Holy Crap!

theacoustician said:
There's only one toll booth in Georgia and its on GA400.

Just wait. Used to be that way in Texas, too. Now the fad is making every single new highway a toll road because we don't know how to manage our money (read: taxdollars).

Sarcasmo said:
Just wait. Used to be that way in Texas, too. Now the fad is making every single new highway a toll road because we don't know how to manage our money (read: taxdollars).

What irks me to no end is that they have the nerve to charge us to drive on a road that they built with our money to begin with:mad:

Drool-Boy said:
What irks me to no end is that they have the nerve to charge us to drive on a road that they built with our money to begin with:mad:

That's what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure that should be illegal.

Drool-Boy said:

That's just what the government does. It's just like every other form of taxation. You pay income tax, sales tax, and buisness taxes. They screw ya every which way they can.

National Retail Sales Tax FTW!

Pandora said:
That's just what the government does. It's just like every other form of taxation. You pay income tax, sales tax, and buisness taxes. They screw ya every which way they can.

National Retail Sales Tax FTW!

And then when you die they tax what you've got left. "Death Tax". :lol: What a crock. I wish this country were communist. At least then they'd be up front about screwing us.

ChikkenNoodul said:
:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, at least fascists were up front about it
o_0

Either way back on topic.

NYS Thruway which cost a considerable amount of money to drive on (like $3 for 60 miles) use to be the best paved road in the state, never had any snow on it in the winter, no cracks bumps etc. Then the governour decided to siphon money from the thruway to build up the canal system (that's right CANALS) for tour boaters from NYC. Now it's about $.60 more to drive on it and it's the crappiest ass expressway youve ever seen. :(

Yes this had nothing to do with the thread.

Well, what happened around here was that the state of illinois contracted with some company to do all of the roads, paid them up front, and had the work guaranteed to be done in 5 years. That was 30 years ago. What ended up happening was that the contractor took the money, only paved 1/2 of regulation (so half the thickness of what the roads were supposed to be) with inferior material, so before the road was even done, it would need patching, so this same company has been paid to patch the roads it messed up every year for the past 30 years. For some reason in the past year, this all came to light and the state got someone else in to do the road construction and re do all of the roads that should have been done 25 years ago.

Which is why we say up here we have 2 seasons, winter and road construction.

Now, with the tolls, we just got done with a huge refirb there too. All of our tolls DOUBLED recently for cash payers, unless you have the I-Pass, you're paying between 80 cents and 1.50 per toll. On the same token, the state also hired an auditing firm to go through the last 15 years of toll tapes to actually catch all of the toll offenders.

The way THAT works is that you blow a toll, it's okay, you do it again, shame on you, after 5 times, you get a bill in the mail.. Not only do they charge you the toll you blew, but a $20 fine for EACH offense... so what was a 50 cent toll has turned into a 102.50 fine (cuz you dont' get the statement till you do it 5 times)

We recently went throught a big amnesty thing here, because not only were people getting their $20 processing fee, but major fines on top of that, so for someone who (over the past 15 years) blew through say, 20 tolls (and sometimes there are no attendants on duty and if you don't have change... what can you do?) they have toll bills in the thousands.

One of Ryan's friends was recently over and he had his arbitration date for amnesty recently, his six THOUSAND dollar fine got talked down to like fifteen hundred, and he has another friend who owes upwards of SIXTY grand for tolls. Apparently the guy never once paid a toll.

And around here there are just sometimes that you can't avoid taking the tolls.

So, no matter how bad ya'll think you have it, nobody has a more corrupt road system than Illinois :o

zengirl said:

Did the state of Illinois sue the company who built the roads? There's a heck of an argument for negligence and fraud there, if they're also profiting from repair work on their defective roadwork.

Sarcasmo said:
Did the state of Illinois sue the company who built the roads? There's a heck of an argument for negligence and fraud there, if they're also profiting from repair work on their defective roadwork.
No because I think the politicians in charge were in on it :fly:

There are all sorts of indictments and investigations going on now around here.