GAY How to be fit -OR- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Salad

A few things:

1. Stop drinking. - Go fuck yourself. Seriously, go fuck yourself.
2. Cut out all carbs. - No. Your body chemistry (and brain activity) functions best with a balance of protein/fat/carbs. Every single day. Yes, you need fat in your diet too. Trust how nature devised the intricate systems in your body. Your endocrine system, your organs, everything. It had millions of years to figure it out, and the combinations that didn't work aren't around anymore. Don't reinvent the wheel based on same vain perception of a mirror image.
3. Keep moving. Seriously. Move, all the time. Cardio cardio cardio.

I am pretty sure he said he has a gluten allergy. He physically cannot have most carbs.
Sorta screws up your body chemistry argument

I am pretty sure he said he has a gluten allergy. He physically cannot have most carbs.

In my specific case, yes, but I wasn't factoring that into my argument.

I go for a very lean/muscle look with enough cardio to give me some level of endurance and agility, which is what I personally consider "fit". If eating carbs and drinking works into whatever your fitness goals are, knock yourself out, I'm always open to hearing other solutions.

Again, what I posted just happens to work for me and gives me the results I want.

BF says when he was training he had tons of carbs and protein

/ex-personal trainer

k, so I guess I'm unclear what your goal here is. Are you trying to prove me wrong, and that the diet and exercise routine I choose to follow WON'T get you in shape? Or.....what?

Last edited:
Reasons to hate Ghost:
-No alcohol
-Turkey Bacon
-Is a prick

- I never said I don't drink alcohol, I love my whiskey, but if you're serious about losing weight it should be one of the first things you ditch for a while. I firmly believe that.

- Turkey bacon is fine

- Entirely subjective

Obviously inspired by Jimmy's pic thread (which I totally won, btw) I decided to create a thread about how my regular diet and exercise and hopefully open a dialogue of other fitsters about their routines. This thread will also be about making the necessary life changes to become healthy.

To start off I need to emphasize that getting fit is a change of your lifestyle. It's not dieting SOMETIMES, or exercising SOMETIMES, it's re-thinking everything you do. What you eat, what you drink, WHEN you eat and drink, where you go, who you hang out with, all of these things will likely change as part of the process. This isn't like making it a habit to pick up your socks or kicking a heroin habit, this is serios bisnis.

DIET

Your diet is the most important part of being thin/fit. You can exercise religiously but if your diet is shit you will always be fighting an uphill battle on roller skates with a stick and maybe the other guys have cannons or something. You cannot succeed without taking your diet seriously. That isn't to say that you have to give up good food entirely, but you have to moderate it with extreme prejudice. Unless you are like April or Juli, who seem to have the metabolism of a Tasmanian Devil who also happens to be a crack addict, you cannot just eat whatever you want.

To lose weight in a healthy manner your diet should largely consist of vegetables and lean proteins. Fish and chicken are my best friends. I eat one or the other for basically every meal. Red meat is fine is small doses, but it's substantially fattier and is harder for your body to break down, approach with caution. Carbs (lol, cliche) should be eaten in extreme moderation, and if you can cut them out entirely that's even better. And here's the big one: Stop drinking. I don't mean switch to shots or light beer, I mean stop drinking. If you're serious about cutting pounds it's only in your best interest to abstain from alcohol. Alcoholic drinks are just hollow pointless calories. They do nothing but bog you down and slow your progress. If you aren't willing to give up alcohol to get into shape then you probably aren't ever going to get there. It's all about sacrifice.

As far as your meal schedule goes there are various approaches. There is a lot of logic to the concept of multiple ~300 calorie meals throughout the day to keep "stoking the fire" of your metabolism but some people can't manage that do to work or other constraints. At the end of the day if your intake is lower than your output you will lose weight, how you take in those calories is going to be up to your discretion and schedule.

My standard diet is as follows, this is in simple list format to give an idea of the foods that I eat, I do not necessarily eat everything on the list at each sitting.

Breakfast

- Eggs
- Turkey Bacon
- Greek Yogurt
- Mixed vegetables
- Occasional fruits
- Tea (sugar and creamer sparingly)

Snacks

- Almonds
- Can of tuna
- Lunch meat slices
- Peanut Butter

Lunch

- Salmon filet (cooked or raw)
- Tuna steak (seared in olive oil)
- Lean chicken breast (cooked in a variety of ways. I'm no cook, so most of them include applying heat and some kind of spice or sauce)
- Salad (mixed greens with vinaigrette or light use of other dressing. I've found buying the "light" stuff is only a marginal difference because I use so little of it anyway)
- Water (occasionally I'll go nuts and have Crystal Light or tea)

Snack (same as above

Dinner

- Larger portion of chicken or fish with a cooked vegetable. The steam in microwave bags are about the best thing ever invented.
- Occasional beef, as lean as I can get it and grilled or seared

EXERCISE

My exercise regimen is fairly aggressive. I work out basically all day in some form or another between P90x, weights, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc.

Morning

- P90X/P90X2

This is a great program and out of all of the video/home cardio workouts I like this one the best. I tend to focus on the Plyometrics (jump training) and Cardio-X work outs but also mix in core and yoga (which is amazing for healing up sore muscles). The exercises are difficult and fast paced and you can get a very serious work out in a half hour. The work outs themselves go for up to an hour so I may preference is to skip certain sections one day and do them the next to mix things up and save time. I just recently "got" P90X2 and the "Plyocide" work out is insane. If you want to get into this I highly suggest starting with the P90X Cardio-X work out and the slowly moving into the others as you progress and get stronger. Be VERY careful when you try these and take it easy until you acclimate because you easily could injure yourself by jumping in and pushing yourself too hard.

Evening

- Weights

I have the luxury of having a fairly well-equipped (HA HA)...gym at my office so when I'm working there I take hourly breaks and go do an individual exercise. It helps to break up the day and helps keep me going. If I have time in the afternoon I will actually change into gym clothes and run a complete high-output exercise before I go home. Your weight training work out should be structured around your own goals and if you have no idea what you're doing (and be honest with yourself if you don't) it may not be a bad idea to get a personal trainer. If you have some familiarity with being in a gym but need structure or a list of exercises I highly recommend an app called "JEFit Pro", which is available on the Google Market (no idea if it's available for Iphone, nor do I care). JEFit will give you a basic full body exercise program with guides on how to properly do each exercise and also tracks your stats and progress. It's a great app and will keep you focused so you don't "gym float", which circles into next point: you are at the gym to work. Do not go to the gym to dick around, take it seriously, otherwise you're just wasting time. Leaving your phone/gaypod in the bag. If you "need" music to work out get a cheap mp3 player that only plays music. You should not be watching TV/movies while "exercising", you're just distracting yourself from the actual work. Go to the gym to work. Don't bullshit with people, don't read books, don't text, don't sit on the equipment munching on your hard earned PowerBar for the 15 minutes you put in on the ab machine, just. fucking. work. Get your work out done, take it seriously, then go home.

For home gym I highly recommend a Bowflex. They're compact, safe, easy to use, and versatile. The caveat: Don't buy a new one, they're grossly overpriced out of the box. You can get a used Bowflex on Craiglist for less than $200. I just got one a few months ago in trade for a junker laptop that I installed a hacked version of Windows XP on. They are a great way to have a home gym that will fit anywhere and will have the ability to work out your entire body.

I'm tired of typing, I'll add more later, or I won't, dunno. My plan is to add a section for body weight and ultra-cheap exercise options, I'll try to do that today.

Feel free to flame or praise me now.

:lol:

In my specific case, yes, but I wasn't factoring that into my argument.

I go for a very lean/muscle look with enough cardio to give me some level of endurance and agility, which is what I personally consider "fit". If eating carbs and drinking works into whatever your fitness goals are, knock yourself out, I'm always open to hearing other solutions.

Again, what I posted just happens to work for me and gives me the results I want.
I understand, but considering how many carbs come from plants and shit, saying a low-carb diet will kill you is a bit silly.

I wish I could post a routine like that, but I don't stick to shit! This will change once the weather gets out of this arctic freeze next week! :D

I could post what my "diet" (hate that word!) kinda looks like, (typically):

Morning:

1 hard boiled egg
1/2 multi grain bagel w/peanut butter
1/4 of sliced apple
Milk
Cappuccino

Lunch may be:

Salad greens with various vegetation & chicken
I get full off of that...

Snack may be:
-More than likely candy or chocolate. (hey, I'm not gonna liieee)
And/or celery (or apple slices), with a bit of peanut butter
-Handful of some sort of nuts maybe

Dinner for me typically never includes pasta because it gives me the crazies, kills my intestines, & acts like a tranquilizer. So, even tho I'd make this for the household, I don't eat it. I very, very rarely eat red meat. In fact, in winter when I don't grill out, I don't eat any at all.

Dinners are usually pretty light for me. So, I just grab something like steamed brown rice with some carrots or something very lowfat. I do this because I stay up so late & I tend to snack then, too. So, if I load myself up on a hearty dinner, then the snacking will be low, too. If I keep dinner really light, then I don't feel too guilty about snacking on candy or chocolate later at night. Moderation.

Oh and most of what I make is organic & fresh. I don't do canned anything, besides jarred past sauces. I keep high fructose corn syrup and shit like that out of the house.

That is all!

Last edited:

Gluten is a protein, not a carb. And there are a sh*tload of carbs that have nothing to do with gluten. Sorta screws up your face. POW

none of the things on that list are green.

And in the original statement, nothing was said of green, just in hers, which I quoted, asking what has high carbs because greens do not. You follow?