how big of a difference visualy does 1080p have over 720p

what you have is a situation where the downloader feels that it is worth their time and effort to view something, the renter feels it is worth their money to view something, and the buyer feels it is worth more of their money to own something.

well i happen to not care, even if i were a millionaire its likely i still wouldn't pay for shit. now yes there are a few rare things that i feel compelled to buy for my collection. and in the case for books i demand hard copy because e-books are such a god awful experience.

but on that subject.... i can't honestly recall the last dvd or video game i actually paid for.

If you wouldn't pay to own or rent it, then its obviously not worth watching.

There are quite a few movies that I've downloaded that I would have NEVER seen otherwise. Although for me, piracy is a working business model. Downloaded Fallout 3, thought it was awesome, bought it. I haven't even opened it, just threw it in the closet.

Next on my list, Windows Home Server.

torrent won't start :mad: stupid school network is always gaying up my torrents.
but i went with the 1080 instead just cause of this screenshot.

Screenshot.2008-11-29_20.24.09.png

if that were true then people wouldn't download.

People download because it is convenient and free; whether the material is worth buying or renting is beside the point.
No, people do it because they don't think they'll get caught or be any consequences.

what you have is a situation where the downloader feels that it is worth their time and effort to view something, the renter feels it is worth their money to view something, and the buyer feels it is worth more of their money to own something.
Once again, wrong. You have a situation where the downloader wants something and thinks they can get it for free without consequence. Its obviously worth something to them or else they wouldn't download it in the first place.
i pay for cable but dont want to get a dvr so i just get it off the internet to watch instead. same basic thing.
No, its not. Not at all. When you watch something on TV or even DVR it, we can record it as a viewer for the program. This is huge when selling ads. If you torrent shit, your "vote" for the program doesn't get counted. A little bird told me that this is the exact problem with Fox and sci-fi. Their shows get ripped off so much, that it doesn't bring in the Nielson numbers to show to the advertisers, and the money dries up quickly. Next time your favorite show gets canceled or you bitch about there being too many retarded reality TV shows on, think about it.

well i happen to not care, even if i were a millionaire its likely i still wouldn't pay for shit. now yes there are a few rare things that i feel compelled to buy for my collection. and in the case for books i demand hard copy because e-books are such a god awful experience.

but on that subject.... i can't honestly recall the last dvd or video game i actually paid for.
You're so cool because you steal. :rolleyes:

torrent won't start :mad: stupid school network is always gaying up my torrents.
but i went with the 1080 instead just cause of this screenshot.
Poor baby

No, its not. Not at all. When you watch something on TV or even DVR it, we can record it as a viewer for the program. This is huge when selling ads. If you torrent shit, your "vote" for the program doesn't get counted. A little bird told me that this is the exact problem with Fox and sci-fi. Their shows get ripped off so much, that it doesn't bring in the Nielson numbers to show to the advertisers, and the money dries up quickly. Next time your favorite show gets canceled or you bitch about there being too many retarded reality TV shows on, think about it.
couldn't the networks make the programs available for download with embedded non-skippable ads so they can get proper metrics for ad revenue rather then keep their collective heads in a hole like an ostrich and pretend the whole thing isn't happening?

couldn't the networks make the programs available for download with embedded non-skippable ads so they can get proper metrics for ad revenue rather then keep their collective heads in a hole like an ostrich and pretend the whole thing isn't happening?

Yes, Im sure they could. But I think theyre all afraid of the scary internetwebs.
The few times Ive seen them do it , its all suckified.

i've seen online streaming stuff like that. but implementing things like that for a download would require new software at which point it gets even more disheartening for stupid people like me.

We can and we're working on it. In the mean time, there are things like Joost and Hulu. The problem isn't technology. We know how to do it now. The problem is risk aversion by the execs. They worry that they don't want to chance a risky venture or program because it won't make money because of theft and other things. So they default back to more safe things they KNOW will make money like reality TV and bland cop dramas.

Their shows get ripped off so much, that it doesn't bring in the Nielson numbers to show to the advertisers, and the money dries up quickly.

That's the core of the problem. Relying on Nielsen's ancient methods these days is about as backasswards retarded as the method the music business used before SoundScan.

That's the core of the problem. Relying on Nielsen's ancient methods these days is about as backasswards retarded as the method the music business used before SoundScan.
Nielson is far more advanced than you realize. We don't need special boxes in people's houses anymore to know what you're watching. I know I've told people here offline some of the projects in this vein that I'm working on and most think it somewhere between sci-fi and fucking creepy. There's other methods for determining viewership than Nielson, its just what I mention because everyone here knows what that is.

For the sake of argument; what's the alternative? Count torrents? Especially since they bring in exactly $0? Yeah, advertisers love that.