Ontopic Home Ebonics

Lots of people in thier twenties still live at home... That didn't happen in my parents generation.

Depends. My mom's Scottish. She lived with her parents until she got married. And even that isn't a requirement for the British.

Think about what preteens/teens want - everything right now.

With all of the gadgets to keep them constantly in touch, the internet giving them everything they desire to see and the wider array of drugs available, I can't see that that we were more spoiled.

Sorry but this is bullshit. preteens/teens do want everything now, but they are only learning this type of behaviour from those around them, i.e. the adults. AKA us!

Sorry but this is bullshit. preteens/teens do want everything now, but they are only learning this type of behaviour from those around them, i.e. the adults. AKA us!

All teenagers want everything right now, the unusual part is with today's technology, they can.

This is a spoiled generation. It seems every younger kid out there these days has the whole expectation mentality. It's tough to fight and keep them on the right track. Everything is at their fingertips.

That being said, what a fucking wall of text in the op.

Makes sense considering we are the offspring of baby boomers, who before us were the most spoiled generation. Maybe being spoiled is not such a bad thing. It's commonly believed that our quality of living is higher than it's ever been. I think our culture breeds as much ambition as it does sloth.

Upon graduation from high school, we are challenged with a bastardization of Luke 12:48; I remember the commencement speech ending with "to whom much is given, much is expected."

And that's the mentality of the people who I went to school with. We come from all sorts of cultural backgrounds, but that's what the school chiseled in to the back of our heads. And I can tell you, nothing has been more challenging than high school for me. College, work, or my personal life. None of it lives up to the rigor of high school.

How could you possibly know that? Do you know every (pre)teen? If not, stop making shit up.

Oh look. You throwing my own comments back at my yet completely missing the context. Isn't you and your useless cronies on here who always cry about me generalizing Americans, yet here you are defending those who are generalizing teenagers.

Discussing anything on this forum is utterly pointless.

I left with one semester of home economics (which was basically cooking). And a semester of economics, where half of it covers personal finance. I remember almost nothing from those classes but my skills in those areas suffice, nevermind my degree ended up being in Economics. The most valuable skills taught in every class was how to be resourceful. I didn't realize til much later than the inane projects and papers we did ad nauseam weren't really about the content.

dbz has it right. Most of this shit you're left to figure out for yourself. Parents can't be relied upon and neither can schools.