Pics How was your Turkey Day?

Yep. Had lots of sage. & used Chx stock.

To me, Jimmy Dean sage breakfast sausage & onions, and of course maple syrup. I just couldn't get around cornbread and turkey going together.
Maybe the sausage is the issue here. I find too much caraway or anise flavor makes it too sweet.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Nope nope nope

The 12 days of Christmas originally had to do with the Christmas season relating to the religious calendar/cycle. Advent is the period of time BEFORE Christmas. 4 Sundays before to be exact. This past Sunday was the first week of Advent.

AFTER Christmas day, you have the 12 days leading up to the Epiphany (Three Kings Day, Dia De Los Tres Reyes Magos... etc) which in the church calendar is all Christmas season. You get to celebrate another holy day (Solemnity of Mary) in the middle of that. Once Epiphany hits, you're back into ordinary time. Every bit of that is the CHRISTMAS season. So it goes on beyond December 25th.

Dumbasses across the US started doing the 12 days prior because they didn't give a shit to the real history of it and like to fuck up real holiday traditions that actually mean something

:jvag:

if people celebrate the religious side of christmas then I can't argue with any of that. well I can but we neither of us wants to get into that argument first thing in the morning :fly:

people who are celebrating the secular holiday of shopping and gift giving and getting drunk on eggnog while singing songs from the 50s have no reason to keep it up past the 26th and I would put money on the vast majority of the country celebrating a secular christmas while having no idea that the reason for the season didn't even happen in winter time

we are doing a christmas tree this year. we haven't done one in a couple of years cuz we travel so much and since my exBF and I broke up
we are going away again but I miss doing the decorations with him so we are hoping to do them this sunday if I can get on a flight home.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
if people celebrate the religious side of christmas then I can't argue with any of that. well I can but we neither of us wants to get into that argument first thing in the morning :fly:

people who are celebrating the secular holiday of shopping and gift giving and getting drunk on eggnog while singing songs from the 50s have no reason to keep it up past the 26th and I would put money on the vast majority of the country celebrating a secular christmas while having no idea that the reason for the season didn't even happen in winter time
I would agree with the latter part of what you said (well that and I don't care to argue religion riht now lol). I think that goes for many religious turned secularish holidays.

I just liked being a twit about it earlier even though it is how we celebrate.

That and I like Christmas lights and wish we had an excuse to keep them up until February or so. Maybe just call them winter lights? Dunno.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
I would agree with the latter part of what you said (well that and I don't care to argue religion riht now lol). I think that goes for many religious turned secularish holidays.

I just liked being a twit about it earlier even though it is how we celebrate.

That and I like Christmas lights and wish we had an excuse to keep them up until February or so. Maybe just call them winter lights? Dunno.
Start at Halloween. Blood red lights. Turkey day - add some orange if you want. Christmas then change it to valentines. Boom. Red light special all winter.

• Gravy
Reactions: helenabear
Start at Halloween. Blood red lights. Turkey day - add some orange if you want. Christmas then change it to valentines. Boom. Red light special all winter.
I had a little Christmas tree like 2' tall that I would change with the seasons. It was fun. We do lights at Halloween though smaller and purple and orange. Could ditch the purple for Thanksgiving. Switch to white after and until Jan 6th. Then add in some red hearts and I could be done!

• Gravy
Reactions: Puff Dabby
I think that goes for many religious turned secularish holidays.

To be pedantic, Christmas is a secular (pagan) holiday turned religious, not the other way round. Saturnalia was hi-jacked by Christians with the invention of Jesus's birthday being 25th December. Because of it's pagan origins and lack of historical significance, Christmas was even banned by the Puritans. Most of the customs around Christmas ( presents, christmas trees, mistletoe, Santa Claus) were pagan rituals not Christian ones and pre-date the hi-jacking.

To be pedantic, Christmas is a secular (pagan) holiday turned religious, not the other way round. Saturnalia was hi-jacked by Christians with the invention of Jesus's birthday being 25th December. Because of it's pagan origins and lack of historical significance, Christmas was even banned by the Puritans. Most of the customs around Christmas ( presents, christmas trees, mistletoe, Santa Claus) were pagan rituals not Christian ones and pre-date the hi-jacking.
The timing of many major Christian holidays were moved to coincide with pagan rituals. In this case the holy day celebrating Jesus being born was used as an excuse to over take rituals celebrated. So I wouldn't technically say Christmas was pagan first.... the festfal called Saturnalia that concluded on the 25th was first. Christmas dumped itsslf right in that time.

I like learning about religion and the history of, so I never deny how many times holy days were moved to coincide with non Christian holidays.

Well Christ's supposed birthday was only invented in the 4th century and was deliberately placed as the last day of Saturnalia. It wasn't 'moved' it was invented. I just object when people try and say that the traditions run counter to the 'true meaning'. I coiuldn't care less what date some people choose to celebrate the supposed birth of someone whose existence has no real proof anyway. It's just a nonsense when people try and pretend it's been hijacked for secular purposes. I think 'reclaimed' would be a more accurate description. The bible even contradicts itself as to the year he was supposedly born.

Well Christ's supposed birthday was only invented in the 4th century and was deliberately placed as the last day of Saturnalia. It wasn't 'moved' it was invented. I just object when people try and say that the traditions run counter to the 'true meaning'. I coiuldn't care less what date some people choose to celebrate the supposed birth of someone whose existence has no real proof anyway. It's just a nonsense when people try and pretend it's been hijacked for secular purposes. I think 'reclaimed' would be a more accurate description. The bible even contradicts itself as to the year he was supposedly born.
Read above and you'll see I agreed with when it was placed. I don't agree with the idea of reclaiming. If it were a simple 'reclaim' they would call it the original name. But nope, they used Christmas so much like the Christians they hijacked a celebration to make it their own. No different really, nor do I really care. You can celebrate it as you see fit, I'll celebrate it as I see fit.

Just because I'm religious doesn't mean I have my head up my ass. In fact I'll be the first to agree that there were deliberate moving of holy days and inventing of certain things for a reason. I also am well aware that the birth is off by a considerable number of years. Contradicting though? I've read arguments to both sides and can't decide which is right. I don't give a shit really because I don't take the bible literally. But moving on now since I'm trying to keep a cheerful attitude and don't feel like debating stupid religious stuff that doesn't even matter at all.