How many modems and/or networking equipment do you own?

layers upon layers of NAT should not only keep you safe, but it'll help insulate your computer should your line get hit by lightning.

I have a speedstream DSL modem, two winmodems, three lan cards, a linksys 4-port, a linksys 4-port wireless, and an old (really old) 12port 10baseT hub. It's bigger than both the linksys together. Rack mountable too. Any buyers?

Jonny_B said:
layers upon layers of NAT should not only keep you safe, but it'll help insulate your computer should your line get hit by lightning.

I have a speedstream DSL modem, two winmodems, three lan cards, a linksys 4-port, a linksys 4-port wireless, and an old (really old) 12port 10baseT hub. It's bigger than both the linksys together. Rack mountable too. Any buyers?
My work just threw away this cool purple Sun rack. I was gonna steal it, but they said only Sun equipment would fit in it. :(

1 very old motorola surfboard that cannot substain the 6m of bandwidth of the comcast package I got.
1 SMC wireless router I got at microcenter for 10 dollars. it adds lag when multiple people are wired into it, wireless not even enabled.
1 Additron switch that is unneeded
1 SMC switch in use in my house
1 Smoothwall router not in use
1 network everywhere router
1 linksys vpn router
at least 3 spare nics or nics acquired from old pcs, or givaways.
1 4 port hub.

edit forgot a few
1 alatel speedtouch home
1 new motorola surfboard

fly said:
My work just threw away this cool purple Sun rack. I was gonna steal it, but they said only Sun equipment would fit in it. :(
:( too bad. I'm sure you could have ghetto engineered something to work. Wood is quite malleable for such purposes, although not as thermally conductive as duct tape.

ChikkenNoodul said:
:lol:

I've got a Motorola SB5100
A Cisco 2500
A busted Netgear broadband router
A Linksys wireless broadband router
And more modems than you can shake a stick at
PIF cisco 2500. It'll go great with my 2600. :)

I've got a whole box full of networking gear.
At least 5 dialup modems, not all of them 56k
an intel smart switch
a Cisco 2600
a linksys wireless cable gateway (in use now)
Cisco Pix 501 firewall
at least ten 10-port USRobotics officeconnect switches (rackmount style, all 10mbit and all taken from the trash pile at work)
5000' spool of Cat 6 (donated by my friend who's in construction)

fly said:

I tried to so similar to an old Sun Sparc box I got from the Turner Trashbin when I first started working here. I tried my best to get an micro atx board and processor to fit in the thing. Failed miserably.

one i guess. i really want to buy a wireless router but i spent the money on shoes.

ieholly said:
one i guess. i really want to buy a wireless router but i spent the money on shoes.
They're like $20. What's wrong with you? Hell, I'll give you my wireless B router once I get my wireless G router running.

theacoustician said:
They're like $20. What's wrong with you? Hell, I'll give you my wireless B router once I get my wireless G router running.

well i would have to buy wireless cards for all my computers too! that adds up.