How silly would it be...

S

smileynev

...at my new house I had planned on building into an inside wall an A/V shelf with all of my doodads (DVD, Receiver, Xbox) etc. The backside would open up into a walk in closet in the office so I could access all the cabling. From it I was going to run conduit to where the TV would be in the family room, no more then ten feet away, and run the video wires through that.

Now, my problem is they put a nice big duct right where I was going to do this. I don't have more then 8 inches on either side of it to work with. If I just plan on putting all of the A/V stuff in the closet I would have to walk into the other room to put a DVD or game in. Is that stupid?

hard drive mod your xbox and use a carousel dvd player? or have you already got an expensive dvd player?

theacoustician said:
So you're going to be able to see said massive duct when you look at the gear. That's horrible.
Well, I would paint it pink...

No. The wall would be sheetrocked and you wouldn't see anything. The gear would be in some sort of shelving unit.

bungle said:
hard drive mod your xbox and use a carousel dvd player? or have you already got an expensive dvd player?
I am not much of a modder, and the carousel idea would be great if I had, say, 5 DVDs or whatever. Plus I have a Gamecube.

Pancake Wagon said:
Well, I would paint it pink...

No. The wall would be sheetrocked and you wouldn't see anything. The gear would be in some sort of shelving unit.
So what happened to being able to get in behind it to cable it up?

ChikkenNoodul said:
You don't need that duct, just cut it out
Yeah, its just the cold air return duct. Ya know, come to think of it, I wonder if I could move it back a wall when I finish that off.....

theacoustician said:
So what happened to being able to get in behind it to cable it up?
Thats my other problem. If I keep it in a closet I guess it doesn't matter what it looks like so much.

theacoustician said:
I need a diagram. I don't think I understand how this is all laid out. AutoCAD2005, plz.
I could MSPaint one for you, but I doubt it would clarify much. I think I'm gonna go with Chikken's idea. Once I frame in the walls behind where the duct is now, I should be able to move it back and over a little.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Probably, I found out two of mine were plugged up for probably two years and we never noticed any problems
These air returns also service the return air from the bathrooms, so they carry away the moisture and stink. I don't really want them venting into the family room

Pancake Wagon said:
These air returns also service the return air from the bathrooms, so they carry away the moisture and stink. I don't really want them venting into the family room
I doubt anyone would notice over the normal moisture and stink you put off.

So uh...are you going to be able to control it all with the remote if it's in the other room? :confused: