How many modems and/or networking equipment do you own?

theacoustician said:
They're like $20. What's wrong with you? Hell, I'll give you my wireless B router once I get my wireless G router running.
G>B tho... giving me the G then?

April23 said:
G>B tho... giving me the G then?
Since most people don't have a broadband connection over 1.5 Mb/s, you wouldn't notice the difference. The only time you would be able to really tell is transfers between other computers on your network.

theacoustician said:
Since most people don't have a broadband connection over 1.5 Mb/s, you wouldn't notice the difference. The only time you would be able to really tell is transfers between other computers on your network.
Speaking of transfers between computers.... I am unable to get my laptop to connect to my desktop or server wirelessly. If I plug it into the network, it'll do whatever over the copper though. Am I missing a setting or something? I've tried all sorts of rediculous stuff. The laptop is XPSP1, the desktop is Win2k/Debian Sarge and the server is Slackware 10. All the appropriate SAMBA and NFS shares turned on and everything, as well as the Windows shares. Ideas?

SpangeMonkee said:
agreed. I stream divx over b and it works just fine.

Thats about all you can do video wise however. I tried doing some mpeg-2 once and it was a struggle to get it to go unless they were up close to each other as soon as you get under that 6m barrier which is quite easy to do most streaming goes to crap.

BTW, does anyone know when wimax is going to be released?

CletusJones said:
Speaking of transfers between computers.... I am unable to get my laptop to connect to my desktop or server wirelessly. If I plug it into the network, it'll do whatever over the copper though. Am I missing a setting or something? I've tried all sorts of rediculous stuff. The laptop is XPSP1, the desktop is Win2k/Debian Sarge and the server is Slackware 10. All the appropriate SAMBA and NFS shares turned on and everything, as well as the Windows shares. Ideas?
Well, I can tell you that SP2 is a whole lot more WiFi friendly. Try that first. Otherwise, check to make sure you have the right WAP key and make sure if you're MAC filtering, that you have the address in there correctly.

Ryokurin said:
Thats about all you can do video wise however. I tried doing some mpeg-2 once and it was a struggle to get it to go unless they were up close to each other as soon as you get under that 6m barrier which is quite easy to do most streaming goes to crap.

Not anytime soon according to the infrastructure people here. However, some of the pre-N products out there can stream MPEG2 files. They cannot handle TS files though :(

Ryokurin said:

hmm.. I'm not sure if I've streamed any mpgs, I'll have to give it a go and see how it works.

theacoustician said:
They're like $20. What's wrong with you? Hell, I'll give you my wireless B router once I get my wireless G router running.

LOL WIRELESS B!! WELCOME TO 1999!!!!!

SpangeMonkee said:
1 - 6 port wireless router
1 - 6 port 10/100 router
1 - 5 port switching 10/100 hub
1 - 3 port 10/100 hub
1 - internal DSL modem
1 - external cable modem
1 - external 56k modem
along with a bagellion 10/100 network cards and internal modems

where do you get a 6 port wireless router?