how big of a difference visualy does 1080p have over 720p

Nielson is far more advanced than you realize. We don't need special boxes in people's houses anymore to know what you're watching. I know I've told people here offline some of the projects in this vein that I'm working on and most think it somewhere between sci-fi and fucking creepy. There's other methods for determining viewership than Nielson, its just what I mention because everyone here knows what that is.

For the sake of argument; what's the alternative? Count torrents? Especially since they bring in exactly $0? Yeah, advertisers love that.
no, I despise torrents

This idea was brought up a while ago in an article about BSG being downloaded in mas numbers before airing in the US: give an advertiser a watermark on a corner of the screen, the same way that the little "Sci-Fi" or "SKYOne" label was affixed to the screen throughout the entire episode. Make that a freely available download. Air the episode normally on TV for those that don't want to download, offer a streaming version for those that prefer that method and lastly, prep and release DVDs without the special content as soon after airing as possible.

I certainly don't have the answers but what you said about exec aversion is basically what I'm getting at. They're scared to even try new options, just like they were scared of the VCR and home video was, afaik, the most profitable thing the entertainment industry ever came across.

No, people do it because they don't think they'll get caught or be any consequences.

Once again, wrong. You have a situation where the downloader wants something and thinks they can get it for free without consequence. Its obviously worth something to them or else they wouldn't download it in the first place.
yes. you were saying it has no value to them because they won't pay for it. i'm saying the in economic terms value is also placed on time, effort and risk of prosecution, not just dollars. there is a continuum of demand and for certain items a consumer is willing to spend the time, effort and risk to download and watch something they would not otherwise pay the market price in dollars for.

for a free and legal example, i give you CSI: Miami. I do not watch the show on tv, and I would not expend the effort to download it to watch it, nor would i rent a season dvd to watch it. I do, however, watch the free episodes on their website because it's available when I want it and requires virtually no time or effort to begin viewing.

Last edited:
Nielson is far more advanced than you realize. We don't need special boxes in people's houses anymore to know what you're watching. I know I've told people here offline some of the projects in this vein that I'm working on and most think it somewhere between sci-fi and fucking creepy. There's other methods for determining viewership than Nielson, its just what I mention because everyone here knows what that is.

For the sake of argument; what's the alternative? Count torrents? Especially since they bring in exactly $0? Yeah, advertisers love that.

Digital cable boxes offer 2 way communication. I'm sure its simple to find what people watch.

BTW- Anime... quit being so cheap. It is not going to get you anywhere in life besides a decent bank statement. Who cares about that.

/family values :lol:

No, its not. Not at all. When you watch something on TV or even DVR it, we can record it as a viewer for the program. This is huge when selling ads. If you torrent shit, your "vote" for the program doesn't get counted. A little bird told me that this is the exact problem with Fox and sci-fi. Their shows get ripped off so much, that it doesn't bring in the Nielson numbers to show to the advertisers, and the money dries up quickly. Next time your favorite show gets canceled or you bitch about there being too many retarded reality TV shows on, think about it.

well i use newsgroups instead of torrents so that makes it all better right? :p

i've ripped 100's of movies from netflix too.

valve brings up a good point, how do they monitor what people are getting off of the free broadcast airwaves?

Last edited:
http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
not sure how the person came to their conclusion. but that's basically what I have read and heard "experts" talk about.

Well, the author seems to think studios are interested in releasing anything higher than 1080p to the general public. Good luck with that.

I think the measurements he's giving out are overly conservative.