How do you define masculinity?

were you talking to baloneyflaps? :lol:

Now that I read it, actually it could be your choice of two people.

But then again I am not talking to you anymore. I am in your hometown again, UNTIL I DIE apparently :(

Fucking job, but I digress while listening to the new Dragonforce album which seamlessly transitions from country to ludicrous speed levels to 1970's Rush as I try and figure out what the knuckle-dragger testers have done to my perfect test plan and test schedule by not listening to the crystal-clear "Use this folder, not that folder" with visual cues but then again I am working with slackjawed hillbillies literally coming down from the mountain to come to work in their pickup trucks complete with fully stocked gun racks and fishing rod holders to save up enough money not to pay for their children's education or to put new tarpaulin on the side of their home on wheels but to get the new Xbox 360 game because they saw some scantily-clad woman hocking it on a TV commercial they are perpetually glued to when they are not making my life hell at work then next week they can upgrade their 3 month old 56" LCD with a 58" LCD because that is more important than upgrading from Ramen noodles for every meal and babies don't need more than water and/or Coke to grow up big and strong instead of retarded and with a disproportionately large head and weak (if any) teeth, right?

Yeah it's a Monday and yeah I am back at WV for work :(

i just read this today, and it seems to be appropriate to this thread:

"Many straight men, it seems, view anal penetration as a pure power-and-domination trip for the top, and receptive anal sex as a nightmare to be endured."

from Dan Savage's latest column here: http://www.avclub.com/content/node/84482

Depends on what kind of definition you are looking for. In other words define 'definition'.

Masculine is an adjective, so you want the definition of a word that differentiates another word as distinct from something else (adjectives dont meet the rigor of a description).

So technically that would be a stipulative definition. Meaning that it has the meaning the speaker wants for the purpose of their discourse.

The context of your post puts the definition as something you are not.

So you answered your own question and your post fails the rigor test for philosophical questions.

Oh and being the bottom has been considered less than female since the beginning of written history.

Depends on what kind of definition you are looking for. In other words define 'definition'.

Masculine is an adjective, so you want the definition of a word that differentiates another word as distinct from something else (adjectives dont meet the rigor of a description).

So technically that would be a stipulative definition. Meaning that it has the meaning the speaker wants for the purpose of their discourse.

The context of your post puts the definition as something you are not.

So you answered your own question and your post fails the rigor test for philosophical questions.

{incoming rant}

It's pretty much impossible to logically and rigorously demonstrate that masculinity should mean anything, have any effects, be valued by anyone, or be worth posting about on the internet. I think the closest thing you can say about this subject that is anywhere near rigorously true is this: A lot of guys think being gay isn't manly. They also think of being on the catching end of anal stimulation isn't manly. There's not really any reason why we can't all change our minds, although realistically it will take a few generations, if it ever happens.

The biological roots of why guys are like they are, when you look at them, aren't anywhere near as glorious as the old codgers try to make it sound as they sit on their porch yelling at people and complaining that we've all lost our way and don't know what it's like to be a man anymore. And everything that isn't biological is just cultural, a passing in the wind.

One day, I hope the general American public can have a discourse on this that makes more sense. At the moment it seems like you can't hear anyone in the middle, only those on the far sides -- like they either believe we should go back to not letting women have jobs, or we should abandon all forms of culture as meaningless and worthless. I don't think we have to be so nihilistic that we have to reject human suffering and joy as meaningless; given that, I think we could start to try and examine culture for what the different parts of it do, and thus to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'm going to disagree with virtually everyone I've read on the subject and say that gender roles are based at least 95% in pure arbitrary culture, but also say that doesn't make them inherently bad. I think the fact that they can still be observed in existence is almost proof of their worth by itself.

It's an opinion, even though I'm pretty sure my point was that to get a proper answer you have to ask a proper question.

In the context this specific instance it has less to do with the overall cultural question of masculinity and more to do with a specific homosexual act which is the question that should have been asked of the information not included at all.

The simplest answer is that you cant escape human nature, and therefore history, and historically gender roles were well defined as was homosexuality. From the earliest written history, to the present (and in various zoological thingys) the cannotations for certain actions have specific semantic definitions: 'bottom' is always attributed to being weak and masculine is the complete opposite.

For the larger scope, Cicero said something a long the lines of 'A man's great quality is courage' and femininity is usually a complement to, not something contrasted to or weaker than masculinity. I dont see a problem with these and anyone who does is probably ignorant of themselves, of other people, and unable to appreciate such a definition.