I am so sick of incompetence

Fat Burger

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Portland, OR
www.heartboxers.com
Marklar
₥0
So our file server goes down today. I noticed the problem, went into the server room, and saw the server rebooting. So I tell the network admin, and he goes of to (I thought) work on it. 10 minutes later I'm done letting other employees know, like the good helpdesk monkey I am, and I go to find him and get an update. I finally spot him having a pleasant chat with one of the project managers. I ask him if he was working on the file server, and he says "Oh, I thought you said it was rebooting" :tard:

The file server had an error and was waiting for someone to tell it whether or not to rebuild the system array. Good going, chief! It's not like the entire company uses that server constantly throughout the day or anything :tard:

but, if you told him it was rebooting, how could he have assumed there was an error?

PinkysAvenger said:
but, if you told him it was rebooting, how could he have assumed there was an error?

If somebody told me one of my servers was rebooting itself I would go take a look no matter what.

Desslock said:
If somebody told me one of my servers was rebooting itself I would go take a look no matter what.
well, yeah, but if you just get told "its rebooting" dont you think, yeah, i should check on it, but its taking care of itself so no hurry?

Fat Burger said:
Especially when it's basically the single most important server in the building.
true.dat.

common sense says that you should go look at it, but i think you should have told him about the error.

PinkysAvenger said:
well, yeah, but if you just get told "its rebooting" dont you think, yeah, i should check on it, but its taking care of itself so no hurry?

No way man. If the server is rebooting without me initiating it then something isn't right and I need to see what going on right away.

Fat Burger said:
The error wasn't there yet when I looked at the server. The server had just started to POST, the error came up just after I left.
Ahh...

I dunno. the admin guy is still a :tard: but you should have watched the server to see what the cause of the reboot was before going to tell him. That way you could have given him all the facts.