I am an Educator

This is why the DoE needs to be abolished and the education system put back into the hands of the state and why school choice is so fucking important. Schools that allow teachers like that to retain their jobs should crumble.

Very true, which is why I also blame school boards and administrators for buying new swimming pools and gyms for the sports teams, new laptops for all the teachers, new instruments for the band when the old ones work just fine instead of actually spending money properly. This is why education needs to be a competetive field.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pfRUMmTs0ZA

I agree with the second post quoted, but I don't see how you think abolishing the DoE is going to help. Why are states going to do a better job?

I agree with the second post quoted, but I don't see how you think abolishing the DoE is going to help. Why are states going to do a better job?

Because what works properly in Virginia may be a horrible failure in Oregon and vice versa. Different states have different cultures and environments that affect the way students respond to various forms of education. The DoE is not within the authority of the federal government, it never has been. The only constitutional justification found for it is the commerce clause.

States would do a better job because then the people are given more control over their education system.

This teacher was actually absent 1/2 of the entire school session (they had a sub the whole 1st half). She just had a baby. Personally, I think thats the problem. Drake doesn't sit there with his hands in his lap and his mouth shut for 8 hours a day .. she's cranky and worn out from being up taking care of a baby when she gets home. And she takes it out on the kids at school.

I may be wrong. But I know I was cranky sometimes .. and impatient .. after I had Drake until I got used to the lack of sleep. But I can't just pin that on her though.

what a shame.. heck yeah, like any other job, teachers' performance can be influenced by outside sources.. i see it every day.. music teacher's dad terminally ill.. he's a zombie most days.. the kids suffer because of it..

the days i come in after dj'ing the night before are not my best days.. it is what it is..

DEFINITELY go see the teacher for next year the first week or so of school..

sucks to see a teacher so un(non?)reflective that he/she doesn't realize she's singling out boys.. my worst year i ever had was when i had 17 of 25 students who were girls.. the cattiest, most tattletaling bunch i ever had.. "today we like her, tomor we don't.. next day they hate me".. over and over again.. :mad:

what grade is he in? Because our principal has likened teaching K and first grade here to trying to nail jello to a wall.. hahahaha.. little kids should not be expected to sit still all day.. retarded.

He's 10, and got held back in K5 .. he will be going into 5th I believe. I get confused because he got held back .. but I'm pretty sure he is going into 5th next year. He will turn 11 over the summer. I know that's pretty shitty to not know exactly .. but I've let my mom handle the school thing (since she is retired and at home all the time) for so long .. it just slips my mind sometimes. lol that and I always second guess myself when I'm not entirely sure. :lol:

He's 10, and got held back in K5 .. he will be going into 5th I believe. I get confused because he got held back .. but I'm pretty sure he is going into 5th next year. He will turn 11 over the summer. I know that's pretty shitty to not know exactly .. but I've let my mom handle the school thing (since she is retired and at home all the time) for so long .. it just slips my mind sometimes. lol that and I always second guess myself when I'm not entirely sure. :lol:

yeah, you should know.

what if you go talk to his teacher for NEXT year and be honest in that you are worried that someone's going to hand her a letter about your son and it's going to kill his chance for a fresh start before he even has it? almost like you would be challenging her to give him a fresh start. maybe you could explain his issues and that you are a stay-on-top mom who is concerned and involved with your child and you care and are willing to do a teamwork approach with the teacher. get to her before someone else does and maybe she'll have a different perspective come time to have drake in her class. i'd also go to the principal and seriously get involved there too. make yourself very obvious up there, very involved. don't let your mom do it anymore...you'll have more power if YOU are there. :)

I discussed this with my mom. She said she did that this year .. went and talked to the teacher about what went on last year. Personally, I think the teacher was seriously lacking int he patience department.

I'm going to be more active in it next year, but it's hard for me .. seeing how I'd have to take off work to go in. But I guess you do what you gotta do. He won't get this shitty end of the stick next year, I'll tell you that. I blew off most of what he said during the year because I thought he was exagerating .. but then it just kept on and on so I started paying more attention. Now I feel kinda bad.