Thread how would you start a car company?

hydra

Rey’s father
Jan 8, 2014
I get around
Marklar
₥4,013
Cars are getting more expensive, it's close to impossible to get a new one for under $10k at this point. Someone should be making money on that market.

Take a chinese/taiwanese/soko sport bike engine of various sizes from 250cc to 1 liter (honestly just the two, or maybe add a mid-range 500cc, whatever),

mate that with a pipe frame of compact car,

gear it down so it doesn't immediately spin out and kill people (it will)

add simple suspension

paneling and make the interior safe enough to pass reasonable ratings and weatherproof it

youd basically be making a very efficient big go kart that was DOT legal. it would be cheap to make and hipsters would love its greenry. you could even mate it with a 9volt battery and call it a faggot hybrid if you wanted.

this was just a dumb idea that i thought might be fun to talk about. please advise criticize or flame or whatever.

carry on

tumblr_lfoyh5RyuM1qbpn58.gif

editL; oh yeah and call it the "the tigra"

I'm not sure you'd be able to engineer something that was safe, reliable, and useful while being able to sell it under 10 grand and still meet all those regulatory issues. You'll need to make it safe. Which makes it heavy. Which means it'll need more power. Which means you'll need more stuff to make it fuel efficient. And have it pass emissions regs. And noise limits. Which means you'll have more things installed which means you'll need to make it bigger in order to fit passengers and cargo. Which means a wider area that requires protection and it's heavier and yada yada yada.

It's unlikely you'd be able to do all that engineering and be able to break even at the numbers that a small car company can do. In order to sell enough that you'll make your money back you'd have to have an entire support network as well for the ten year warranty you'll have to offer.

I'm not sure you'd be able to engineer something that was safe, reliable, and useful while being able to sell it under 10 grand and still meet all those regulatory issues. You'll need to make it safe. Which makes it heavy. Which means it'll need more power. Which means you'll need more stuff to make it fuel efficient. And have it pass emissions regs. And noise limits. Which means you'll have more things installed which means you'll need to make it bigger in order to fit passengers and cargo. Which means a wider area that requires protection and it's heavier and yada yada yada.

It's unlikely you'd be able to do all that engineering and be able to break even at the numbers that a small car company can do. In order to sell enough that you'll make your money back you'd have to have an entire support network as well for the ten year warranty you'll have to offer.
You summed it up perfectly. I think the margins in car sales has been basically flat. It's just the increase of costs that causes the price to increse.

Good luck making a pipe frame car meet crash standards, or a motorcycle engine meet emissions standards.

Plus if you're taking the U.S. Market you'll never get enough people to buy some low budget no frills car. People want the bells and whistles. If I'm sitting in traffic for an hour I don't want to be in some steel box built around a lawn chair.