Hopefully my recent sex life is kind of an interesting story

Wren

Flaccid Member
Oct 16, 2006
Marklar
₥0
So I did it, I graduated college, with a BA in Psychology. Now I'm doing lab work for money over the summer and starting grad school in the fall. What in the hell, I think I'm old or something, haha.

I went wakeboarding for a week to celebrate. That was fun. It was hard too, haha. It was a little mistimed; I kind of felt like relaxing more than doing sports for a lot of the trip. But it still felt good.

When we got back, Aaron and I started making furniture. Right now I have a chair, no desk, my mattress and computer on the floor, and my clothes just stacked in a corner. We finished all of the structural work on a small table, now we just need to stain and coat it. After that we're doing a main desk for me, followed by a bed and desk for Aaron, and then a bed for me.

Building furniture is turning out so far to be a lot of fun. Cheap, too. Also, we're using particle board for the surfaces and then veneering them (gluing a thin sheet of real wood on top to make it look nice), which makes things SO MUCH easier. That way, we can put screws in the top of the desk without having them be an eyesore later. Go ahead and think for a second how you could attach a leg to a desk without a screw showing on the top or visible sides. There are a few ways to do it, but they're all a lot harder than just screwing it in from the top.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get a couch off of craigslist to put in here. I have a 16' x 11' room to myself. This area of graduate housing was really built for married people. I'm going to have an L-shaped desk that is 4.5'x6' in one corner, a full size bed in another, and then a couch along the remaining side. And then a mini-fridge and an air conditioner on the floor.

Today when I went in to work I found that they had forgotten I was starting and had nothing prepared so they just sent me home and told me to come tomorrow, haha.

I've lived in apartments for the last two years, but they were school-owned ones with furniture provided. Also there were 4 of us and we just pooled kitchen stuff. So it's taking me a while to get up to speed, especially with building my own furniture. So far I really just have my bathroom stuff and the equipment for the kitchen in really good order. I still have to go buy actual food. Mmm, frozen dinners :)

I framed a picture of my sister and I that Aaron's little sister drew. All I have to say is, fuck the framing industry, that shit is expensive. I wanted to mount my lab shirt that everyone signed in a shadow box, too. So far I haven't seen any way to get a hold of a box that big for under $350. Fuck that. I'm going to see if I can get some wire and foam and do some kind of taxidermy-style thing to it, and then just hang it on the wall. No, I have no idea what I specifically mean by that.

So I guess cliffs?:
1. graduated, moved to graduate housing, starting in fall again
2. my new place is as bare as April's womb for the next 3 years
3. I really have no idea if #2 is an appropriate comment or not, but I'm running with it anyway
4. There's probably an even less appropriate comment about the space inside this place and somebody's vagina waiting there for me, but I don't know how to frame it right
4. fuck framers
5. moving in takes forever, when you have no furniture
6. I'm building my own furniture
7. I'm going to try and mount a shirt on the wall in a cool way

Building furniture is turning out so far to be a lot of fun. Cheap, too. Also, we're using particle board for the surfaces and then veneering them (gluing a thin sheet of real wood on top to make it look nice), which makes things SO MUCH easier. That way, we can put screws in the top of the desk without having them be an eyesore later. Go ahead and think for a second how you could attach a leg to a desk without a screw showing on the top or visible sides. There are a few ways to do it, but they're all a lot harder than just screwing it in from the top.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=781&TabSelect=Details

Go ahead and think for a second how you could attach a leg to a desk without a screw showing on the top or visible sides. There are a few ways to do it, but they're all a lot harder than just screwing it in from the top.

Its called a counter-bore + bung.
Also, while doing laminates is a good way to make furniture on the cheap, bear in mind that if you drop something on it, or it gets gouged or damaged in some way, its impossible to repair without it looking like ass.

edit - and rockler.com is an awesome site

Last edited:
The college I work at teaches furniture design and building. The kids making some truly awesome things. I should take a class or two. I would think making your own furniture would be highly satisfying.

Why do I still wet the bed? Does it mean I'm going to be a serial killer?

No, it just means that April is sticking your fingers in places that are warm and wet while you sleep.

You are being molested. This sort of thing doesn't happen normally, but it does happen on meth.