Marklar
₥0
Meet Zephyr (aka X360 rev2)
3459e674ee77e7.jpg

65nm processor (read: cooler)
120GB HDD
HDMI port
HD-DVD integration (rumored)

The other rumored part is that this will take over the price point of the premium X360, the current premium X360 will drop to the basic price point, and the base unit is going to disappear. If you're thinking of buying one, I'd at least wait till CES is over. I'm quite sure they'll at least be showing it off there.

Luckily I bought mine from Costco and can return it at any time. =)

edit: But I can only imagine they have closed the DVD firmware loophole on this...

edit: But I can only imagine they have closed the DVD firmware loophole on this...
Why? I'm not too into the X360 mod scene, but from what I understand, the biggest advantage is being able to play pirated games. Yeah, there's some homebrew apps, but it seems like the 360's media center capabilities are already respectable, so that's really not as big a deal. Are you really just that hell bent on stealing games or is there a some secret modding mojo here I've missed?

What I'm really curious about is in some 360's that have been taken apart recently, there's an HDMI port already soldered to the board. It hides behind the plastic casing under the AV port. Will there be a way to activate this port? If so, that's HOT. It would really negate most of the reason to buy this box. Combining that with the ability to upgrade the HDD and get the HD-DVD drive would allow all current owners to be on the same playing field as the late adopters if they so chose without having to buy a whole new console. If that is the case, then the only thing I'll say is "Take notes Iwata".

Why? I'm not too into the X360 mod scene, but from what I understand, the biggest advantage is being able to play pirated games. Yeah, there's some homebrew apps, but it seems like the 360's media center capabilities are already respectable, so that's really not as big a deal. Are you really just that hell bent on stealing games or is there a some secret modding mojo here I've missed?

As far as I know, there are ZERO homebrew apps available for the 360. The only thing you can do is play "backed up" games. And that is exactly what I intend to do. However, there was some con a few weeks ago where apparently someone started up Donkey Kong and was then able to boot it into a screen with the Apple logo, 360 logo, and Tux with the words Coming Soon. Something about possibly hacking into shaders or some crazy shit I read.

What I'm really curious about is in some 360's that have been taken apart recently, there's an HDMI port already soldered to the board. It hides behind the plastic casing under the AV port. Will there be a way to activate this port? If so, that's HOT. It would really negate most of the reason to buy this box. Combining that with the ability to upgrade the HDD and get the HD-DVD drive would allow all current owners to be on the same playing field as the late adopters if they so chose without having to buy a whole new console. If that is the case, then the only thing I'll say is "Take notes Iwata".

Why would there be a way to activate it if you can't even get to it? I agree that it is odd if there really is one there. I'll be taking my apart shortly. It has a manufacture date of 9/22/06, so I'll see if I have one.

Why would there be a way to activate it if you can't even get to it? I agree that it is odd if there really is one there. I'll be taking my apart shortly. It has a manufacture date of 9/22/06, so I'll see if I have one.
More than likely Zephyr (2nd gen) and Xenon (1st gen) are using the same motherboard which is why it has been spotted on some recently dissected models. It saves MS a boatload of money not to have to run separate production lines. If the guts are essentially the same and its merely a jumper/trace/software mod to make a Xenon into a Zephyr at the factory, then you should be able to do it at home as well. Sure it'll require you to open your box, mod it, and dremel the back plastic casing to expose the port, but it could be a huge boon for people who already have a 360 and would like the HDMI without having to buy a whole new box.

For the record, here's a 360 motherboard with an HDMI port. This one (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=529543) was posted back in July. During the launch of the HD-DVD drive, several MS people made statements like "Xbox 360 could also output over HDMI if there were only a cable available." (source : http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/hdmi-on-a-xbox-360-coming-soon-198495.php).

Even if there is an upgrade path to get everyone running with HDDVD, it would still be a horrible thing if games start requiring it. Hopefully they don't do this. Or, if they do, hopefully it flops. :(

Even if there is an upgrade path to get everyone running with HDDVD, it would still be a horrible thing if games start requiring it. Hopefully they don't do this. Or, if they do, hopefully it flops. :(
I think it would be quite a while before games require it and even when they do, hopefully they will release a multi-DVD version and the HD-DVD version a la the PC gaming model. I'm thinking with the thoroughput required, you'd basically have to install the core of the game and a swap file to the HDD regardless of the model you own as you do with the PS3. Either way, it'll allow people to cobble together upgrades incrementally as necessary/desired rather than having to trash the system completely for the latest and greatest revision.

I think it would be quite a while before games require it and even when they do, hopefully they will release a multi-DVD version and the HD-DVD version a la the PC gaming model. I'm thinking with the thoroughput required, you'd basically have to install the core of the game and a swap file to the HDD regardless of the model you own as you do with the PS3. Either way, it'll allow people to cobble together upgrades incrementally as necessary/desired rather than having to trash the system completely for the latest and greatest revision.

If I were to pick a single model that I do not want to see consoles follow, it would be the PC model.

And not sure what you meant about the throughput.

If I were to pick a single model that I do not want to see consoles follow, it would be the PC model.

And not sure what you meant about the throughput.

With the PS3 and BluRay does M$ really have a choice? They have to add this stuff on now or lose marketshare I reckon.

I'm not sure what this all means.

The new 360 is waaaay better for the same price, if true.

With the PS3 and BluRay does M$ really have a choice? They have to add this stuff on now or lose marketshare I reckon.

The new 360 is waaaay better for the same price, if true.

I think it's too early in the BluRay/HDDVD war to have to consoles committing themselves to them at least if they push the games onto the specific formats.