Thread House passes bill forcing ISP's to log all your donkey pron

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-2...ed-isp-snooping-bill/?tag=mantle_skin;content

Internet providers would be forced to keep logs of their customers' activities for one year--in case police want to review them in the future--under legislation that a U.S. House of Representatives committee approved today.

The 19 to 10 vote represents a victory for conservative Republicans, who made data retention their first major technology initiative after last fall's elections, and the Justice Department officials who have quietly lobbied for the sweeping new requirements, a development first reported by CNET.

A last-minute rewrite of the bill expands the information that commercial Internet providers are required to store to include customers' names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and temporarily-assigned IP addresses, some committee members suggested. By a 7-16 vote, the panel rejected an amendment that would have clarified that only IP addresses must be stored.

It represents "a data bank of every digital act by every American" that would "let us find out where every single American visited Web sites," said Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California, who led Democratic opposition to the bill.

Lofgren said the data retention requirements are easily avoided because they only apply to "commercial" providers. Criminals would simply go to libraries or Starbucks coffeehouses and use the Web anonymously, she said, while law-abiding Americans would have their activities recorded.

How stupid.

They cant! Unless they can prove you were the only person who could possibly have access to your computer >.>

Most ISPs in the US already do this. Not that I like it but how do you think the RIAA gets internet addresses. Also most cell phone contracts you waive the right to jury trial.

No, your ISP is how they translate the IP address that they got by seeding a torrent to a name and address.

No, your ISP is how they translate the IP address that they got by seeding a torrent to a name and address.
I meant street address. My bad :p They get your IP, call the ISP, get a street address.