Hummer more eco-friendly than Sex

I thought you could replace the batteries, but they cost like $7k, so you really aren't saving any money. And with studies like this, you really aren't helping the environment either.

We just need them to figure out hydrogen cells and we'll be all good.

The batteries don't. 100K is a lot actually. Honda's battery is like 60K, but is replaceable.

They are going by how long they are willing to warranty the battery as an expected car lifetime. Both are replaceable, and up to those respected points they are willing to replace for free, however there are several of both cars well over that range of miles and still going.

They said the same thing a few years ago when they came out, but they talked about the cost of the batteries, which was estimated back then to be $3,000 dollars. The batteries can be rebuilt and recycled, and its expected that by the time they do actually start to die you can get a refurbished one for around $600 or in other words the it will probably be around the average cost of getting a timing belt put on. I understand what they are trying to say, but it really is pushing it by just picking on the battery every single time.

A seven thousand dollar battery :lol: .. nice

yea, back in 2001. its under $3000 now. http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...dealers-but-not-repairmen-busy-quot.2470.html

I did some research on the subject out of boredom.

Honda's warranty for their hybrid batteries are 8 years, 80,000 miles. They have experienced a handfull of battery failures on manual insights but Honda covered the costs of the replacement as it was a design flaw.

Toyota's warranty for their hybrid batteries are 8 years, 100,000 miles. as of 2006 there hasn't been a single failure because of normal wear. They have tested to 180,000 miles and have not seen battery wear and expect it to be a lifetime part.

Batteries for both Honda and Toyota when their hybrids were originally released cost each around $7,000-$10,000 dollars back in 2000. Today they cost around $3,000 while being smaller, lighter and more efficient. At least for Toyota, between 2003 and 2004 the price of the battery dropped 36%

The real reason the TCO is high is because of the other parts of the car, not the motor battery. MFD, the 12V deep cycle battery for the electronics and the headlights are the expensive items to worry about.

I know WTF?! I don't think I've owned a car with less than 100,000 on it.

I've never even bought a car with less than 100k on it... been able to get another 50k out of even the fords before they completely shot shits... and now Chevy's come with a 100k mile warranty.

The only prius owner I know told me the batteries cost a helluva lot to replace, and early on there was speculation that they'd only last like 3 years, but the prius has been out longer than that now and people havnt had any major problems. He gets around 45mpg highway, 50mpg city.

Id rather have the hummer

Honda's warranty for their hybrid batteries are 8 years, 80,000 miles.
Toyota's warranty for their hybrid batteries are 8 years, 100,000 miles. as of 2006 there hasn't been a single failure because of normal wear. They have tested to 180,000 miles and have not seen battery wear and expect it to be a lifetime part.

If my car has to have a new engine at 180,000 I am going to be pissed. I'd be equally as pissed if my battery cost me that much to replace.

So, not only do you have an engine to worry about failing (that can cost you thousands) and a transmission that can fail (and cost you thousands), you also can have a battery fail and cost you thousands.

I think I'll stick with my car that only has 2 costly things to worry about instead of 3. lol

I've never even bought a car with less than 100k on it... been able to get another 50k out of even the fords before they completely shot shits... and now Chevy's come with a 100k mile warranty.

The only prius owner I know told me the batteries cost a helluva lot to replace, and early on there was speculation that they'd only last like 3 years, but the prius has been out longer than that now and people havnt had any major problems. He gets around 45mpg highway, 50mpg city.

Id rather have the hummer

My car will reaching 185,000 soon. I hope. Last week it wouldn't go in reverse for day or two.

Last edited:
If my car has to have a new engine at 180,000 I am going to be pissed. I'd be equally as pissed if my battery cost me that much to replace.

So, not only do you have an engine to worry about failing (that can cost you thousands) and a transmission that can fail (and cost you thousands), you also can have a battery fail and cost you thousands.

I think I'll stick with my car that only has 2 costly things to worry about instead of 3. lol

You missed what I was saying. its unlikely that it ever will need to be replaced and chances are if it ever does it will be the price of an average part. I'm not disputing that the prius is not a economy car, but the idea that you'll have to replace the battery at some point is way off base.

i'm tossing around the idea of getting a hybrid civic since the engine on my current shitbox VW is on the way out, but i haven't decided if its worth the extra cash for the hybrid or not.

advice or non-advice anyone?

i'm tossing around the idea of getting a hybrid civic since the engine on my current shitbox VW is on the way out, but i haven't decided if its worth the extra cash for the hybrid or not.

advice or non-advice anyone?

They are out there used. I ran into a few car shopping a few weeks ago, and they were around the same price of the average Civic of that year (15k, 2005) The only reason I didn't really consider them because one had 80k already and the other was 120k

A lot of it depends on how many miles you drive.

12k miles/yr, but that number is probably only going to go up with exciting things happening in life... gas prices are only going to keep going up too.

12000mi / 50mpg = 240 gallons * $2.75/gal = $660/yr

12000mi / 30mpg = 400 gallons * $2.75/gal = $1100/yr

so, at maybe more than ~$450/yr of gas savings plus the $2100 tax rebate... the hybrid upgrade should pay for itself over 4 or 5 years.

They are out there used. I ran into a few car shopping a few weeks ago, and they were around the same price of the average Civic of that year (15k, 2005) The only reason I didn't really consider them because one had 80k already and the other was 120k

cool, i'll keep an eye out for a used one

thanks!