Tampa House Hunting Adventure

"Even though this place is in a good neighborhood, I should put bars on the windows in the remote off chance I might be targeted for crime", also said no one ever.

This is not true. My best friend's father does stuff like that all the time. He put bars on all the windows on a house on a dead end street in a town that sees less crime than about 90% of the communities in the country. He's crazy paranoid.

An old house looks dated? You don't say!

See, that's what I'm trying to get her to understand, and she doesn't want to listen.

I get what you are going for. There's something to be said for making it your own. But buying a house that's at the top of your price range that needs a lot of work might be her fear. You won't be able to do the work right away. Maybe she doesn't want to live in a place that's substandard to her for many years waiting to save the money to fix it up.

@Mr. Asa
well, are you gonna tell us about the one you put an offer in on or what.

I mean, how else is mikeawesome gonna stalk you?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, we put an offer in on a house.
Arranging to meet with the inspector tomorrow... his name is Richard Pickle...

The hell?

:fly: :fly: I wish you lotsa luck with the inspection & hope that he catches everything he can that (may) be a red flag. Reading thru inspections drives me insane sometimes because SO many times I can see that there is a problem with something just by looking at the pics. And then I have to order a reinspection of those areas. 10 x's out of 10 it's a problem that the homeowner needs to address before they can list their property with us/accept our appraised offer. It can be a real mess.

So, apparently with govt backed loans there is a system called CAIVRS. While VA and such only care about deed-in-lieu and short sales for 2 years, CAIVRS reports for 3 years, and this can fuck any chances of getting a govt backed loan until it is removed.

We are chasing this down to try and find out what is going on. It is mind-boggling that no one can tell you from the get-go what the hell someone actually needs to do.

Everything I've been told about that system is if you have a short sale within 3 years its not gonna happen.

"If you come up on CAIVRS, you can fix it. If CAIVRS says that you are delinquent on federal debt or have had a claim paid in the last three years on a HUD loan, you cannot get government financing. You have to first pay off the debt or at least bring it current under an approved repayment plan. Then you must obtain a written copy of the plan from the creditor. (Federal IRS tax liens are allowed to stay unpaid if the IRS subordinates the tax lien to the FHA mortgage.)"

Everything I've been told about that system is if you have a short sale within 3 years its not gonna happen.

"If you come up on CAIVRS, you can fix it. If CAIVRS says that you are delinquent on federal debt or have had a claim paid in the last three years on a HUD loan, you cannot get government financing. You have to first pay off the debt or at least bring it current under an approved repayment plan. Then you must obtain a written copy of the plan from the creditor. (Federal IRS tax liens are allowed to stay unpaid if the IRS subordinates the tax lien to the FHA mortgage.)"
She had Deed-in-lieu.
And that's the thing, Citi is supposed to be reporting it as "Debt-Satisfied" but the credit bureaus are not accepting that (despite Citi sending them a letter that explicitly states they are not seeking any money, fees, or any other sort of anything her). From this entire ordeal, I am convinced that the credit bureaus do not actually do anything, it literally changes day to day with no rhyme or reason (in once case mine jumped 50+ points in 4 days, and I had done nothing)

I did a VA on my current place two years ago. Being so close to the housing bubble then it was like pulling teeth getting that thing through.

He ignored us cause he sucked. The other guy we got has been in contact daily. You also have to remember where I am, and how much of a military presence is in this area.

That's good. A lot of realtors will ignore you the second they figure out you're VA. It's technically illegal to turn down a client on that basis but it's commonplace.

There are tons of restrictions, as you know. Especially for buyer's agents. I've seen some bad deals where the agent gets a 0% commission. Yikes!

Hey @Floptical
Could you get me a link to where you read that from?

Also, apparently Citi decided that we foreclosed on a home.... today? :wtf:
I'm seriously wondering at what point we bring a lawsuit against them.

Last edited by a moderator: