How's that sound?

Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
I was listening to Live: Mental Jewelry (the only Live album I like) yesterday and I'm always amazed at how much I loove the sound of that album. It's so vibrant and full of energy. I think the producer made that album as awesome as it is. Most of the time I don't have much of an ear for that kinda thing, but maybe since it is so great is the reason I could tell

Anyways, what albums should I look at for some kickass production and a great sound?

The Verve - Slide Away [Shoegazer, just listen to the last track first :drool: ]
Yo-Yo Ma - Plays Ennio Morricone [Classical]
Opeth - Ghost Reveries [Death Metal/Prog Metal]
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut [Most depressing pink floyd evar! I love it]
Jeff Buckley - Grace [Just awesome]

If you want energy, go download the Opeth album.

FlamingGlory said:
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut [Most depressing pink floyd evar! I love it]

Yeah. It's almost not a Pink Floyd album. It sounds much more like Roger Water's solo stuff. It's also chock full of 1980's Cold War angst. I can still appreciate it, but I'm not so sure it's something I'd listen to on purpose anymore.

I still get songs from that record stuck in my head. In fact, I've got Fletcher Memorial home stuck in my head right now. Damn you, FlamingGlory. Damn you and your Hatian voodoo.

itburnswhenipee said:
Yeah. It's almost not a Pink Floyd album. It sounds much more like Roger Water's solo stuff. It's also chock full of 1980's Cold War angst. I can still appreciate it, but I'm not so sure it's something I'd listen to on purpose anymore.

I still get songs from that record stuck in my head. In fact, I've got Fletcher Memorial home stuck in my head right now. Damn you, FlamingGlory. Damn you and your Hatian voodoo.
It's definitely satisfyingly non melodic.

they flutter behind you
your possible pasts
some brighteyed and crazy
some frightened and lost

SpangeMonkee said:
It's about sound. not just the music. Production value.
Yes, that was the idea... Anything I said + headphones = great. Also guessing you dont like harder stuff or I have more ideas...

Shadows Fall - The Art Of Balance [Nice analouge sound, very natural feel, Death Metal]
The Music - The Music [Dancey-Space rock, very spacious, clean etc]
Massive Attack - Mezzanine [Trip hop, classic]
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral [Duh]
Sigur Rós - ( ) [Ambient, pretty much perfect]

But this means fuck all if you dont appreciate the music.

FlamingGlory said:
Yes, that was the idea... Anything I said + headphones = great. Also guessing you dont like harder stuff or I have more ideas...

Shadows Fall - The Art Of Balance [Nice analouge sound, very natural feel, Death Metal]
The Music - The Music [Dancey-Space rock, very spacious, clean etc]
Massive Attack - Mezzanine [Trip hop, classic]
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral [Duh]
Sigur Rós - ( ) [Ambient, pretty much perfect]

But this means fuck all if you dont appreciate the music.

I like hte harder stuff. I love me some Ministry, NIN, Big Black etc..

SpangeMonkee said:
I like hte harder stuff. I love me some Ministry, NIN, Big Black etc..
You should find the deluxe edition of The Downward Spiral. 2 discs, SACD/CD hybrid, remixed in 5.1, :drool: Of course it's like $30 new :rolleyes:

Opeth - Ghost Reveries is just awesome (this coming from someone who isnt a particular fan of them). They finally decided to rehearse before recording and actually mix their album.

FlamingGlory said:
Opeth - Ghost Reveries is just awesome (this coming from someone who isnt a particular fan of them). They finally decided to rehearse before recording and actually mix their album.

Do you hear the baying as well?

Love that album, probably the only album i've really listened to a lot this year.

FlamingGlory said:
You should find the deluxe edition of The Downward Spiral. 2 discs, SACD/CD hybrid, remixed in 5.1, :drool: Of course it's like $30 new :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've heard about the fancy SACD stuff. I'd have to buy some 5.1 and something that will play it.

that's a great cd spange and I too think the rest of live's shit blows

some of my faves for production are:
jimmy hendrix - electric ladyland
ween - chocolate & cheese
anything by bela fleck
anything by olivia tremor control

eileenbunny said:
everyone is gonna think i'm crazy for saying so I think, but U2's Live Under A Blood Red Sky album is one of my favorite live albums ever.

now why would everyone call you crazy? there's nothing wrong with u2!!

i take the cake with people calling someone crazy for their music tastes. I'M the one who likes country! :eek: