Hunter S. Thompson dead

Drool-Boy said:
I read somewhere that hed recently had hip surgery and a broken leg and wasnt doing too well from it.
His illustrator was telling of how he had 2 hip replacements and could not walk without the aid of a walking stick, and according to him. That was not the way Dr. Gonzo wanted us to remember him.

Galen said:
His illustrator was telling of how he had 2 hip replacements and could not walk without the aid of a walking stick, and according to him. That was not the way Dr. Gonzo wanted us to remember him.
So remembering him as that guy who shot himself is better?

Via email:

This is from the Livejournal of the writer Poppy Z. Brite who met HST last month in N.O.:

"Hunter S. Thompson, of course
I'm saddened and chastened, but not surprised. I wish I was surprised, but when we met HST last month, something was obviously, physically very wrong. He wasn't drunk or otherwise intoxicated, but he couldn't stand up by himself. He had to lean on other people, or prop himself up on the clothes counters at Perlis. Though his mind seemed as sharp as ever (and I believe it was sharp, always, incredibly so, through all the bourbon and mescaline and adrenochrome and other things none of us has even heard of), he was completely dependent on others for his basic physical well-being. I can't imagine anyone used to fighting and scamming and shooting his way through life wanting to live like that. I didn't like to say anything at the time, but I tell you this now in hopes of letting at least a few people know that he most certainly did not take the easy way out.

I don't know what was wrong with him. I don't know if it had anything to do with the years of excess. If it did, I see nothing particularly wrong with that: we make our choices and set our priorities in life, and he got 67 years, spending at least part of most of them high, which was obviously one of his great joys."

Thompson's Ashes May Be Cannon Fodder
Friends Of 'Gonzo' Journalist Planning Wild Sendoff

ASPEN, Colo. -- Friends of "gonzo" journalist Hunter Thompson say he used to joke about having his ashes blasted from a cannon after he died.

He may just get his wish.

Actor Johnny Depp and others close to the late writer are on the lookout for a cannon. They're also studying proper firing techniques for such a final salute to the author, who often referred to himself as cannon fodder.

As Thompson's attorney says, "if it can be done, we will do it."

The 67-year-old gun lover shot and killed himself Sunday in the kitchen of his Colorado home. Friends say Thompson had been in considerable pain during the past year after breaking a leg and undergoing hip surgery.

He was cremated Tuesday, and a family spokesman says there are tentative plans for a private commemoration of his life on March 5.

A larger event to celebrate Thompson's literary career may be staged in April.

Drool-Boy said:
Thompson's Ashes May Be Cannon Fodder
Friends Of 'Gonzo' Journalist Planning Wild Sendoff

ASPEN, Colo. -- Friends of "gonzo" journalist Hunter Thompson say he used to joke about having his ashes blasted from a cannon after he died.

He may just get his wish.

Actor Johnny Depp and others close to the late writer are on the lookout for a cannon. They're also studying proper firing techniques for such a final salute to the author, who often referred to himself as cannon fodder.

As Thompson's attorney says, "if it can be done, we will do it."

The 67-year-old gun lover shot and killed himself Sunday in the kitchen of his Colorado home. Friends say Thompson had been in considerable pain during the past year after breaking a leg and undergoing hip surgery.

He was cremated Tuesday, and a family spokesman says there are tentative plans for a private commemoration of his life on March 5.

A larger event to celebrate Thompson's literary career may be staged on April.

2 things- 1. a guy that's as stoned or drugged up as he was shouldn't have been in any pain, and 2. it's interesting that April is being brought into this, seeing as how they're staging a larger event on her.

BigDov said:
For

Fuck's

Sake

FFS

Ok. Well I very seldomly read Cosmo thank you. If I do its atleast the imported version. I prefer to read Martha Stewart, Parents, other junk like that if I am reading a magazine.
Sorry I don't care about some druggy writer guy that killed himself. I feel sadder for the people who die of some illness or soemthing not killing themselves.

HifiGirly said:
Ok. Well I very seldomly read Cosmo thank you. If I do its atleast the imported version. I prefer to read Martha Stewart, Parents, other junk like that if I am reading a magazine.
Sorry I don't care about some druggy writer guy that killed himself. I feel sadder for the people who die of some illness or soemthing not killing themselves.
There are some very valid reasons to take ones own life.

HifiGirly said:
He killed himself because he was going to be dying from 'some illness' and didn't want the pain and suffering and dependency on others