Thread Home inspections! They do nothing!

Its pouring rain, and this is the house going up behind me

OE4GPCV.jpg

yep. thats all OSB.

What a shitty house. It doesn't even have a roof.

And I wouldn't do the repairs myself, even if I could. To get the house inspected, you have to be registered with the city ($300 fee). If you go with a contractor to do the certification of your work, they won't do it. My friend redid his whole electric system and cannot find a contractor to certified the work that was done. They want to do the work themselves, so it will cost him almost $10K for a contractor to come in and "redo" the work he put in (which btw technically IS up to code).

And I wouldn't do the repairs myself, even if I could. To get the house inspected, you have to be registered with the city ($300 fee). If you go with a contractor to do the certification of your work, they won't do it. My friend redid his whole electric system and cannot find a contractor to certified the work that was done. They want to do the work themselves, so it will cost him almost $10K for a contractor to come in and "redo" the work he put in (which btw technically IS up to code).

Yeah, you need to find that person FIRST. Lesson learned.

Pfft, inspections. You're replacing existing systems. Who's to say they weren't always fixed ;) just dyi it to code and no-one will ever know

Pfft, inspections. You're replacing existing systems. Who's to say they weren't always fixed ;) just dyi it to code and no-one will ever know
this depends on how major the diy. If a diy sunroom was never permited, 'code' is irrelevant. It needs to be permitted first. In our area, if you finish a basement, you can't advertise it's finished unless you can show permits. This is a great negotiating tool for prospective buyers.

When I was framing my shed, I put down an OSB floor instead of plywood. figured it's it's inside the building's vapor envelope, it wouldn't get wet ordinarily, etc. I did everything proper, ran them perpendicular to the floor joists. It was solid.

Then when I was building the roof framing, we had a week of hard rain. The OSB swelled and I now had a spongy floor, end up putting plywood on top of it before I put down the flooring.
OSB is fine, letting sit in rain for a week was the mistake :p Plywood will warp and pull the nails right out in similar situations. -.-

That is seriously F'ed Up.