Baby How To Rase Kids Part I

I learned math starting 1982 in K and did some of this, but not enough IMO. I wish we had honestly. I can easily say to my son "doubles" or combine to 10 or something and he can figure it out much faster.

To me this is more of how one things with algebra in a way and that's not a bad thing. I know a LOT of parents hate it though and I'm an odd duck who thinks it's great to do.
Play some Chopin, I'm developing a migraine...

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Marijuana plants are male and female.
The male plant can be used for work related items such as rope and the female is used to make you fat, lazy and stupid.

I was about to say something about pot.

You'll get a hermaphrodite now and then too.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
Back on topic:
The "New New Math".
What a bunch of bullshit.
"Show the number bond which connects this math sentence.
Change it to a 10 bond and show how you performed your work".
Old new math would have said "solve this equation, then write an equation substituting 10 for 9.
Show your work".
Fucking bullshit.
You're old, and accordingly you're set in your ways. That you would push a system that works for you on everyone else is what is bullshit.
"New math" is not new.
The way that everyone in the US up until the past two-three years learns math is not the most efficient for everyone, it's not the easiest for everyone. There are many many many more ways of learning math than the way you or I learned.

So, you shut the fuck up, try to learn something.

• Gravy
Reactions: helenabear
Oh...is that the hybrid I've been hearing about? I've been out of the loop for a while...

Hybrid would be sort of like a biracial kid. Hermaphrodites just get yelled at for going in the wrong bathroom all the time.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
You're old, and accordingly you're set in your ways. That you would push a system that works for you on everyone else is what is bullshit.
"New math" is not new.
The way that everyone in the US up until the past two-three years learns math is not the most efficient for everyone, it's not the easiest for everyone. There are many many many more ways of learning math than the way you or I learned.

So, you shut the fuck up, try to learn something.
Come at me, bro!

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and HipHugHer
I'm sure it's a great tool.
I learned math between 1970 and 1984.
Learning a new system of learning is hard.
I don't think in the manner which this curriculum wants me to.
That's the thing, you were forced into learning the system that you learned. You didn't have an option. Because you've spent the past 30-40 years using that system you think it's great, so of course you have issues using another system.

i dont understand this new math. What is it?

If i have to multiply two big numbers in my head, i break it down into components.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
ok, thats how ive always done math.

I dont think it learned that in school though... if anything i mighta figured it out on my own at some point.

although the thing i could see a kid having a hard time understanding would be why is it 40 and 50, not 40 and 40.

• Gravy
ok, thats how ive always done math.

I dont think it learned that in school though... if anything i mighta figured it out on my own at some point.

although the thing i could see a kid having a hard time understanding would be why is it 40 and 50, not 40 and 40.
The main thing about it is to learn be flexible. So if a kid wants to round down instead of round up, more power to them. It's supposed to be about them learning what makes sense for their headspace, and that is actually a great example. I went with 40 and 50, you went with 40^2. One made sense to me, the other was just wrong.

• Gravy
Play some Chopin, I'm developing a migraine...
Not a fan of Chopin. Send the offspring here for help with math. We did okay with ours and now he's a peer mentor in his math group to help those struggling, he'll help out where you can't :p

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes