amount of not-work they're doing.

IF SOMEONE FROM THE RIAA EVER READS THIS:

S-C-R-E-W Y-O-U
Your well worded and thoughtful analysis, backed with facts and examples I'm sure will sway them.

zengirl said:
Maybe I've watched too much XFiles and the LoneGunmen have influenced me, but I have a hard time believing that there is any protection technology which can't be breached. As long as computers and technology is created by man, it can still be hacked by geeks.
It'll still be possible, it will just be so difficult and expensive to bypass, that it won't be worth it. I mean it when I say that the only way to beat Trusted Path is with a soldering iron and a detailed understanding of electrical engineering. There isn't going to be a single modchip or software patch to get around it, because its built into every layer of the OSI model.

theacoustician said:
Digital Transition Content Security Act of 2005. Read it. They aren't limiting it, they're eliminating it.

Eventually people will have no need for corporate entertainment. Record companies, cable companies, no one will care. We'll see how they feel then. In the meantime, plug those holes. Piss off those customers. Annoy the shit out of the entire world in order to protect that substandard, generic content.

Sarcasmo said:
Eventually people will have no need for corporate entertainment. Record companies, cable companies, no one will care. We'll see how they feel then. In the meantime, plug those holes. Piss off those customers. Annoy the shit out of the entire world in order to protect that substandard, generic content.
For every one of you, there's 1000 brain dead suburbanites that'll look onto the next wave of electronics with lust and envy.

THINK LIKE THE MACHINE IN ORDER TO BEAT IT.

theacoustician said:

They made a few small changes I read recently. they will allow DVRs to exist but they have to be certified, cannot record an entire show (if its a 2hr movie the first 30 minutes will be deleted) cannot archive past a certain date and cannot record content that has been flagged. Im also sure you have heard that cablecard devices for the PC wont happen unless the entire system has been certified by cablelabs and how Microsoft has admitted the price of admission for their DRM is to limit the amount of people they will have to deal with and enthusiasts as well...

theacoustician said:
It'll still be possible, it will just be so difficult and expensive to bypass, that it won't be worth it. I mean it when I say that the only way to beat Trusted Path is with a soldering iron and a detailed understanding of electrical engineering. There isn't going to be a single modchip or software patch to get around it, because its built into every layer of the OSI model.
I'm sure you're right. I find myself having a philosophical moment of crisis at the moment. The lengths with which men will go to capitalize on art is really amazing. There just seems to be an underlying sense of control, conformity and Big Brother here, I'm always going to root for the hackers. :fly:

And all over money... actually over MORE money.

theacoustician said:
For every one of you, there's 1000 brain dead suburbanites that'll look onto the next wave of electronics with lust and envy.

THINK LIKE THE MACHINE IN ORDER TO BEAT IT.
Oh, so Ryan got *ahem* ahold *ahem* of a program which allows him to program the aibo... so now we've got a program to run on the aibo which makes him do the robot...

Ryokurin said:
They made a few small changes I read recently. they will allow DVRs to exist but they have to be certified, cannot record an entire show (if its a 2hr movie the first 30 minutes will be deleted) cannot archive past a certain date and cannot record content that has been flagged. Im also sure you have heard that cablecard devices for the PC wont happen unless the entire system has been certified by cablelabs and how Microsoft has admitted the price of admission for their DRM is to limit the amount of people they will have to deal with and enthusiasts as well...
Wow, I remember when VHS first came out, and we realized that if you had 2 VCRs you could make tapes of tapes... it was thought that the cost of the VCRs was sufficient to be prohibitive of this sort of theft, but my aunt and uncle made tapes of every movie they ever rented.

:lol:

So, I think this thing you've just described is way over the top. I've been allowed to record from my television onto my VCR for more than 20 years and now, all of a sudden, I can't? That's a super smelly load of bullshit right there.

Ryokurin said:
"the average user uploads 200m of info a month, and you did 3 gigs in 4 days, so you owe us an additional 10 dollars for the stress you caused on our network"

Paying more for a higher connection speed should be the solution, though. If I pay for a 1.5Mbps connection and use it to 100% capacity all month, then that's my perogative. Otherwise they shouldn't be advertising an "always on, 1.5MBps", because that's not what they're giving us. If you want more bandwidth, then pay extra and get higher speeds too.

zengirl said:
So, I think this thing you've just described is way over the top. I've been allowed to record from my television onto my VCR for more than 20 years and now, all of a sudden, I can't? That's a super smelly load of bullshit right there.
That's exactly right. I'm telling you, read it and understand it.