Holy S**t Bush Vetoes something!

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,066
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204375,00.html

Yeah, let's veto a spending bill, a spending bill having to do with stem cell research. While we're trying to appeal to our neo-Luddite constituency let's reintroduce that anti gay marriage amendment. These being the two biggest threats to the country at the moment.

But dont worry! Once the Mexicans take over they'll have the same medical research stance!

I'm in full support of this. The last thing I want is yet more unnecessary federal spending. No one should have to financially support something they believe is inherently wrong.

FlyNavy said:
I'm in full support of this. The last thing I want is yet more unnecessary federal spending. No one should have to financially support something they believe is inherently wrong.

Pffhhtt! It's not going to matter anyway. If we use stem cell research and it somehow cures cancer, something new will sneak up on us and wipe out the population. I'm actually for it, but we play God too much anyway.

InnerMuse said:
Pffhhtt! It's not going to matter anyway. If we use stem cell research and it somehow cures cancer, something new will sneak up on us and wipe out the population. I'm actually for it, but we play God too much anyway.
The mistake most people make with this bit of news is that they think it means Bush is banning scientific research on stem cells. That's simply not the case. There is no ban on embryonic research. Period. What this bill does is keep the government from yet again unfairly taking more of our money and dumping into a wasteful, bureaucratic system that will not live up to its' promises.

If people are so interested in stem cell research then they need to start donating to private institutions responsible for that research, not complaining that Uncle Sam isn't going to foot the bill by reaching into our pockets.

FlyNavy said:
The mistake most people make with this bit of news is that they think it means Bush is banning scientific research on stem cells. That's simply not the case. There is no ban on embryonic research. Period. What this bill does is keep the government from yet again unfairly taking more of our money and dumping into a wasteful, bureaucratic system that will not live up to its' promises.

If people are so interested in stem cell research then they need to start donating to private institutions responsible for that research, not complaining that Uncle Sam isn't going to foot the bill by reaching into our pockets.
My points were that he NEVER VETOES ANYTHING. Denying one spending bill hardly qualifies him as a fiscal conservative. Remember this is the same idiot who pushed through 'No Child Left Behind'. Labeling it as anything but an overt appeal Christian fundamentalists is retarded. He'd likely fund research into creationism if it came along, and I actually wouldnt be surprised if he has already...

Other points of stupidity, he could rescind the 1989 Import ban with a stroke of his pen but he wont. He promised to sign a new AWB if congress voted one through. He's PUSHING for an immigration amnesty. I can go on...

Also medical research, funded by your tax dollars is the most effective way to research unprofitable things. You cant patent research/knowledge and sell it, the only money is in pharmaceuticals. If you were to develop a method of treating an illness, any illness, you cant market it as a product. There is no pay off.

Looking at a longer run. The point of a corporation is to make money, not help people. Say they developed a cure for a communicable disease, like AIDS. They could make a lot of money marketing it, but eventually the disease would be wiped out. The more profitable thing to do would be develop a treatment that does not quite cure it and sell it as expensively as the market would bear... Ephedrine is good example of this. Ephedrine was developed on federal research grants, it was cheap and effective, it couldnt be patented though. Various drug companies started a smear campaign saying it was unsafe and pushing their own more profitable but less effective drugs.

Also gov't research is more or less mandated/validated in Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the Constitution [Taxation Clause/General Welfare Clause]:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

Last edited:
Bush never has to veto anything because when he says "Dude, I'm totally going to veto that" his little fellating Republican cohorts stumble over themselves to change whatever they had introduced that annoyed him. So basically he has vetoed like 153 things.

Sarcasmo said:
Bush never has to veto anything because when he says "Dude, I'm totally going to veto that" his little fellating Republican cohorts stumble over themselves to change whatever they had introduced that annoyed him. So basically he has vetoed like 153 things.
I figured he just never knew what 'veto' meant until today.

shawndavid said:
While countries like China continue to hone the craft of stem cell utiliziation...feck...

I see the future and it's no taller than 5'7"...

11 companies are curently working on stem-cell research. Harvard in partitular now processes as many research requests for its stem-cell lines as the National Institutes of Health does.

FlyNavy said:

I honestly think the government could use the money *semi* effectively. More than that though, vetoing the bill sends a bad message about stem cell research to an ignorant public. Fertility clinics throw away hundreds, if not thousands, of viable embryos every day. For every 'snowflake baby' that Bush can show me I can show him a thousand washed down the drain constantly.

I also have a spankerchief with enough population paste on it to seed another planet.

This is one of the few things that GW Bush has done right in the domestic area while in office. First off GW has fulled funded Adult Stem Cell (ACS) research. He has also fully funded Embryonic Stem Cell (ESC) research for the exsisting embryonic stem cell lines. What GW did veto was a bill that would have been unlimited funding for ESC research. This would have turned human beings into nothing more then factory products.

Stem Cell Research

Arátoeldar said:
This is one of the few things that GW Bush has done right in the domestic area while in office. First off GW has fulled funded Adult Stem Cell (ACS) research. He has also fully funded Embryonic Stem Cell (ESC) research for the exsisting embryonic stem cell lines. What GW did veto was a bill that would have been unlimited funding for ESC research. This would have turned human beings into nothing more then factory products.

Stem Cell Research
You can't really be serious. My spidey senses are tingling with sarcasm. Help me out here.

FlamingGlory said:
Also gov't research is more or less mandated/validated in Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the Constitution [Taxation Clause/General Welfare Clause]:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.
While that opens the door for government research it's a long ways away from saying it's mandated. In either case it all depends on whether or not people believe this is for the general welfare of the people.