Hooray for discrimination!

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I just got an email from the company that is conducting my relocation and they will not give compensation for "domestic partners". They will, however, to spouses and dependants, no problem. Don't even have to show a marriage license or birth certificate for either of them.

The issue is chim and I can't get married in Ohio. It won't be recognized. Therefore by definition we are not spouses. We would be "domestic partners". Sure we could get a marriage license in another state or country, but it still won't qualify as Ohio strictly enforces any binding between two people that is not a certified marriage is unrecognizable in the law.

What makes this more interesting, however, is that my company is global. We have facilities where gay marriage is legal. Hell the NA HR department is in Conn, in which gay marriage is legal. Technically in that state, chim and I can be spouses and we would be covered. Because it is Ohio, however, we cannot.

Yes I know it will be the same story from the Lone Star state, but it is still discrimination any way to slice it.

Are their not laws against this?

Quite the opposite, there are laws FOR this. Constitutional amendments explicitly stating a marriage is to be a man and woman.

Section 11. Only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this state and its political subdivisions. This state and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance or effect of marriage.

No domestic partnerships (homo or hetero), no civil unions, no civil partnerships no <insert coupling phrase du jour>.

But, say, I was just living with someone, a girl, whom I was not married to, and I was going through the same ordeal, would this not mean I would have the same issue?

But, say, I was just living with someone, a girl, whom I was not married to, and I was going through the same ordeal, would this not mean I would have the same issue?

:lol:

Edit: I'm going to assume the argument against this is he's beyond dating status with Chim but can't take it to the legal level. It's different than just dating some random chick and wanting to move with her.

Last edited:

Yes you would. But even if chim and I were officially married in Canada, we still wouldn't qualify. Our license is legit. In 7 states we would be recognized. But not Ohio.

Also, I can't get chim under my medical coverage, either, so when we move down here, he isn't covered until he can find a job with coverage for himself.

If they require no proof of marriage for heterosexual couples but refuse yours, that's should be a lawsuit right there.

On what grounds? The Ohio constitution (and therefore my local HR department) make it very clear, no binding without a marriage license is recognized or legally binding. Because my company does not have any same-sex clauses in it, I am stuck.

It's all pedantic anyway seeing as those chim and I are too lazy to drive up to Canada to get a license :fly:

On what grounds? The Ohio constitution (and therefore my local HR department) make it very clear, no binding without a marriage license is recognized or legally binding. Because my company does not have any same-sex clauses in it, I am stuck.

It's all pedantic anyway seeing as those chim and I are too lazy to drive up to Canada to get a license :fly:

If they don't check for marriage licenses but just refuse, then that's discrimination. They're doing no verification other than a name.

If they don't check for marriage licenses but just refuse, then that's discrimination. They're doing no verification other than a name.

Well it's probably a matter of assumption. If I marked down on my transfer papers I have a spouse coming down and then fill chim's name out as my spouse, they would flag it. (actually the relocation company did). If not, then maybe Duke's solution would work because they would just assume.

Of course after I signed the document, I am committing fraud technically because in Ohio I cannot have a male spouse by definition, so the fact I signed a document that stated to the best of my knowledge I am truthfully filling out that chim is my spouse, I would be break the constitution. I can't justifiably sign that chim is my spouse on that document as much as Duke can justify his gf/weekend fling/whatever was his spouse. Unfortunately I would/and did get flagged.

Discrimination yes, but I am legally bound.

you should have said his name was chimlette and acted straight. they would have moved you no questions asked :fly:

Quite the opposite, there are laws FOR this. Constitutional amendments explicitly stating a marriage is to be a man and woman.

No domestic partnerships (homo or hetero), no civil unions, no civil partnerships no <insert coupling phrase du jour>.

no no.. what I mean is, say I had a common law partner, should I not get the same benefits as a married couple?

no no.. what I mean is, say I had a common law partner, should I not get the same benefits as a married couple?

In Ohio, no.

Section 11. Only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this state and its political subdivisions. This state and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance or effect of marriage.

That binding simulates some rights and privileges afforded to married couples but without the license. This is, therefore, unrecognizable and not legally binding in the state of Ohio.

This amendment removed common law and civil unions from any couple in 2004.

If you were "married" by common law or in a civil partnership called a "civil union" prior to 2004, when that amendment passed, you just became only roommates.

Last edited:
Why don't one of you just dress in drag and get this over with.

Friggin crap, I have to think of everything.

Why don't one of you just dress in drag and get this over with.

Friggin crap, I have to think of everything.

What, did you and kiwi wear stilts so you could see over the registrar's office to pick up your license so they would assume you were of legal age?