Register for an adventure

Interested in learning new things that you never actually wanted to know?

Food Home-made sauces/condiments?

Discussion in 'useless chatter' started by Mr. Asa, Jan 18, 2013.

1. The girlfriend cooked at a vietnamese restaurant and learned how to make it. Love the stuff.

Here's the procedure:

- Fry up some onions/carrots/celery/ginger in a pot, set aside.
    - If there's meat on your bones, sear it (maillard reaction FTW) and set it aside.
    - Toast spices (star anise, fennel, peppercorns, cinnamon) in the bottom of a stock pot. You can sometimes buy "pho spice" at some asian markets, which is a bag of spices.
    - Dump in veg/meat/bones and a bunch of water. Add a couple bay leaves. Break a stock of lemongrass in half and throw it in.
    - Simmer for 4-5 hours. I use a pressure cooker and ~2 hours.

To serve:

- Cut the strip of fat off a striploin steak, then cut the steak into thin (1/8" or thinner) strips. I usually do this ahead of time, and the leftover steak gets seared and thrown in with the stock.
    - Boil a bunch of pho noodles. Bring the stock to a boil while you're at it.
    - Dump the noodles/broth in bowls, and add the beef (the hot stock will cook it).
    - Serve with hoisin sauce, sriracha, bean sprouts and thai basil.

2. :lol: :lolbow:

3. I have 1200sq yds of vegetable garden. Have you any idea how much room it takes to start everything under glass from seed? Far easier, where possible, to get whatever you can as plug plants. As Asa said, basil dies out over winter even in a greenhouse here.