How to piss off 8.13M people

I was of the understanding that they both use the same DRM. One just has a clause in the contract requiring a lowres copy free of the DRM.

HD-DVD was semi-cracked recently. Although both Blu-ray and HD-DVD use the same protection scheme, Blu-ray has an additional layer of protection that remains uncracked.

I am curious what the state of pirating games on the consoles will be like. Seems the main thing keeping it at bay right now is the online presence of the consoles. If you are willing to do without the online functionality, how hard is it to copy of Wii or 360 game? Anyone know?

Actually you can play copied games online right now for the 360. For now...

I was of the understanding that they both use the same DRM. One just has a clause in the contract requiring a lowres copy free of the DRM.

As for the other point. I see what you are saying, but long term the material costs should far outshine any other costs, no?

Doesn't change the fact that Sony priced themselves damned near out of the market.

I am curious what the state of pirating games on the consoles will be like. Seems the main thing keeping it at bay right now is the online presence of the consoles. If you are willing to do without the online functionality, how hard is it to copy of Wii or 360 game? Anyone know?
They both use AACS. This is what has been somewhat circumvented on HD-DVD. However, Blu-Ray layers another DRM over the top of that called BD+. No circumvention has been found for BD+ yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "backup format" fly/Arátoeldar, but there is only currently very limited circumvention of HD-DVD right now and none for Blu-Ray. There is no easy way to rip either format to your PC, either to make a copy or to keep as a high def file.

They both use AACS. This is what has been somewhat circumvented on HD-DVD. However, Blu-Ray layers another DRM over the top of that called BD+. No circumvention has been found for BD+ yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "backup format" fly/Arátoeldar, but there is only currently very limited circumvention of HD-DVD right now and none for Blu-Ray. There is no easy way to rip either format to your PC, either to make a copy or to keep as a high def file.

He wants to backup the pron and windows directory to a disc. Unlike me, he's not interested in any sort of pirating.

This seems about as unlikely as a rumor comes, but I figured I'd post it here.

Rumors of PS3 being developed without blu-ray

Dismal PS3 Launch Forces Sony To Discard BluRay

On the heels of various industry reports of the lackluster sales of Sony's new Playstation 3 console up to, during, and through the Christmas season, it's no wonder that Sony feels internal pressure to reverse it's course to more profitable waters. Obviously, the number one deficit of the new electronic entertainment device is the sheer number of newly introduced technologies, each with it's own seemingly continuous chain of production pitfalls. This same collection of newly deployed technologies directly impacts the pricing, further straining the retail sales of the Playstation 3. Considering that HDDVD technology is moving towards a broader market of consumers, Blu Ray is taking a considerable hit regardless of the Playstation branding.

One doesn't have to pay close attenion, or even take a second glance, to see that Sony, as a large corporation, has dropped the ball in it's own court. It has been reported time and time again that Sony has been facing financial difficulties, having to lay off workers, close plants, and refocus parts of their business. What only a few expected, Playstation 3 sales failed to match even the reduced supply during this holiday season. The affect of this has rippled through the major electronics retailers, creating a need to ship stock from store to store, and further impacting what profit margins retailers expected to see from the launch of a major new platform. The slick new Nintendo Wii and the powerhouse Microsoft XBox 360 managed to dominate the market, taking full advantage of the price differential, supply problems, and even the imagination of the consumer market. The season, in reality, isn't even over, and there is already a new captain at the helm, an almost unprecedented event indicating changes to come.

At a cost of over two hundred dollars per drive, the Blu Ray is the force behind the massive cost of the Sony Playstation 3. It is speculated that Sony is bleeding some three hundred bucks per unit, and continues the wild trend of manufacturers losing cash on the console in expectations to get their money back on the software. However, with a scant dozen titles or so, Sony holds little hope of a quick turn around in their fortunes. From it's core, the powerful Cell processor,with it's poor production yields, has added pitfalls to it's on rollout that is compounded by the difficulty in mass producing the Blu Ray in the Playstation 3. The tremendous cost of product, let alone support and delivery costs, may have been a factor in the recent executive level staff changes, but that change (of executives) has pushed the importance of other changes up the ladder of importance.

Sony is rumored to be making drastic changes to recapture the market before losing even more of it's command share to the likes of Nintendo (the success story of the holiday season) or the XBox 360 (still suffering in the land of the rising sun, but gaining momentum everywhere else). In a move that is "aimed at family pricing," Sony is rumored to be working on a Playstation 3 that does not include the Blu Ray drive. Whether this will result in the current low-end model having a change, or a newer "entry level" Playstation 3, remains to be seen. However, this is in stark contrast to their previous, egocentric, statements regarding "what kind of consumer"* will be looking at the Playstation 3.

To further fuel the fire, Toshiba has been reported to be getting ready to announce at CES (The Consumer Electronics Show) a new HDDVD player in the sub-two hundred dollar range. If these reports hold to be true, Sony's Blu Ray hopes may be dashed in even more markets than just that of the video-game arena. The steep pricing of Blu Ray players already make the Playstation 3 the entry level model, and Toshiba may have just put the nail in the coffin of this format. This holiday season was Sony's chance to leap ahead of the HDDVD format, establishing Blu Ray in the consumer market.

Supply problems alone would have likely created problems with Sony's hopes about Blu Ray, but with lackluster sales it is nearly a forgone conclusion. This puts Sony in a terrible position of not only trying to turn their ship around, but if they aren't careful--it could very well sink. A Playstation 3 without Blu Ray technology may save the Playstation from the fate previously seen by Sega's Saturn, but it will be the death nail in the Blu Ray coffin.

Heres another good 360 rumor:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156193

Duke Nukem Headed to Xbox 360?
Then again, it was also supposed to be on GameCube.
By Patrick Klepek, 01/04/2007
The world continues to light a candle for Duke Nukem Forever, the first-person-shooter that's been in development for more then a decade and it's been almost as long since we've seen a screen shot of it running on anything other than the original Unreal engine. Still, Duke4.net points out that 3D Realms is fishing for a new environment artist and programmer to join their team, likely to work on DNF.

What's curious about these postings, however, is in the job details: it lists both PC and Xbox 360. Back in the day, Take-Two Interactive revealed the smart-mouthed shooter would appear on GameCube (whoever made that decision must have been smoking some awful harsh stuff), but an appearance on Xbox 360 seems likely, considering Microsoft's development tools have close ties to PC development.

Will we hear about DNF in 2007? Hopefully, but there's no guarantees from the studio that's not released anything internally for years (they've collaborated on both Prey and Max Payne's development, helping keep them alive), yet continues to keep on kicking.

:lol:

I was in Target last night and they had 2 20gb PS3s and 1 60gb PS3 in the display cabinet and plenty of games available.

I went over to Best Buy and they had a large hand-written note taped to the PS3 playable kiosk saying "We have PS3s available in stock now!" I asked the salesguy how many of each type and he said "plenty."

Of course, neither place had any Wii's, nor did the Gamestop by my house when I called them last night. I brought my Wii in to work to let my boss see it and now he has to have one. So I thought I would score some brownie points (brown nose points) and see if they had any in stock on my way home from work. Nope.

He wants to backup the pron and windows directory to a disc. Unlike me, he's not interested in any sort of pirating.

Oh, you mean using either as a backup for data and not media? Its defintately possible, but not really cost effective right now. Hell, its much cheaper to buy a spare drive and a USB enclosure than it is to buy a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive. This is even assuming you can find the media right now.

I was in Target last night and they had 2 20gb PS3s and 1 60gb PS3 in the display cabinet and plenty of games available.

I went over to Best Buy and they had a large hand-written note taped to the PS3 playable kiosk saying "We have PS3s available in stock now!" I asked the salesguy how many of each type and he said "plenty."

Of course, neither place had any Wii's, nor did the Gamestop by my house when I called them last night. I brought my Wii in to work to let my boss see it and now he has to have one. So I thought I would score some brownie points (brown nose points) and see if they had any in stock on my way home from work. Nope.
The Fry's in Alpharetta had 25 PS3s last time I went there just sitting in the middle of the aisle. Kids walking by were far more interested in the GH2 demo they had set up.

The non BR PS3 is not going to happen. Sony has already advised companies to take advantage of the size that BR has. What are they going to do? now say, "you know, we goofed Stick with DVD-9" Not going to happen.

Oh and Microsoft has already said that 360 games will remain DVD. They realize that introducing requirements to consoles is a sure way to confuse people. Microsoft has said however that they will attempt to upgrade the 360's value during its lifetime like increasing the size of the drive included or adding HD as the default drive. Their concern is to break even, not profit off the machines.

The non BR PS3 is not going to happen. Sony has already advised companies to take advantage of the size that BR has. What are they going to do? now say, "you know, we goofed Stick with DVD-9" Not going to happen.

Oh and Microsoft has already said that 360 games will remain DVD. They realize that introducing requirements to consoles is a sure way to confuse people. Microsoft has said however that they will attempt to upgrade the 360's value during its lifetime like increasing the size of the drive included or adding HD as the default drive. Their concern is to break even, not profit off the machines.

That and the fact that all current games are on BD-ROMs means that this mythical new PS3 wouldn't be able to play a single game they currently have on the market.

As for MS, I'm fairly certain they'll integrate the HD-DVD drive eventually. The games may stay on DVD, but I'm almost certain it'll be part of the Zephyr upgrade.

I don't understand why anyone would want a company to go complete belly up. Especially when there is nobody that would replace them in the industry at the moment.

Regardless, I would be surprised to see a new PS in the next couple of years. A new Wii, I would be surprised not to see. And with the leaked pictures, a new 360 is also fairly likely.

And for backing up data, it does seem that bluray is the better format, but only if they get the multi layer rom's out there.

I don't understand why anyone would want a company to go complete belly up. Especially when there is nobody that would replace them in the industry at the moment.

Regardless, I would be surprised to see a new PS in the next couple of years. A new Wii, I would be surprised not to see. And with the leaked pictures, a new 360 is also fairly likely.

And for backing up data, it does seem that bluray is the better format, but only if they get the multi layer rom's out there.

I think Sony just gives people a bad taste by pushing their own standards and formats. And its systemic in that company. They are the Microsoft of the electronics world.