Advice Hot New Tech? Tell us about something up and coming.

I forget the exact number, but I think about 8 randomly picked stocks will statically return about the same as the index they're in. So your 25-30 stocks, assuming they're all over the place, should be pretty close to FZROX, except unlike your stock trades it has a 0% expense ratio.

That said, I buy $10 a week of LTC and BTC just for fun. I know it's gambling and I'm sure you do too.

atomic swapped 66 LTC and .75 BTC for LINK last month. i'm reckless as fuck!! 🙂

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Coworker got fucked on weed stock
Too many peeps aren't doing the math on some of those. Sure, they produce 100 tons of weed - that's like enough for Michigan. For a month. :)
Just like everyone else, you are not smarter than the market. It's gambling, you just don't know it.

edit: And the fact that you post 1 year returns suggests you don't. Sorry dude.
The market is made up of all players and there is a wide range of smarts and approaches at play. Take my brother(please) - he sees a stock go down, he immediately starts whining "I lost X today." and sells in a total knee-jerk. I don't i.nternalize it that way at all - it ain't money lost until I sell. He and I bought the same stocks a number of times over the years, but I consistently made 2-3 times what he made. Because I played it differently, tried to apply some thought as to why and what in the bigger picture was driving the stock up/down.

Nothing wrong with looking at one-year returns - it's better than my returns over the 28-29 years I've had that account, but even over that time, I'm probably at close to 50% compunded, in relation to my basis. It was a volatile last 12 months for me in many other ways, particularly employment wise. I'm chuffed that I apparently did something right at the 3-4 times during the last year when I made some good decisions mixed in with the not so good.
Sorry dude - sounds like you got some sour grapes issues.

Too many peeps aren't doing the math on some of those. Sure, they produce 100 tons of weed - that's like enough for Michigan. For a month. :)

The market is made up of all players and there is a wide range of smarts and approaches at play. Take my brother(please) - he sees a stock go down, he immediately starts whining "I lost X today." and sells in a total knee-jerk. I don't i.nternalize it that way at all - it ain't money lost until I sell. He and I bought the same stocks a number of times over the years, but I consistently made 2-3 times what he made. Because I played it differently, tried to apply some thought as to why and what in the bigger picture was driving the stock up/down.

Nothing wrong with looking at one-year returns - it's better than my returns over the 28-29 years I've had that account, but even over that time, I'm probably at close to 50% compunded, in relation to my basis. It was a volatile last 12 months for me in many other ways, particularly employment wise. I'm chuffed that I apparently did something right at the 3-4 times during the last year when I made some good decisions mixed in with the not so good.
Sorry dude - sounds like you got some sour grapes issues.

Don't mind him.
Fly thinks you can just buy into an index fund or aimlessly throw darts at a board and do just as good as people who study and learn markets and analyze businesses and try different approaches and learn from experience..........STATISTICALLY.

• Haha
Don't mind him.
Fly thinks you can just buy into an index fund or aimlessly throw darts at a board and do just as good as people who study and learn markets and analyze businesses and try different approaches and learn from experience..........STATISTICALLY.
For the most part, @fly is right about this one.

You've got to get into a pretty rarified strata of investment manager to consistently beat indices on a consistent, net of fees basis.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
For the most part, @fly is right about this one.

You've got to get into a pretty rarified strata of investment manager to consistently beat indices on a consistent, net of fees basis.
Apparently I missed my calling. The other account I have is with ING - I got into it because the wife was with them and her ING lady came over one day. I've beaten the fuck out of any of their funds. That shit is the real gambling - when you buy into a fund you let someone else deal the cards. And you know the "house" has to be paid. That's gambling - the math is already aginst you and you STILL think you are going to be lucky. Just because. Oh yeah, because you've been lucky all those other times.

Apparently I missed my calling. The other account I have is with ING - I got into it because the wife was with them and her ING lady came over one day. I've beaten the fuck out of any of their funds. That shit is the real gambling - when you buy into a fund you let someone else deal the cards. And you know the "house" has to be paid. That's gambling - the math is already aginst you and you STILL think you are going to be lucky. Just because. Oh yeah, because you've been lucky all those other times.

Oh and one other time I remember @nukes and I were trying to describe how the house always wins and Fly didn't believe it was true for poker because "you're just playing the other people at the table".........in someone else's house.

The guy is pretty talented and savvy as far as finding a niche where the juice is worth the squeeze and profit can be had in the moving of physical products but he really doesn't get the big picture shit.

And yes I'm mostly pointing out this shit to poke at @fly , who's still better at business than I.

• Haha
9.5 times out of 10, you won't beat the indexes.

You can think you're the exception all you'd like, and maybe you are, the odds are stacked against you though.