How to shoot and care for a gun

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So the rednecks down here in WV were surprised I have never shot a gun before. Of course they forget that over 2/3 of the total population in the country hasn't either, but since they never leave their own county for anything and can't afford internet for news, they didn't know better.

They are going to take me out shooting some Sunday (talk about a religious experience).

What should I know about proper gun control and handling practices? I know not to ever have your finger on the trigger unless you plan on firing and I usually hand the gun back to someone buttend first. I need to figure out how to check for a round in the chamber when I get handed a gun, but that will come when I learn how that particular gun functions.

Anything else? I am sure I am going to get instructed by those rednecks, but I am pretty sure they will leave stuff out because they just take it for granted.

well, first of all you are dealing with Hillbillies...not rednecks.

one other good piece of advice that I'm sure Knyte will add in later is never point the gun at anything you don't fully intend to destroy.

Basically that translates into: always keep the barrel pointed down range. When you set the gun down, keep it pointed down range, pick it up? down range. loading it? down range. you get the idea.

So the rednecks down here in WV were surprised I have never shot a gun before. Of course they forget that over 2/3 of the total population in the country hasn't either, but since they never leave their own county for anything and can't afford internet for news, they didn't know better.

They are going to take me out shooting some Sunday (talk about a religious experience).

What should I know about proper gun control and handling practices? I know not to ever have your finger on the trigger unless you plan on firing and I usually hand the gun back to someone buttend first. I need to figure out how to check for a round in the chamber when I get handed a gun, but that will come when I learn how that particular gun functions.

Anything else? I am sure I am going to get instructed by those rednecks, but I am pretty sure they will leave stuff out because they just take it for granted.

It's no different than shooting your fudge musket.

some thread some awesome guy made said:
1. All guns are always loaded.

Even if you have personally just cleared the weapon and "know" that it is not loaded you should still always treat it as if it is.

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.

Pretty simple. Keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction at all times. Even if you "know" your gun is "unloaded" you should not wave it in front of your wife's face while yelling at her about how the spaghetti was too hot and you burned your tongue. Punch her in the mouth if need be, do not point your gun at her.

3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it.

If you're shooting at the hot spaghetti bowl and your wife is behind it there is a very real possibility that she will be hit by a stray bullet. Always check your background before firing your weapon, always.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on target.

Ready your weapon (keep your finger off the trigger), raise your weapon (keep your finger off the trigger), aim your weapon, NOW place your finger on the trigger and discharge the weapon on your ready.

5. Be sure your guns are never accessible to unauthorized or untrained individuals.

Lock your guns up, tight. Show them that your pimp-hand is strong. Know where your guns are and what condition they are in at all times. Do not loan your firearms to your drunken buddy who will for some reason hide them in a bush and come back 5 days later to find the gun missing. Just don't do stupid things like that.

Trigger safety and control are very important.

Stare at the front sight, not the rear sight, not the target, the FRONT sight. Put it on the target in the middle of the rear sight and then evenly pull the trigger until the guns off.

Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

Good beginner tip if you are shooting handguns is, don't worry about the recoil. If you start to worry about it you will find yourself over correcting and shooting low or below your target.

The recoil is normal and the bullet will leave the barrel and stay where you aimed it before the gun ever starts recoil. Just keep a good grip on the gun so that you don't drop it and you'll be fine.

Obviously this is less applicable for a .22 or a 9mm than for a .45

I think he had one of these in mind

pink2201a.jpg

derringer%20bond%20arms%20texas%20.45lc%20.410-01.jpg

All of the above and...

If you are shooting and the shells are flying at your neighbor, put up a guard. If you put up a guard net, put some distance between you and it otherwise your arm will look like mine.

Also, let them cool down before picking them up :fly: (buddy of mine first time shooting tried to collect after the shot)