Thread Home inspections! They do nothing!

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
While getting the house repiped because the inspector did not seem to report that the pipes in the house are steel and will rust, the AC unit went out. While that was being looked at, the HVAC guy (confirmed with many others) said the 40+ year old furnace is a fire hazard and needs to be replaced. This was AFTER the gas lines were replaced and recertified because there was a leak that the inspector did not notify us about.

Home ownership is such a wise investment! You make lots of money on homes! You should always save up for a home because it's a smart investment that will pay dividends in the end! And with a house inspection, you can be sure you are notified of issues so you can bargain the price better and feel secure in your massive purchase!

</rant>

NEVER BUYING AGAIN!

Civil suit against the inspector for not doing what he was paid to do.

this actually might hold water. They carry significant insurance, almost comparable to title company insurance specifically for this kind of thing.

While getting the house repiped because the inspector did not seem to report that the pipes in the house are steel and will rust, the AC unit went out. While that was being looked at, the HVAC guy (confirmed with many others) said the 40+ year old furnace is a fire hazard and needs to be replaced. This was AFTER the gas lines were replaced and recertified because there was a leak that the inspector did not notify us about.

Home ownership is such a wise investment! You make lots of money on homes! You should always save up for a home because it's a smart investment that will pay dividends in the end! And with a house inspection, you can be sure you are notified of issues so you can bargain the price better and feel secure in your massive purchase!

</rant>

NEVER BUYING AGAIN!

All this depends on how quickly these things are failing after you bought the home. Years? gfy, they were likely fine when you bought the place, months before failure, yeah, you've got something

Civil suit against the inspector for not doing what he was paid to do.

this actually might hold water. They carry significant insurance, almost comparable to title company insurance specifically for this kind of thing.

Nope. I talked to her already and because I signed a waiver at the start, there is no recourse. She is not liable for anything. The report she gave was a list of "recommendations upon her best effort findings". She didn't find everything, obviously. She didn't recommend everything, obviously, but she was never on the hook to do such things.

All this depends on how quickly these things are failing after you bought the home. Years? gfy, they were likely fine when you bought the place, months before failure, yeah, you've got something

I haven't owned the house a year yet. Roof is starting to look dodgy, too.

still need an inspection. I have a friend that got huge $$ off his new home because the inspector saw that all of the eves were put together wrong.

I got the AC working and some other plumbing and electrical stuff worked on because the inspector found those things. All in all, it was actually worth her price, but still shitty.

You sign a waiver so the inspector is not liable for anything? What the fuck is the point of the damn inspector then? What incentive do they have to do their job if there is no accountability?

Nope. I talked to her already and because I signed a waiver at the start, there is no recourse. She is not liable for anything. The report she gave was a list of "recommendations upon her best effort findings". She didn't find everything, obviously. She didn't recommend everything, obviously, but she was never on the hook to do such things.

& let's think about it. You're spending $300-$500 on how much of an investment? and they only have to tell you about what they can see. Oh, there's bees between the walls and it was a cold day so we didn't see them zipping in and out of your shutter?? Yeah, that happens.

I missed the cracked foundation behind that massive bush? ORLY??

You could spend $1000 on a contractor to come out & get a better idea but everyone thinks, 'eh, it won't happen to me.'

When I got my home inspection done, the inspector pointed out things that were not issues with code, but which should be considered at a future date.
Depends on how good the inspector is, I guess.

You sign a waiver so the inspector is not liable for anything? What the fuck is the point of the damn inspector then? What incentive do they have to do their job if there is no accountability?

Exactly. That's why they are not mandatory.

A typical inspection on a 3-4 bedroom house w/a basement takes about 2hrs. The inspector makes about $100, the inspection co makes the balance for overhead & owners compensation. I'd say $50/hour is incentive.

You misunderstood.

No accountability means the inspector can just walk around spouting bullshit, overlooking issues, and still make that $50/hour.

the purpose is more to point out anything that is so blatantly bad that it makes the place not worth buying i think, not to find every issue.