Ontopic Hot Deals Thread

:lol: You and your transfer speeds.
ill admit it largely doesnt matter. Gotta remember, when i started datahoarding, networks were 100mbit, and my goal was not to have any local storage and have the same quality of life as if i did.

I have largely succeeded at that goal throughout the growth of my storage, starting from 5 10GB original xbox hard drives in raid0 to a proper rackmountable 4u with a 1000 dollar raid controller.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
ill admit it largely doesnt matter. Gotta remember, when i started datahoarding, networks were 100mbit, and my goal was not to have any local storage and have the same quality of life as if i did.

I have largely succeeded at that goal throughout the growth of my storage, starting from 5 10GB original xbox hard drives in raid0 to a proper rackmountable 4u with a 1000 dollar raid controller.
I don't even need 100mbit for what I do. But we all get weirdly fascinated with shit that really doesn't matter.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie

This where I was coming from. Always more room, more speed. Costing more money. We get fascinated. At some point hopefully you get a break because it's so cheap and ubiquitous. I feel cameras,sound and displays are highly tapped in that regard. You don't upgrade because you have to, you do it because you want to. Totally guilty myself :)

I feel so small . . . we have 3 PCs total - one with two, 1TB spinners in our work/art studio, then wife and I each have individual machines with 1 TB spinners. 8TB Western Digi SSD for backup. Wired and Wi-Fi. blahdee, blah, blah.

BLAH!

I feel so small . . . we have 3 PCs total - one with two, 1TB spinners in our work/art studio, then wife and I each have individual machines with 1 TB spinners. 8TB Western Digi SSD for backup. Wired and Wi-Fi. blahdee, blah, blah.

BLAH!
Yeah but that's all you need and you also get laid at least five times a week.

BLAH!
Correction, you don't have an 8TB SSD. :p

no, cause if we're gonna count work shit, you all lose, forever
Pfft, you're not allowed to share how many innocent Americans' calls are indexed per second on your clandestine NSA servers.

I, on the other hand, have published results showing my work 10-60x faster than a Panasas-optimized storage solution. :p