How hard is it...

S

smileynev

...to skin a cow, tan the leather, and make a couch? The wife wants a leather couch for the living room, and I want to hold off on buying one for a while given all of our expenses at the moment. Can anyone recommend a less expensive but durable fabric that we should look for in a couch if we do go shopping? Any retailers you can recommend to go with or stear clear of?

Pleather? I don't know. My parents have this REALLY nice gray, sectional sofa that has some soft material on it. It's even nicer and more comfortable then my leather sectional. When I talk to them next I'll try to figure out what it's made of and where they bought it.

microfiber is nice, thats what mine is. No idea what the shit is made of, but its kinda like swade (sp?) in look & feel.
Altho it may not be the best if you have a bunch of wild chidrens running about spilling milk and mucous all over the place.

theacoustician said:
You want leather and you have a baby. That somehow doesn't seem like a good mix.
Leather is pretty durable compared to some of the other stuff out there. As long as we don't let her play with scissors. We had a nice couch that we bought just a few years ago, but it was covered in a soft cotton denim like fabric. And is slowly fell apart shortly after we got it just from the normal wear and tear that two people would place on it.

Drool-Boy said:
microfiber is nice, thats what mine is. No idea what the shit is made of, but its kinda like swade (sp?) in look & feel.
Altho it may not be the best if you have a bunch of wild chidrens running about spilling milk and mucous all over the place.
Only one wild child will be spewing mucous and spilling beer on it.

smileynev said:
Leather is pretty durable compared to some of the other stuff out there. As long as we don't let her play with scissors. We had a nice couch that we bought just a few years ago, but it was covered in a soft cotton denim like fabric. And is slowly fell apart shortly after we got it just from the normal wear and tear that two hippos would place on it.
fixt

I personally hate leather. My husbands parents just offered us a leather loveseat that is like 4 months old (they moved and don't have room for it) but I didn't want it.

BigDov said:
I wouldn't have anything BUT leather with the kids around. So much easier to clean it's almost a no-brainer.
I guess it depends what kind of leather. My parents leather couch is awesome, but its slightly sueded and a pain to keep clean. If it was slick cowhide leather, I suppose that would hold up well.

theacoustician said:
I guess it depends what kind of leather. My parents leather couch is awesome, but its slightly sueded and a pain to keep clean. If it was slick cowhide leather, I suppose that would hold up well.

maybe he can get one thats tough rawhide like dog chew toys are made of

drawing with a mouse sux now:p

coucheater7ro.jpg

leather is nice, but I prefer a nice soft material. Go to the brick and sit on everything that is a couch and take home the most comfortable