GAY How to be fit -OR- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Salad

No.

To really succeed, IMHO, you need protein. Getting your body to switch to fat burning for energy vs using carbs will allow you to perform at a more consistent level over a longer period of time without fatigue/cramping.

I used to do cross country in hs, and did some competitive running as an adult in my mid 20's. I noticed a marked improvement in my performance once my body switched to fat burning over using carbs.

For someone like you who consumes a ridiculous amount of candy this is likely not possible though. You need to really cut carbs to force the metabolic change.

I'm not running to lose weight.

I dunno, the apps with a barcode scanner are much easier to track your shit with. And literally I think you could track your shits in them too.

I haven't found one that gives you a comprehensive analysis of nutrients you are getting and suggestions for what to include in your diet to make it more balanced like this one does. Can you recommend one?

Depending on how far you intend to run, everyone I've ever known says it's dangerous to do it without carbs. This includes professionals on the triathlon circuit.

Any distance athlete will have such a low fat ratio that there won't be anything to burn if they don't get their muscles loaded with glycogen through carbs. There's a reason marathon runners carbo-load, it delays the point where your body has to transition to burning fat. Of course you can sprint on cotton candy and wafers.

Depending on how far you intend to run, everyone I've ever known says it's dangerous to do it without carbs. This includes professionals on the triathlon circuit.
Never done a triathlon. I've never eliminated carbs, I just make it a point to not consume large quantities.
Any distance athlete will have such a low fat ratio that there won't be anything to burn if they don't get their muscles loaded with glycogen through carbs. There's a reason marathon runners carbo-load, it delays the point where your body has to transition to burning fat. Of course you can sprint on cotton candy and wafers.
True, but I've always had some meat on me and wasn't competing in marathons.

I just learned something.

Never done a triathlon. I've never eliminated carbs, I just make it a point to not consume large quantities.

True, but I've always had some meat on me and wasn't competing in marathons.

I just learned something.

Interestingly, carbo-loading is only effective a few times a year as the body realises it's being tricked. The idea is to deny your body carbs completely for a few days then bingeon them the night before the race (hence pasta parties). Your body over-reacts and stores more glycogen than it would ordinarily in case it's the only chance it gets. This moves the point in the race where you start burning fat back nearer the finish line. As I said, however, use the technique too often and your body stops being tricked. It's also possible to get it wrong and have legs like lead on the day.

I haven't found one that gives you a comprehensive analysis of nutrients you are getting and suggestions for what to include in your diet to make it more balanced like this one does. Can you recommend one?

Its been a couple of years since I used one. Assuming you've tried all the big ones, I guess not. All I remember was that the barcode scanner was AWESOME

I am on day 3 of my healthy(ish) seasonal diet. I have tons of positive energy and am so productive. My house is sparkling clean, my dog is getting tons of great training and I'm reading instead of sitting around on here. :nev:

Also my clothes are baggy as fawk.

Last edited: