Ontopic Hot Deals Thread

That's the tool snobbery at work.

It wasn't all that long ago a big DeWalt and like 4 batteries just to get through an afternoon of real work was considered "the shit".

They and everyone else are all china now.
Yeah. Taiwan is the goto now

No tool snob here. Never understood the logic behind a 1/4" drive impact driver though. Makes no sense to me, and I imagine doesn't make much sense to people who regularly use impacts for what impacts are used for either.
What doesn't make sense? It's an impact driver. If you need bigger get a impact wrench

No tool snob here. Never understood the logic behind a 1/4" drive impact driver though. Makes no sense to me, and I imagine doesn't make much sense to people who regularly use impacts for what impacts are used for either.
As an electrician we used them almost exclusively. Its a driver not a wrench. They're basically a drill and won't beat the shit out of stuff if it gets stuck a lil. Think metal studs and stuff.

Are you doing mechanic shit? No? You're doing construction shit? 1/4" is all you need.

3/8" is for garage stuff. You don't need enough torque to pull 30 year old head bolts when you are installing shelves.

Yeah I built my deck with a 1/4" impact in like two days.

Using two 1.5ah, probably 10 year old batteries that came with the cordless drill kit I bought. Probably cycled batteries a half dozen times each day but I don't care, the batteries charge quicker than you use them, and I'm using little wee home gamer 1.5aH batteries anyway.

Really they're just the best cordless screwdriver ever made.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Are you doing mechanic shit? No? You're doing construction shit? 1/4" is all you need.

3/8" is for garage stuff. You don't need enough torque to pull 30 year old head bolts when you are installing shelves.
for most mechanic shit, my Hitachi 1/4" electric rattle paddle does the trick too. It pulls wheels off just fine.

It's not an impact wrench man, its a driver, entirely different tool.

It's for screws or small lags, not bolts. Replacement for a drill, not a wrench

When I think impact I think stuff you'd need an impact function for, which is not anything to do with wood or light metal I've ever come across. Be like having the hammer turned on your drill and not drilling in masonry or something

Last edited:
Ever built a fence? Impact drivers make that a bit easier.
More miles of fence than I can remember.

You maybe right and it's just one of those things I never felt a need for so didn't use and thus didn't experience how much easier it could make it. Half decent regular screw gun seemed easy enough that's all.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly

You maybe right and it's just one of those things I never felt a need for so didn't use and thus didn't experience how much easier it could make it. Half decent regular screw gun seemed easy enough that's all.
i was there like 10 years ago, because I didnt understand what they were

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

Trust me: it's worth way more than a 7" battery powered miter saw.

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer