Halp How fast is too fast to pay off a mortgage?

A house might or might not appreciate, but it certainly costs in upkeep and taxes.

Ultimately, unless you can liquidate in a hurry, it's not really in the realm of "investment" grade, IMO.
Housing here has appreciated dramatically over the last 20 years.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to other houses obesity buy other than the one they live in. Investment properties. Every man and his dog has investment properties here. They've been making a killing because of all the Chinese that have been buying up properties left right and center, leaving a supply shortage.

A house might or might not appreciate, but it certainly costs in upkeep and taxes.

Ultimately, unless you can liquidate in a hurry, it's not really in the realm of "investment" grade, IMO.
Interesting, this article suggests that the ROI is actually better than the S&P.
http://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...l-long-term-investment-real-estate-sector.asp

edit: Although this lists the real rate of return and factors in having to pay rent. The stats end in 2005, but the rate was 6.9%, which is below the S&P.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/history-says-home-real-estate-is-a-bad-investment/
A study covering the period 1952-2005 found that when costs and imputed rental income were included, the real return to homeowners was 6.9 percent, comparable to the 7.3 percent real return for the S&P 500.

Then your mother in law wasn't properly vested. If she was that close to retirement, there was no way she should have had a large position in the stock market.

What should people have invested in that wouldn't have lost them at least 50% in 2008? You realize that a lot of people's retirement plan is tied up in their property as well as the stock market and company pensions/401ks? ALL of these things tanked in 2008, not just the stock market.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
What should people have invested in that wouldn't have lost them at least 50% in 2008? You realize that a lot of people's retirement plan is tied up in their property as well as the stock market and company pensions/401ks? ALL of these things tanked in 2008, not just the stock market.
Generally, the closer you are to retirement, the more your money should be in safe and secure investments like bonds.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
My parents lost a bunch in 08 but then decided to buy a house for 60k here in Phoenix. That house is now worth about 100k more now so it helped buffer some of the loss. I'm guessing they've made back a bunch they lost as well. I haven't asked I just know my dad is counting down till his bday in dec when he can officially retire for full ss benefits.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and nukes
My parents lost a bunch in 08 but then decided to buy a house for 60k here in Phoenix. That house is now worth about 100k more now so it helped buffer some of the loss. I'm guessing they've made back a bunch they lost as well. I haven't asked I just know my dad is counting down till his bday in dec when he can officially retire for full ss benefits.
I'm sure the consolation wears thin when it's over 110°F outside for 80% of the fucking year.

EnrWs9g.png

@kiwi

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and nukes
Why buy the second home? Cause it was only 60k. They tried renting it out but that was a nightmare and then I got divorced so I lived there and now my sister does. So they are still kinda renting it out she just gets a really good deal.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I love living here in the summer cause I know that no matter how cold buildings are due to ac I will be warm to my core in only a matter of seconds of going outside.

The common occurrence of getting neck burns from dangly earrings is kinda a pain though.

Are the earrings little dream catchers?