How would you manipulate society?

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
What strategies would you use to make changes or improvements in our society if money or power was no limit. I'm talking about large scale social manipulation.

For example to make your people more patriotic you can have the history books that we use to teach our children not go into depth how big of bastards our forefathers were to the indians and stealing their land. Or how we got our asses kicked for most of the war of 1812.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

The books our kids learn from pretty much say we were always the good guys and we always won fairly or barely lost due to treachery.

Another example to make it easier to track how much taxable income your citizens have you alter the laws so they have to put money in banks. You can do this by not printing as many large currency bills, laws stating citizens have to explain why they have more than 10,000 in cash on them, etc.

Last edited:
Another example would be the global climate crisis to help take public focus off of government and to encourage spending. In the 70s the people were very distrustful of the government due to Nixon and all of the sudden the media started talking about global cooling and even signs of an ice age in our future. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling People worry. Charitable organizations and research organizations have an influx of cash that they help spread around and the people feel safer because their buddy the government has their back.

Our currently global warming crisis was brought to main stream media attention right after the Berlin wall fell and the cold war ended. Yes we have altered our environment but also the earth has a natural climate cycle that explains the things we have seen in recent years. It's not like we're getting worse hurricanes or storms just that we have better media coverage of them and more of a population to be effected them.

Last edited:
I's change a few things, not sure how, and I can't think straight enough to go into as much depth as you but I'd probably like to be a dictator for about 10 years and then let the country dissolve into an anarchic society.

I'd pass laws in order to make people more aware of their actions on the earth, make it illegal to throw away recyclable materials etc. I'd buy loads of spare land and put wind farms on it, especially next to the people who moan about how 'unsightly' they are. Those people really piss me off, the world will be a lot more unsightly when you're drowning under 100m of water, idiot.

I'd ban certain types of cars (they can only use gas guzzlers on Top Gear from then on) and try and get everyone back into the medieval days of using horses and bikes to get around everywhere. Nobody can fly unless they apply to and the circumstances are urgent.

I'd cut down policing and encourage community policing like they have in a lot of South America.

Basically I'd run the society into the ground (as most people would see it) and once I'd instilled 10 years of dictatorship rule and made society responsible for their own ignorant ways I'd demolish the government and let the people rule themselves in their own little villages.

Yes, I'm a ludite.

I would probably work on racism but not everyone would like the way I would do it.

First you would have to change the way kids were taught the history of slavery. You'd have to down play the horror, cruelty, and make it seem more like the slaves were just denied rights. It would lessen the anger aspect some people have. You would need to push the whole it was due to poor education angle. Most parents don't read their kids history books. You could go into the full truth at a college level. You have to change the way people see each other gradually by such things as they already do at my son's school by saying brown person instead of black person. You'd need to push into main steam media well balanced interracial couples and interracial celebrities. Have some Cosby family like sitcoms with mixed families. Give adoptions preferences and bonuses to people willing to adopt outside of their race. Have media bury racism stories and show the community comes together stories. It would be a slow process and not a totally ethical process but with time it would make changes.

So you'd downplay the outright cruelty and disregard of rights that we as a white race subjected black slaves and american indians to? I think the better way would be to actually let everyone know EXACTLY how much we tortured and behaved cruelly to others, maybe it would instill some humility in white people in general. And if that increased anger within black communities then actually I think that's a good thing, they should be angry. If it was the other way round I'd reserve my right to be furious about the treatment of my people as if they were animals, or even lower than that.

Kids need to know where they've come from, and especially how cruel certain sects of the human race are. The quicker you learn these things the more humble and caring you become imo.

Anger would slow down the process. As it does now. I agree with you but to get the results you'd have to do things differently. I did say it wasn't an ethical plan but it would get results.

Anger is easy to install in people. Generosity and being humble is not

And until we realise the full extent of our past actions, as 90% of people don't, we'll never be humble. If you sweep things under the carpet and downplay it, you'll never gain full understanding and feel humbled by that. In order to be humble you need to appreciate the pain of others, you dont get that by ignoring the past.

I agree with you but if your going for large scale changes you have to do the most reasonable path. Not always the most ethical path.

If you want to get society to do something you want to do then you first put them into flock mode. Give them a boogie man or sufficient scare so they become part of the pack and want to be led to whatever "safe" place you want them to go to. An individual is intelligent and questions authority. A mob follows the leader.

Leading by fear seems to work over in the US but I don't believe that the British are as succeptable to those kind of tactics, therefore it's not something that I personally think works, nor do I believe in it. Even the stupid here don't seem to follow. Nobody likes our government or respects it in the slightest, all politicians are uselss and hated and that's how I like the country. It's usually them scared of us, seeing as we're always so uncontent that they're scared we'll vote them out at any opportunity.

Mandatory education and training systems.

A caste based workforce based on genetic profiling

a removal of economic systems

A two-thirds reduction in world population

I'd just buy out the MPAA and RIAA, then replace them with a group that fits my agenda. After a few years of running the MPAA/RIAA I'd campaign for a president who would make me FCC chairman. Fire anyone in the FCC who disagrees with me, and hire in people I can trust to carry out my will.

If I can control the media I can control people's minds. Controlling what can and can't be on the airwaves, and giving out favorable ratings to those tv shows, records, and movies that agree with and push my own agenda.

Final step would be to work my way to the presidency, work to get rid of term limits, and install myself as dictator for life, changing the FCC into my own personal propaganda machine, and have mass executions of those who disagree with me, with my own version of the cultural revolution.

I think about this too much.