How to get hosed out of 1000 bucks.

GreatTiger

Flaccid Member
Sep 23, 2006
Marklar
₥0
Step one: Don't call your usual computer geek. Call the Geek Squad and have them come over instead.

Step two: Let them tell you that a stick of ram has gone bad. The reason it went bad, they'll tell you, is becuase it was close to another component that was also warm and together they cuase the stick of ram to overheat and go bad. There is even a burn mark there- see? (actually just some dust)

Step three: Let them establish that it was a contributing factor but the problem is still there. But they have the ultimate solution! A format and reinstall of windows!

Step four: GS: Wait, you can't find you windows xp pro disc? oh that's ok, we have an oem copy of xp home in the squad car. It's only 200 bucks.

Step five: GS: Oh look at the time. My shift is over and I must head home. Yeah, the install isn't finished but you can just leave it and it'll be fine.

Next Day:

Step Six: GS: Good morning! How did the installation go? You mean you didn't check on it? It's ok, i'll just have to start over. I'll be here all day though.
Later in the day: I'm afraid you'll need some more software like antivirus and antispyware software-You have your own you say? Well the ones we have to offer are really alot better. Those combined with our monthly performance maintanence package with keep you computer in tip top health! You don't want any of those? Well... ok... but I wont' be able to garuantee any of my work.
Later: GS: There's a problem that can't fix. When your computer is shutting down, it will show the messge "It is now safe to shut off your computer." and you have to press the power button and your computer will turn off. There's nothing I can do to fix that.

Step Seven: Well I'm all done! Good thing too cuase my shift is almost over. Here's the bill. Call us anytime you have a problem!

So yeah just to explain it all in short. Ex and I had separated. Her mom usually has me do her computer repairs. I even built her computer for christ sake. She didn't call me at the time cuase we had just separated and she didn't know if it was still ok or what. So she calls the 'WEAK Squad" instead. Her complaint was just that her computer had become painfully slow. So slow that it would take her five minutes to boot.
After learning that my ex and i are still friends and see eachother all the time, she calls me and asks me to look at it cuase the problem is still there. it came back after the geek squad left. Go figure.
So first things first. She had a gig of ram before. two sticks of 512. They took out one stick leaving her with 512. She wants me to pick up some more ram. So i pick up a 1GB stick and head on over there. She kept the old stick of ram. Good. Let's put that in solo and run Memtest. Not a damn problem. She seems a little peeved. Well hold on, let me try it in the other slots incase a slot had gone bad instead. Nope. nothing wrong with the other two slots.
Ok, let's try all the ram including the new stick for a total of 2gigs of ram. Still not a single ram problem. Oh that burn mark? No, that's just some dust. *wipes it away with finger* See? (she gets more p.o'd) He said what on how it went bad? Wow. well, as you can see, he's already on the pipe.
So i look into her slow down problem. It is indeed still there. The whole system will freeze for 30 seconds. Turned out to be SCVHOST.EXE would take 100% of cpu power for the thirty seconds. All i had to do was turn off automatic updates and the problem was gone.
About three hours and i had cleaned out the dust inside her computer (wow it was BAD), tested and reinstalled all the ram, fixed her original problem, fixed the "It is now safe to shut off your computer."(had that fixed in five minutes. Enabled APM in power management) ran AdAware, Spysweeper, Hijackthis!, Housecall (all properly in safe mode) Everything was ok. Updated the motherboard and graphics card drivers. The tard used the ones that came with cd which is fine to get you going. But when their from 2002 it's important to update them you idiot. Done. Thankyou for using Tigersystems. Does your computer purr?
60 cash made.

in other news: i fucked my back up in construction and have been out of work all week. :(

Last edited:
Ouch. My boss called the Geek Squad to help him with his home network. Useless fucks had no idea what they were doing and advised him to format and reinstall windows. No kidding. I still laugh when I think about that. In my line of work that's called malpractice.

It's stories like me that further fuel my idea to start a services business, liek the Geek Squad, only we would know what we are doing.
The problem with that is that you have to hire people who know what they are doing, which means they get paid more. So now you have to charge your customers more than the other guy, so they probably won't want to pay it.

ouch :( it's not fun to see people get ripped off on computer stuff.

it used to be that the only three people in the world you had to make sure you could trust was your doctor, your lawyer and your mechanic. now you have to make sure you can trust your local computer geek too

you really shouldn't mix diffrent speeds of ram. that will casuse problems later on.

:thrawn: I built her computer. I used the exact same speed and brand on all sticks of ram. Including the new 1GB stick.

just so I know, please explain this not mixing different speeds of ram thing...

:thrawn: I built her computer. I used the exact same speed and brand on all sticks of ram. Including the new 1GB stick.

just so I know, please explain this not mixing different speeds of ram thing...

all the memory will clock down to the lowest speed in the set. not only are you losing the advantage of that faster memory but it could potentially cause issues since the faster one is specifically designed to run at a certain speed :o

all the memory will clock down to the lowest speed in the set. not only are you losing the advantage of that faster memory but it could potentially cause issues since the faster one is specifically designed to run at a certain speed :o

I know that but i've never had that happen. When i had my old rig i used ddr333 and 400 and never had a single issue even though yes, the 400 defaulted to 333 speeds.

I've always hated best buy but this just clinches it. I hope she complained and got a refund.

On what grounds could she get a refund realistically? She could have told them their services were no longer necessary at any time. I'm not saying that Geek Squad are genius' by any means, but she allowed them to stick around and screw things up.

I know that but i've never had that happen. When i had my old rig i used ddr333 and 400 and never had a single issue even though yes, the 400 defaulted to 333 speeds.

I have..worse case scenarino was that it fried the board so that any power supply even attached to the Mobo would short out upon contact...took me 2 weeks and 3 power supplies to realize what was going on. You don't even want to know what it will do to a laptop.

"When ugrading ram always buy in batches and from the same manufacturer and replace with the new not add too."

On what grounds could she get a refund realistically? She could have told them their services were no longer necessary at any time. I'm not saying that Geek Squad are genius' by any means, but she allowed them to stick around and screw things up.

the fact is that they fucked up. bad.

If i took my car to a mechanic because it was acting sluggish and he ended up telling me my pistons were shot and needed new breaks because they were better than the ones i had, even though everything was ok, and in the end not fixing the problem charging me $1000, I would be pissed and not pay them a dime.

I've heard stories like that from my customers, except the computer people they had usually are local computer shops. I've picked up a lot of customers that way, cuz most of the computer shops locally have people working on computers who shouldn't be or the shops have too much business to care about getting the computer fixed within two weeks.

But what they did for her didn't fix the problem. If you take your car in for transmission trouble and they replace the alternator...your car still has transmission trouble. Would you pay them for the new alternator that you didn't need? I wouldn't.

The consumer has the right to expect that the services rendered are going to have some positive effect towards solving their problem.

Edit: Crap, I wrote this before I saw HydroSqueegee's response. Great minds think alike right? ;)

Last edited:
But what they did for her didn't fix the problem. If you take your car in for transmission trouble and they replace the alternator...your car still has transmission trouble. Would you pay them for a new radiator that you didn't need? I wouldn't.

The consumer has the right to expect that the services rendered are going to have some positive effect.

Edit: Crap, I wrote this before I saw HydroSqueegee's response. Great minds think alike right? ;)

It's all wayyy to late for that anyways. This was around last April of last year. She just won't be using the Weak Squad ever again. Neither will anyone else she knows apparently.

It's all wayyy to late for that anyways. This was around last April of last year. She just won't be using the Weak Squad ever again. Neither will anyone else she knows apparently.

I used to cringe when I would hear of people bringing in their PC to Best Buy for repairs or upgrades. Those jerks would charge 100+ dollars just to snap in a piece of RAM and it would be the crappy Kingston discount RAM too.

That's a 5 minute job that I have talked my mother into doing by herself while I told her what to do on the phone. The fact is, they capitalize on the fact that people just don't know any better.

The problem with that is that you have to hire people who know what they are doing, which means they get paid more. So now you have to charge your customers more than the other guy, so they probably won't want to pay it.

Or just lower your profit margin. Or train the fuck out of the techs. Or both.

Who knows, I'm just starting to look into it now.