Ontopic Home Ebonics

I learned to cook by necessity, following recipes, and watching lots of cooking shows.

I learned how to clean by reading the packaging on cleaners.

I learned to do laundry by reading the tags on the clothes and reading detergent bottles.

I still have no idea what "balancing a checkbook" is, or that concept, but I check my bank accounts multiple times a week and make sure I have enough in there for any purchases or more exactly credit card payments I need to make and to see any rogue purchases I didn't do.

I invested into a 401K because a financial advisor suggested it to me. I have a small investment account because I read somewhere to spread out your money in case something goes wrong. I picked the job I did because of the health insurance and pension benefits because I figured those would be important, whatever they were.

And for those of you that know me, I am not that smart. If I can figure this stuff out, it isn't that hard.

Lack of work ethic is most peoples problem, and thats not something you can learn school, it's something you pick up from your parents or guardian through discipline and observation.

This is a spoiled generation. It seems every younger kid out there these days has the whole expectation mentality. It's tough to fight and keep them on the right track. Everything is at their fingertips.

That being said, what a fucking wall of text in the op.

Honesty this discussion is bs. This generational gap is no different than all of the previous ones. Our parents said we were lazy and not ready for life no different than there parents said it about them. The schools responsibility is education not life skills. I am sure 90% of us left high school not ready for grown up life and most of us turned out fine. Maybe people these days don't need the exact serif skills we think they need. Most people I know these days eat out alot more than we did so cooking isn't needed as much. Hell I have never once balanced a check book and can fit every check I've ever wrote into a single check book. I have programs to do all of that for me.

Honesty this discussion is bs. This generational gap is no different than all of the previous ones. Our parents said we were lazy and not ready for life no different than what the parents said it about them. The schools responsibility is education not life skills. I am sure 90% of us left high school not ready for grown up life and most of us turned out fine. Maybe people these days don't need the exact serif skills we think they need. Most people I know these days eat out alot more than we did so cooking isn't needed as much. Hell I have never once balanced a check book and can fit every check I've ever wrote into a single check book. I have programs to do all of that for me.

This is a spoiled generation. It seems every younger kid out there these days has the whole expectation mentality. It's tough to fight and keep them on the right track. Everything is at their fingertips.

That being said, what a fucking wall of text in the op.

That and I'm sure our parents generation said the same thing about our generation.

That and I'm sure our parents generation said the same thing about our generation.

Think about what preteens/teens want - everything right now.

With all of the gadgets to keep them constantly in touch, the internet giving them everything they desire to see and the wider array of drugs available, I can't see that that we were more spoiled.

Think about what preteens/teens want - everything right now.

With all of the gadgets to keep them constantly in touch, the internet giving them everything they desire to see and the wider array of drugs available, I can't see that that we were more spoiled.

I heard the same crap from my parents but it was video games, cable tv, and driving.

Honesty this discussion is bs. This generational gap is no different than all of the previous ones. Our parents said we were lazy and not ready for life no different than what the parents said it about them. The schools responsibility is education not life skills. I am sure 90% of us left high school not ready for grown up life and most of us turned out fine. Maybe people these days don't need the exact serif skills we think they need. Most people I know these days eat out alot more than we did so cooking isn't needed as much. Hell I have never once balanced a check book and can fit every check I've ever wrote into a single check book. I have programs to do all of that for me.
Someone should have taught you how not to double post. That would have been an important life skill.

:heart:

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
I heard the same crap from my parents but it was video games, cable tv, and driving.

I never heard anything from my parents and grandparents requiring anything right now. this is the first generation that answers to most any questions are instant, services are almost instant, information is instant. I am curious how this will work generations down the line, what more they expect is instant.

Anndd did your cable connections have instant messaging...? What about cell phones?? Internet??

you can't deny the "at your fingertips" this generation has!

I remember having to sneak over to my best friend's house and because we were grounded from one another, (because at my direction, we decided to fill the neighbor's carport with tumbleweeds and various fence bits from the storm. He was jerk, anyway), and our primary means of communication was a Corona bottle with our notes in them! :fly:

Honesty this discussion is bs. This generational gap is no different than all of the previous ones. Our parents said we were lazy and not ready for life no different than there parents said it about them. The schools responsibility is education not life skills.

But maybe that should shift. We don't *always* have to do something because that's how its always been done...

I am sure 90% of us left high school not ready for grown up life and most of us turned out fine. Maybe people these days don't need the exact serif skills we think they need. Most people I know these days eat out alot more than we did so cooking isn't needed as much.

And if you see the link in the first post, that's part of the problem!

Lack of work ethic is most peoples problem, and thats not something you can learn school, it's something you pick up from your parents or guardian through discipline and observation.

Lack of work ethic? LOL More like people pretending they know shit they couldn't possible know.